OEM TPMS WTF (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently procured 4 Rock Warrior wheels and 4 new genuine Toyota TPMS sensors/fit kits. They were installed with some very manly looking LT285/70R17 Ridge Grapplers at Discount Tire (LT285/65R18 spare remains in stock location with original TPMS until I get me a 5th RW).

Upon installation, the guys at DT were unable get the TPMS programmed. It was suggested that I come back the next day to make another attempt, which I did to no avail.

I scheduled an appointment at my Toyota dealership one week after the install. In the interim, the TPMS idiot light is on and off sporadically. When it’s off, the spare tire’s TPMS registers on the dash readout.

Today, at the dealership they reported that they were unable to get a signal from any of the new TPMS sensors and believing they were aftermarket tried to get me to purchase new ones from them. After I explained they were not aftermarket and had been purchased from Toyota of Dallas, the service advisor explained “there’s the rest of the continental United States and then there’s Texas as far as Toyota is concerned.” He went on to speculate that Texas they may use a different TPMS frequency than the rest of America.

I attempted calling Dallas. Their voicemail states you will get a quicker response via email. So by email they reaffirmed the TPMS sensors in question are OEM and noted that it would be peculiar for all 4 to be defective. They reported that a national 12 month warranty is in effect so they could be swapped out with a receipt.

At this point, I had been there about 2.5 hrs. I was en route to back to the service department to speak with the brain trust when the advisor came out to hand me my key. He explained that it would have been $125 for the tearing down the tires, remounting and reprogramming but he wasn’t going to charge me because he’s not sure they actually accomplished anything. He explained that they reprogrammed the vehicle but that the TPMS light is still activated. He advised that I drive it and wait 48 hours. If it doesn’t deactivate I should return...

I presume I’ll be heading back in a few days to further address this, but in the meantime anyone have any advice beyond Texas being an island unto itself?

I recently procured 4 Rock Warrior wheels and 4 new genuine Toyota TPMS sensors/fit kits. They were installed with some very manly looking LT285/70R17 Ridge Grapplers at Discount Tire (LT285/65R18 spare remains in stock location with original TPMS until I get me a 5th RW).

Upon installation, the guys at DT were unable get the TPMS programmed. It was suggested that I come back the next day to make another attempt, which I did to no avail.

I scheduled an appointment at my Toyota dealership one week after the install. In the interim, the TPMS idiot light is on and off sporadically. When it’s off, the spare tire’s TPMS registers on the dash readout.

Today, at the dealership they reported that they were unable to get a signal from any of the new TPMS sensors and believing they were aftermarket tried to get me to purchase new ones from them. After I explained they were not aftermarket and had been purchased from Toyota of Dallas, the service advisor explained “there’s the rest of the continental United States and then there’s Texas as far as Toyota is concerned.” He went on to speculate that Texas they may use a different TPMS frequency than the rest of America.

I attempted calling Dallas. Their voicemail states you will get a quicker response via email. So by email they reaffirmed the TPMS sensors in question are OEM and noted that it would be peculiar for all 4 to be defective. They reported that a national 12 month warranty is in effect so they could be swapped out with a receipt.

At this point, I had been there about 2.5 hrs. I was en route to back to the service department to speak with the brain trust when the advisor came out to hand me my key. He explained that it would have been $125 for the tearing down the tires, remounting and reprogramming but he wasn’t going to charge me because he’s not sure they actually accomplished anything. He explained that they reprogrammed the vehicle but that the TPMS light is still activated. He advised that I drive it and wait 48 hours. If it doesn’t deactivate I should return...

I presume I’ll be heading back in a few days to further address this, but in the meantime anyone have any advice beyond Texas being an island unto itself?

According to the Toyota "Poop Sheet" for the TRD wheels (See it here: https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/ins...er TRD Alloy Wheel PTR45-34070-34120 IssF.pdf ) The Part# for the correct TPMS sensor for your 2014 LC200 is 42607-33011.

Is that the Part# of the sensors you installed? If not, that might be your problem.

HTH

According to the Toyota "Poop Sheet" for the TRD wheels (See it here: https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/installation/40362D86F9D917D98825767800785BB2_Tundra_Sequoia_Land Cruiser TRD Alloy Wheel PTR45-34070-34120 IssF.pdf ) The Part# for the correct TPMS sensor for your 2014 LC200 is 42607-33011.

Is that the Part# of the sensors you installed? If not, that might be your problem.

HTH
That is indeed the part number I requested when I placed the order. Of course, there’s no p/n listed in the confirmation email and I don’t have any of the packaging to verify...

Not trying to hijack, but the TPMS sensors are different from TRD RW wheels (which mine came with) to 200 series and not compatible?

FWIW I had a horrible time getting my TPMS squared away on my 16. I had the Ridge Grapplers installed at a major national chain (not Discount), and they broke a sensor. They replaced with an aftermarket one that caused none of them to read. They had the truck for 2 days and couldn't figure it out and just shrugged their shoulders and said "sorry". I took to the Toyota dealer which apparently also had a little bit of an issue with that one sensor, but an hour of labor and a new sensor (which they had to order) squared it away. I of course went back to the chain with the invoice and they reimbursed me. They said for whatever reason the 200 series causes them issues, and I believe it after reading a few posts like this. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Not trying to hijack, but the TPMS sensors are different from TRD RW wheels (which mine came with) to 200 series and not compatible?

Please see Page 3: https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/installation/40362D86F9D917D98825767800785BB2_Tundra_Sequoia_Land Cruiser TRD Alloy Wheel PTR45-34070-34120 IssF.pdf

As long as you had 20 Degree Toyota Sensors on your original wheels (i.e. NOT Tundra Steel Wheels) then they can be re-used on the RW wheels.

HTH

Edit to add: If your RW wheels came with TUNDRA TPMS Sensors, they may not be compatible with your LC200. Bottom line is, you should be using Sensor Part# 42607-33011.

I had figured I’d get new TPMS sensors so that the factory sensors would stay with the factory wheels in the event I should decide to run two sets of tires; however, its seeming to be more of a hassle so perhaps I should swap the factory sensors into the RWs...

If one of 5 TPMS is dead/wrong freq/or not installed, the sys fault light stay illuminated with no hint as to the fault. I found a '17 steel tundra wheel to use as a correct diameter spare tire with its TPMS still installed. My '11 LC cannot read the frequency of the '17 tundra TPMS. The system shuts down instead of telling me that there is a fault with one of the tires (spare tire). We have a Gen 1.0 TPMS system. My wife '06 Honda Pilot (basic model) tells us what tire is low or at fault. When I find an OEM '08-'11 spare wheel (hint hint) I will switch it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom