H55f clutch slave cylinder ID (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, read a few threads about it but haven't really gotten a good anwser.

Yes I realized I missed the T in clutch in the title.

I have a H55f swap on the 2F and was unsure of which slave cylinder I have. As you can see mine has gone out and won't hold pressure.

Wanted to check before I go and order one .

Cheers in advance!!

Screenshot_20181018-101133.png

I think they are right about an 7/8” bore.
It shouldn’t matter bough, they’re all the same bore.
You need to order based on what bellhousing you have, either 81-84 (big 2F stamp) or 85-87 (big 3F stamp).
If I remember right the only difference is the spacing of the bolt holes on the clutch slave body are slightly different depending on which set of years it’s intended for.

When I did the H55 swap on a friend's BJ60, we had 2 different bellhousings that had different bolt spacing as matt suggested above. The differences in can be seen below from cruiser outfitter's page:

CSN60091N.jpg
Clutch Slave Cylinder - $37.50
AISIN High Quality Japanese Cylinder
(Fits HJ4x & HJ6x Applications, call for specifics)
Part# CSN60091N

CSN60110N.jpg
Clutch Slave Cylinder - $37.50
AISIN High Quality Japanese Cylinder
(Fits BJ4x & BJ6x Applications, call for specifics)
Part# CSN60110N

That second one is for a 3B bellhousing, completely different for from the 2F clutch slaves. There are two different FJ60 2F clutch slaves though.

That second one is for a 3B bellhousing, completely different for from the 2F clutch slaves. There are two different FJ60 2F clutch slaves though.
We had one of the top slave cylinders above on a 3B bellhousing as well. It seemed odd, but we hodge-podged it together and it worked.

The picture above shows the early model siave cylinder.

31470-60081 (Used up to 4/85)

The picture above shows the early model siave cylinder.

31470-60081 (Used up to 4/85)

Your part number is right, but that picture is not. That’s a 3B slave. Completely different.

If I recall correctly, one of the differences between the early and late 2f slave cylinders is one has an adjustable rod and one is fixed length? The later - after 9/85 is the fixed rod type?

I don't recall the model numbers.

If I recall correctly, one of the differences between the early and late 2f slave cylinders is one has an adjustable rod and one is fixed length? The later - after 9/85 is the fixed rod type?

I don't recall the model numbers.

This

Diagram showing the clutch slave cylinder used on Canadian HJ60s with the H55f:

H55f Clutch Slave.png

Here's a diagram of the earlier (pre 4/85) slave cylinder on the US H42s:

H42 Clutch Slave.png

I hate the blue color.

And, I'd replace the master at the same time. They have a habit of failing close to each other.

I think they are right about an 7/8” bore.
It shouldn’t matter bough, they’re all the same bore.
You need to order based on what bellhousing you have, either 81-84 (big 2F stamp) or 85-87 (big 3F stamp).
If I remember right the only difference is the spacing of the bolt holes on the clutch slave body are slightly different depending on which set of years it’s intended for.
Used the search function to try and understand more about clutch release cylinder and bell housing configurations and stumbled on this old thread. My configuration is H55F mated to 3F BH with 85+ clutch release cylinder, with 85+ clutch fork all installed in a 77 40 with new clutch master cylinder. I’ve experienced two premature clutch release cylinder failures. Premature because the 40 has really yet to see street miles, only shake down runs around the neighborhood. The first clutch cylinder failure I chalked it up to a defective unit. When the second occurred I became more suspicious. I’ve ordered a new cylinder but don’t know that the third unit will behave better given sample size. Each time the failure is loss of clutch pedal pressure, with brake fluid dripping out of cylinder where it meets the boot. Just my peanut gallery observation but it seems like the pre 85 design with clutch rod adjustment and return spring were a potentially better design than what I have installed. But that may just be due to an issue related to something I’m overlooking. Willing to post up a photo if there is interest.

Used the search function to try and understand more about clutch release cylinder and bell housing configurations and stumbled on this old thread. My configuration is H55F mated to 3F BH with 85+ clutch release cylinder, with 85+ clutch fork all installed in a 77 40 with new clutch master cylinder. I’ve experienced two premature clutch release cylinder failures. Premature because the 40 has really yet to see street miles, only shake down runs around the neighborhood. The first clutch cylinder failure I chalked it up to a defective unit. When the second occurred I became more suspicious. I’ve ordered a new cylinder but don’t know that the third unit will behave better given sample size. Each time the failure is loss of clutch pedal pressure, with brake fluid dripping out of cylinder where it meets the boot. Just my peanut gallery observation but it seems like the pre 85 design with clutch rod adjustment and return spring were a potentially better design than what I have installed. But that may just be due to an issue related to something I’m overlooking. Willing to post up a photo if there is interest.
That sounds like the slave cyl is over-extending.
That happened to me in early 2921 on a 85-87 60 I installed an H55f in but I’m struggling to remember what the cause was at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom