2LTE - Transmission (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It works with the R series manuals (eg. R151), G? series manuals I believe, and with the A34x series autos (eg. A343F). Will need the matching bell housing of course.

The G-series manuals came behind the 3L in Prados and Hiluxes, with the same bell housing a 2L-TE would probably bolt right up. The R-series is probably best for a 2L-TE because they're stronger. Mine is an R150f, same transmission as the V6 4Runner, Pickup, T100 and early Tacoma.

Thanks a lot guys , so should a transmission from a 2000 4 Runner fit into the 2 LTE Prado 1990 SX 5 and will have no problems with the 4x4 .......

Again APPRECIATE YOUR HELP !!!!

Thanks a lot guys , so should a transmission from a 2000 4 Runner fit into the 2 LTE Prado 1990 SX 5 and will have no problems with the 4x4 .......

Again APPRECIATE YOUR HELP !!!!

It'll bolt to the R bell housing for the 2LTE, but the transfer case in the 4-Runner is totally different. The Prado LJ78 runs a heavy duty land cruiser split transfer case. And my understanding is, the split transfer case cannot just bolt to the 4-runner version R150 transmission.

You should look at @AirheadNut 's build thread. He's done a bunch of work on the R150 series for his Prado. He might know what needs to be switched inside the 4Runner R150 to make it work with a landcruiser split case.

The G-series manuals came behind the 3L in Prados and Hiluxes, with the same bell housing a 2L-TE would probably bolt right up. The R-series is probably best for a 2L-TE because they're stronger. Mine is an R150f, same transmission as the V6 4Runner, Pickup, T100 and early Tacoma.

My transmission is going out and to fix it here in Ontario they are asking for an Arm and Leg , how did you bolt that transmission to the Prado, HELP is greatly appreciated , like a list of parts or pics / Videos

My transmission is going out and to fix it here in Ontario they are asking for an Arm and Leg , how did you bolt that transmission to the Prado, HELP is greatly appreciated , like a list of parts or pics / Videos

Which transmission do you have, and what is the problem with it?

Assuming that you currently have the A343f automatic transmission, besides the manual transmission you'll need to get the R-series 2L-TE bell housing, a manual flywheel/clutch kit, a clutch pedal, master and slave cylinder and the associated hydraulic lines, and either a stock Prado transfer adaptor and transmission output shaft or a kit to adapt the 4Runner/Tacoma transfer adaptor to the split case, like this: Toyota R150F/R151F to Toyota Gear Drive 23 Spline Transfer Case Adapter

My Prado came from the factory with the R150f. Inside it is basically the same as the ones used in North America, but the output shaft has a different spline and the transfer adaptor is different to bolt to the Land Cruiser split case rather than the chain drive transfer cases found in 4Runners and pickups.

Assuming that you currently have the A343f automatic transmission, besides the manual transmission you'll need to get the R-series 2L-TE bell housing, a manual flywheel/clutch kit, a clutch pedal, master and slave cylinder and the associated hydraulic lines, and either a stock Prado transfer adaptor and transmission output shaft or a kit to adapt the 4Runner/Tacoma transfer adaptor to the split case, like this: Toyota R150F/R151F to Toyota Gear Drive 23 Spline Transfer Case Adapter

My Prado came from the factory with the R150f. Inside it is basically the same as the ones used in North America, but the output shaft has a different spline and the transfer adaptor is different to bolt to the Land Cruiser split case rather than the chain drive transfer cases found in 4Runners and pickups.

I have an Auto in my Prado want to keep the same what are my options

Ok, if you’re looking at keeping the auto then you can disregard what I said previously. I’m not entirely sure what all came with the A343f auto, I think the 100-series did, and possibly the later 80-series, but no North American 4Runners. I’m not sure if or how the transmission is different for those different applications, but I seem to remember that it doesn’t have a separate bellhousing; if so you will have to find one from a 2L-TE powered Prado or Hilux Surf. What exactly is the problem with yours?

The engine may have different engine mount brackets like some of the other Toyota diesels . This means you have to add your old ones to the donor engine.
The air intake may face in a different direction, but again you can probably use your old one on the donor engine.
And maybe the outlet for the radiator hose will also point the wrong way.
This is because they were fitted to a wide range of Hiluxes , Landcruisers , Dynas and Hiace over the years.
If any of them are radically different ,it will be the 5L
If you dont get all the answers here try some of the aussie forums where a few of the guys have swapped 3L for 5L , but not many do engine swaps on Hiaces.

Can you describe what is wrong with it? These transmission are normally really tough and good. Only thing that usually kills them is if they're overheated badly.

When have you last done a complete flush of the transmission (not just the pan)? Things that I've heard go wrong with these transmission are capacitors going in the ECU (controls transmission), and also the shift solenoids in the valve body. Both of those are relatively cheap things to fix. Definitely cheaper than sourcing a new transmission.

If your transmission really is toast, there are import parts places up here that have salvaged good A343F transmissions. With shipping etc, it would be pricey to get one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom