Joined the Club! 2019 Magnetic Gray/Terra (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked her up late last night!

Got home late and had to get to work early, so I haven't even really been able to enjoy it yet. Already trying to decide whether to run the Dunlops for a while or just go ahead and jump to the BFG AT KO2's in 285/65.

Looking forward to geeking out with the manuals this weekend and hopefully learning more about the vehicle. Will post questions here.

Oh, and for what it's worth, the first car I ever bought was a 2006 Toyota 4Runner V8 Sport Edition 4x4 in Shadow Mica, so I feel like I'm getting back to my roots after driving a few German sports sedans in the interim. Glad to be back in a Toyota SUV!

Last edited:
I know what you mean about geeking out. I always enjoy reading the manuals with it in the garage. Meanwhile my wife looks at me like I'm a complete dork. Enjoy, well done!

Of course post a pic! The manuals are a good read. I'm so geeky about it I've got Post-It notes all through mine. ;)

Congrats!

The first things I did for my '18 were to order the console tray from Amazon, put in the spring spacers/front leveling kit, spray the KDSS with LPS9, tint the wondows and get the road hazard warranty for the Dunlops from Discount tire. I decided to put a few miles on them while I get used to the truck and add BFGs later.

Have you noted any changes in the '19? I figured they'd migrate a few more subtle details from the LX, like one touch passing turn signals, the way they added the electric lift gate and slow close/open lower hatch in '18.

Congrats!

The first things I did for my '18 were to order the console tray from Amazon, put in the spring spacers/front leveling kit, spray the KDSS with LPS9, tint the wondows and get the road hazard warranty for the Dunlops from Discount tire. I decided to put a few miles on them while I get used to the truck and add BFGs later.

Have you noted any changes in the '19? I figured they'd migrate a few more subtle details from the LX, like one touch passing turn signals, the way they added the electric lift gate and slow close/open lower hatch in '18.

Appreciate the tips. I'm guessing the console tray sits in the icebox?

After driving a few days on the Dunlops, I'm tempted to just roll with them for a while before I start modifying. Discount said they'd only probably give me about $50/tire anyway. I had the dealer tint the front windows and throw in the all-weather floor and cargo mats; otherwise, everything is currently stock.

I'm not aware of any changes. One of the minor annoyances is the lack of one-touch passing turn signals, like you mention. My BMW's always had that, and I've grown accustomed to it. I also miss heads-up display a bit.

I'll try to get some pics this weekend. I've been working dark-to-dark this week, plus it's been raining here for what seems a month.

After driving a few days on the Dunlops, I'm tempted to just roll with them for a while before I start modifying.

They aren't cheap, but I felt like the KO2s really changed my truck for the better, to the point where cancelling my suspension upgrade crossed my mind. Plus they make the truck look "right".

Congrats on the new rig.

They aren't cheap, but I felt like the KO2s really changed my truck for the better, to the point where cancelling my suspension upgrade crossed my mind. Plus they make the truck look "right".

Congrats on the new rig.

Glad for that feedback. Part of my reluctance in moving that direction is that the truck has such a nice ride right now, and I worry going to the BFGs might negate that. My wife's 2500 Suburban rides on E-rated KO2's, and it's definitely a rougher ride, but I think it's a rougher ride regardless probably.

How did you decide between 275/70 and 285/65? I'm guessing in Chicago, you have to think about ice/snow, so the narrower width was more attractive? I'm tempted to go the 285/65 route since that's not a consideration for me and the truck seems to sit plenty high already.

Picked her up late last night!

Got home late and had to get to work early, so I haven't even really been able to enjoy it yet. Already trying to decide whether to run the Dunlops for a while or just go ahead and jump to the BFG AT KO2's in 285/65.

Looking forward to geeking out with the manuals this weekend and hopefully learning more about the vehicle. Will post questions here.

Oh, and for what it's worth, the first car I ever bought was a 2006 Toyota 4Runner V8 Sport Edition 4x4 in Shadow Mica, so I feel like I'm getting back to my roots after driving a few German sports sedans in the interim. Glad to be back in a Toyota SUV!
Welcome, and have fun with that amazing vehicle! Hope to see you out on the trail.

For you tire choice. My recommendation, run the stocks till you pop one. You’ll get almost no money for them, and the most you’ll be doing is saving tread on KO2s you’ll eventually get, when you need them.

My parents bought an ‘18, and they are ready to buy their LT tires, but until they damage a stock tire, why send money to start burning out a tire that using yet needed?

They have done an outer banks and New England back roads trip so far. Nothing too rocky, if that helps you make a decision.

Welcome, and have fun with that amazing vehicle! Hope to see you out on the trail.

For you tire choice. My recommendation, run the stocks till you pop one. You’ll get almost no money for them, and the most you’ll be doing is saving tread on KO2s you’ll eventually get, when you need them.

My parents bought an ‘18, and they are ready to buy their LT tires, but until they damage a stock tire, why send money to start burning out a tire that using yet needed?

They have done an outer banks and New England back roads trip so far. Nothing too rocky, if that helps you make a decision.
I'm tempted to go that route. I did the same thing with my old 4Runner -- ran the Dunflop AT20's until they wore out (which I don't remember being terribly long) and then upgraded to Michelin LTX AT2's.

Here's a Q for you guys -- I ended up springing for the Platinum warranty and maintenance plan, so I think I'm covered for pretty much everything for six years. Am I a sucker?

I'm tempted to go that route. I did the same thing with my old 4Runner -- ran the Dunflop AT20's until they wore out (which I don't remember being terribly long) and then upgraded to Michelin LTX AT2's.

Here's a Q for you guys -- I ended up springing for the Platinum warranty and maintenance plan, so I think I'm covered for pretty much everything for six years. Am I a sucker?

Nope, not a sucker. These things have some expensive parts (understatement of the month) and the maintenance plan could help keep that cost within reason too. I did the same thing and to be honest, it helps me enjoy the truck knowing I won't be out potentially $1000s if something goes wonky.

I bought the same warranty. Chances are that I won't need it. But it wouldn't take much for it to pay for itself -- if the infotainment system craps out, that's a $4k part.

Congrats on a 2019!
This thread makes me realize how old the 200 is technologically. Mechanically, an ongoing beast, but inside, the earlier are closer to the 100, which, as all things come, more will desire to have the less techy stuff, but still. 11yrs... Gotta love a sure bet!

Glad for that feedback. Part of my reluctance in moving that direction is that the truck has such a nice ride right now, and I worry going to the BFGs might negate that. My wife's 2500 Suburban rides on E-rated KO2's, and it's definitely a rougher ride, but I think it's a rougher ride regardless probably.

How did you decide between 275/70 and 285/65? I'm guessing in Chicago, you have to think about ice/snow, so the narrower width was more attractive? I'm tempted to go the 285/65 route since that's not a consideration for me and the truck seems to sit plenty high already.

There is a 285/60/18 D-rated BFG KO2. I put the 275/70 E tires on my stock wheels, it was rough as hell, so I sold them and moved to the D-rated. I feel like it's a much smoother ride compared to E, but YMMV. I wanted a bigger tire, but I also like being comfortable during a 12-hour drive. I wish they made a D-rated 275/70, I would definitely switch.

Congrats on a 2019!
This thread makes me realize how old the 200 is technologically. Mechanically, an ongoing beast, but inside, the earlier are closer to the 100, which, as all things come, more will desire to have the less techy stuff, but still. 11yrs... Gotta love a sure bet!

Huh?

Looking forward to geeking out with the manuals this weekend and hopefully learning more about the vehicle.

You aren’t FULLY geeking out until you download the PDF version manual to your phone or tablet and read it on the pooper. :flush:

Get with it, man! :hillbilly:

Anyway...congrats, and welcome.

Markuson

Congrats on a 2019!

I believe that was some new sort of internet, long-form Haiku... :hillbilly:

I think I used the tire database to see what might have lower rubbing on my planned setup. I didn't dwell on it too long. 200 Series Tire and Wheel Size Database
It still rode great, just not so much wallow when turning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom