Window wont roll down when cold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I try to roll down my my driver window is stopping about an inch from the top. It only happens now that it is getting cooler. in the afternoon it will work almost normal. After looking at some threads I think it is the window runs. Please confirm my suspicions before I spend the cash to replace them all.

Pretty common symptoms when it gets cold and it seems to nearly always be the window runs as the main issue. Had the same thing on mine, replaced them, and now they work well. Smooth and steady all the way to the top. Still not super fast, but they are 25 year old motors powering them too, and I have no idea how fast they were when new.

Pretty common symptoms when it gets cold and it seems to nearly always be the window runs as the main issue. Had the same thing on mine, replaced them, and now they work well. Smooth and steady all the way to the top. Still not super fast, but they are 25 year old motors powering them too, and I have no idea how fast they were when new.

Did you replace the motors with factory Toyota or aftermarket?

33B520F3-C093-4FDB-A328-8590FD776170.jpeg
13996C4C-A310-43CC-AB1A-7653FE775239.jpeg
73C345CB-BC1C-435D-82A2-630B55A4B5B2.jpeg
@cruisersurf
My driver window was still hanging up like yours not long after replacing the window runs so I used this Dorman motor from AutoZone and it has held up well. IIRC it was $60 or $70 some dollars. Just be sure to remove the plug from your stock motor and put it on the new motor wiring. For some reason they included half a dozen different plugs with the motor but none of them work for the 80 series.
BTW-The wire ends snap right into the factory connector.

7A6B5744-BED4-4803-BEBE-090D042389E3.jpeg

The answer is "D". All of the above.

The truck is 21 years old, minimum. The sun has cooked and dried out things.

Replace your window runs, belt mouldings, and remove, clean, and re-lube your window regulator and motor and you'll be GTG. Assume about 8 hours per door (per how long it takes me and I'm slow.)

Do a search for recent threads, as there have been (3) threads on this same subject in the last week. It's starting to get cold in the USA and these threads pop up at this time of year, just like all the AC threads start to pop up in May.

Last edited:
Replaced the window runs with OEM stock and lubed the regulator last weekend. Made a significant difference on both window speed and smoothness. Also noticed a major reduction in wind noise at highway speed. Easy install once you have done one. First door took 90 minutes; second less than 30 minutes. You do not need to remove the window as others have suggested. By applying lube or soapy water to the window run, you can slide it down the channels in the door. Use a flashlight to look down from above to watch the stripping slide down the channel to get over the window glass. On one door, I had to loosen the speaker to get the strip to move past the rear magnet. Lube and patience is your fiend.

What are the belt moldings? Pic please?

Belt mouldings are the rubber strip section on the inside and outside of the door glass where you lay your arm when the window is down. They go from the front of the door to the rear of the door.

My rubber is in good shape, but over time it had gotten pretty grimy. Before I spent a bunch of money on new runs, I tried just cleaning the old ones well and getting them good and saturated with the Gummi Pflege Stift https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...argid=kwd-348898706555&ref=pd_sl_7nnefgkdgn_e

It made a massive improvement and I didn't have to buy any new parts. My windows go up and down now in temps down to -35F.

My windows work perfect all summer, come the cold they slow down, on occasion they stop. So I try not to use them. When I get the time I will replace the rubbers. If you keep pushing the buttons you burn up the switch contacts and damage the motors.

Regards

Dave

What do you all think about this product Premium RV Slide Out Rubber Seal Conditioner and Protectant - 14 oz - Thetford 32778 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NJ6EZ8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_JvAYBbX721SD1

Seems like if you took out the door runs, cleaned them up with soapy water and used this you'd potentially be in good shape! Or at least better...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom