1fzfe longevity (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just a quick question and it's more open to opinion and experience. I want to get people's opinion and experience of how long inline 6 for a 97 Land Cruiser and or Lexus, the 1FZFE engine how many miles if you change the oil regularly can a person expect? I've heard a solid 300,000 I've heard 275,000. About how many miles to people start experiencing not major problems but not light problems either maybe medium problems?

With regular maintenance 300k+ is easy. Depends on that original head gasket from the 90's. I am at 275k miles with OG head gasket, others have not been as lucky.

Just a quick question and it's more open to opinion and experience. I want to get people's opinion and experience of how long inline 6 for a 97 Land Cruiser and or Lexus, the 1FZFE engine how many miles if you change the oil regularly can a person expect? I've heard a solid 300,000 I've heard 275,000. About how many miles to people start experiencing not major problems but not light problems either maybe medium problems?

I think putting aside ~$10K for an engine overhaul when the headgasket hits the fan is the only real limiting factor engine-wise. Not bad at all relative to other cool vehicles.

But honestly, you don't just drive the engine. You enjoy the whole thing. This is where the $$$s start adding up especially if you don't wrench yourself. That's my reality.

I've never opened mine up but have heard from others that their 250k+ engines still have a solid bottom end. On mine with 308k I could see eventually needing to do some head work but there's no indication the bottom end needs anything.

I think putting aside ~$10K for an engine overhaul when the headgasket hits the fan is the only real limiting factor engine-wise. Not bad at all relative to other cool vehicles.

But honestly, you don't just drive the engine. You enjoy the whole thing. This is where the $$$s start adding up especially if you don't wrench yourself. That's my reality.
I agree with your statement of you enjoy the whole thing not just the engine... that said the interior could use a facelift or summer Newell does anyone know a good place where I can find new carpet new not used new faux-wood sticky panels new door rubber and window regulators / motor new leather seat covers Factory original where you use hog ring pliers and all that both where your butt sits and your back rest front seats and new sunroof / moonroof rubber.

Open to anybody if someone were to replace the 1Fz FE engine with a long block what other components would you replace along with it like the computer sensors rubber...
What you save up to replace the transmission also since you take the engine and transmission out at the same time?

There are so many factors that come into play, this could be a moot point.

The known issue of the FIRST head gasket, of course.
Then there are valve seal replacements.

Then there are the recommended service intervals. Those are listed in the FSM, but have already been exceeded by many on here.

My truck had the HG replaced and the head rebuilt at 145K. It now has 276K on it and all is in excellent shape and does not use oil. However, I am a DD and a mall crawler.

Those in the deserts of Africa will have a very different longevity compared to the Mall Crawlers of America......

If a vehicle sits for weeks at a time, that is VERY hard on rings, bearings, and seals. The oil drains down and starts up dry, the acids in the oils attack bearings, the stagnant fluids don't circulate and are allowed to have an electrolytic process act on the nearby metals because they don't move. The moisture in the ambient air migrates in and out of the block through thermal cycling and causing moisture integration in areas that would normally be hot enough that the moisture would not even be there.

Read in my sig line about dis-use.......

173k on mine. Just pushed its wits going driving 900 miles non-stop (only for gas and snacks) and another 900 back and the engine feels stronger than ever.

I di the top half at 340K for valve seals. Lower end was in pristine condition, rings still in great shape. Head can be decked about three times at 300K intervals per FSM. So, a good long time if you are willing to rebuild a few times. Betcha get tired of the truck before the useful life is gone. Blasphemy, I know.

update all your cooling, keep the engine running cool and regular oil change goes a long way for these engines.

I would say a reasonable estimate is 50 years if the head gets done at least once and you drive roughly 10,000 miles per year. My truck is going to be 25 years old in a few months and it was probably about half way finished with it's life span when I bought it. If I would have done nothing more than just fixed whatever broke, I could have easily seen another 20 years of use out of it the way I use it. Of course I went bonkers and just replaced pretty much everything, but even when I did the head, I really saw no reason to do anything with the bottom end. All that stuff is crazy stout. It's hard to wear out if you aren't beating on the truck. There is no reason my truck won't last at least another 25 years, even if all I do from here on out is replace parts as they wear out, provided I can get them.

I've never opened mine up but have heard from others that their 250k+ engines still have a solid bottom end. On mine with 308k I could see eventually needing to do some head work but there's no indication the bottom end needs anything.

Mine has never been opened either. I'm at 302,000 now. Will replace the head gasket soon as a preventative measure and have the head freshened up, but it runs fine.

Thinking about pulling the engine next spring and replacing all the gaskets. The engine is leaking oil more than I would like, but runs like a top.

If I do that I will look at the bearings (Main and rod bearings). May or may not re-ring it. I have right at 190 psi on all 6 cylinders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom