FJ62 hard start, wire from dist to coil? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 89 FJ62 3FE has had starting issues for a while. Mudd has been a life saver! If this has already been answered somewhere I'm sorry I must have missed it. Anyway, here's some background: the fuel pressure regulator, cold start timer, fuel pump relay, igniter (ICM whatever its called?? the silver thing on top of the coil), alternator, spark plugs, wires, dizzy cap and rotor have all been replaced. It was doing okay, but hardly ever started right up. Then after sitting for a few days in the garage, thanks to tropical storm Michael, it wouldn't start at all. It would crank and I could hear the fuel pump, but no start. I pulled codes 12, 22, 24, 28, 31, and 43. The O2 sensors need replacing, but I have to wait until I replace the exhaust from the manifold to the cats before replacing those. If I wiggle and jam the wire running from the middle of the dizzy into the coil it will start almost instantly. (jam it into the coil side, totally a lucky find). My hubby usually helps me with part replacement, but my job is to troubleshoot and purchase parts. I am by no means mechanically inclined but I try....so be nice to me if I screw up or ask a dumb question...I'm learning :)
My questions:
1. Do you think it's the wire or the coil itself, or maybe both? I went ahead and ordered a new coil because that probably needs replacing too (or will in the future), but I have no idea what to call that wire (ignition coil wire??) or if you can just replace it (or is it a more extensive repair)?
2. For the other codes I ordered a water temp sensor and wire connector (code 22 maybe 23?), ignition starter switch (last one from Rock, to possibly fix code 43) Am I missing anything other than the mass Air flow meter part # 22250-61010 (for code 31)? Figured I'd wait on that one since it is kinda expensive and I don't think that has anything to do with the starting issue. Then again what do I know? Please tell me if you think this is a priority fix because of other issues.
3. Last one...I think.. How many U joints are in an FJ62 and are the front and rear the same part number? I've looked up diagrams and even googled it but can't seem to find a definitive number. I have a clunking noise in reverse. As soon as my dad heard it he said it was the U-joints. The transmission was rebuilt not too long ago so I don't think it's a gear issue.

Thanks in advance for your time and any and all help. You all are awesome and I'm glad I have such an amazing cruiser loving community to turn to!
upload_2018-10-18_10-54-17.png
upload_2018-10-18_10-54-57.png

Can you post us a picture of your engine bay?

The spark plug wires come with the wire that goes from the coil to the top of the distributor. That is an easy wire to replace before buying lots of expensive parts. Test the continuity of the wire with a voltmeter. You have a lot of codes going on.

Looking at all your codes I'm going to suggest O2 sensor replacement immediately before dumping money into the other expensive parts. Your ECU is also coming up in every single code you are getting. Those aren't cheap and usually don't go bad. They are behind the glove box. It's worth pushing the connectors (3 of them) back into the ECU to see if you have any loose connections.

In Summary, install 2 new O2 sensors and a new spark plug wire from coil to distributor.

When was the last time your spark plugs were changed? Were they "gapped" correctly? That can also give you a lot of issues.

Last edited:
Spark plug gap is .031 inches per FSM.
upload_2018-10-18_10-8-42.png

upload_2018-10-18_10-9-1.png

The reason jamming in the coil wire works, is that you are moving the coil hold down cage, and re-establishing a solid ground.

Pull the coil holdown rack, clean bolt holes, and sand bottom of mount. Re-install.

Now take a wire a couple feet long, and attach it to one of the screws on the ignitor box. Usually one corner has a tiny ground, so don't use that one. attach to a solid ground on the body or the block. You should also check the ground strap on the back of the block to the firewall, and the major one down on the frame, near the starter.

PS, check the rotor inside distrib, sometimes losing the ground will cause arcing inside distrib.

Anyone have a picture of the ground on the back of the engine block?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom