Looking to build a garage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2 car attached garage and I'm looking into building a detached 3 car for my 2 project cars and tools etc. Thought would be a bay for each car (1970 Chevelle and a 73 FJ40) and 1 bay for tools, desk etc. No need to store lawn etc equipment, there's another shed for that.

What do you guys recommend for size? I contacted several contractors and asked for bids on 36 X 25,
38 X 26 or 40 X 30. Though I think I can only afford 36x25.

I'm currently doing the ground work for a similar project. A 28x32 detached garage with an 8' lean-to off of one side. Similar to the pic. My plan is to get the Subaru and the LC inside and put the Jeep and small camper under the lean-to during. There should be plenty of depth in front of the inside vehicles for a workshop area. The plan is for 2 doors on front and one on the back for toy access.

Back to your original question, 900 sq ft with the 36x25 should be sufficient for what you want it for. But for a similar price, you may want to consider some more square rather than rectangle. It may or may not work for you but it is something to consider. 28' wide will give me plenty of work space around each vehicle and give me some extra depth when working on the front / engine of the vehicle.

fullsizeoutput_9eb.jpeg

I did a 36 x 48 Pole barn last year and am very happy with how it turned out size wise.
A couple of 'no option' items i did were:
1. garage bays were 12' wide w 10' wide doors.
the width allows me to open doors on cars in the bays w/o having to bang the other car. and the 10' wide doors lets me work on cars that are partially in the garage and I can also fit between the car and the door opening.
2. I got sliding doors on the ends, 12' wide. DONT DO IT.
The sliders are hell/impossible to keep the wind from whistling through in the winter.
3. Skylights. I have a steel roof and the clear panels fit right in where a steel one would be. Thats the best thing I did.
4. the other thing to watch for is to make sure you have enough room for your vehicle, you and a full size work bench. so a 24' depth should be MINIMUM. Bigger is always better.
Dont skrimp on size to save money. If you cant work comfortably in your shop you'll be very sorry!
Bobmo

Make it tall in at least one bay so you can add a twin post lift.

Just a side note, child labor helps offset some costs if the budget is tight. ;)

F6FB48B5-FE04-410B-B593-631800D09E44.jpeg
7A5544D6-FB3A-4F54-8F3E-1A76B2B994DD.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom