Power steering gearbox leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On my brother's 94 his shaft seal on his power steering gearbox is leaking like a submarine with a screen door, do they make a rebuild kit for it with seals and O-rings or is it not even worth it since you have to pull off anyway just replace it , and does anyone have a Toyota number or aisin number thanks

depending on how rusty and crusty the steering box is I would just replace it. I tried to rebuild mine but it was all rusted to the point I wasn't able to fully disassemble it, reman box cost about 400 or so.

I don't remember there being a a rebuild kit, I just ordered all the seals in the box

Yeah thanks Big Red being in Arizona there's absolutely no rust just a lot of dried oil and crud I'm probably just going to go remanufactured and replace the whole thing

West Texas Offroad rebuilds um pretty cheap

Okay thanks but it's probably not worth it shipping it there

Cruiseryard has remans.

There is a kit. Its about $200 from Mr T., i believe. I dont know the part number.

I have one for rebuild now as soon as i get this pitman arm off.

If you go the reman route, Id buy the leaky one off of ya. Im trying to get good at rebuilding them. PM me if interested.

I think theres a difference between a reseal and rebuild. Here is the rebuild parts list:

Toyota gear box reseal kit: 04445-60050
Power piston plunger guide nut: 44154-30020
Input shaft seal part number (not from Toyota See post #28): 18-32-7-DL

@Tools R Us whats the general wisdom on reseal vs rebuild? How does one know which path is appropriate?

Rebuild is the way to go. Reman gearboxes are way too pricey and it'll eventually leak on you. I've used the Gates kit to rebuild, it's not that difficult just try to keep ball bearings in housing. The rebuild gets way tougher if you have to get ball bearings put back in place.

Thanks for the info guys I'm going to call my napa guy and look into a rebuild kit

Thanks for the info guys I'm going to call my napa guy and look into a rebuild kit

If you want to pay the most possible for aftermarket, that is a great plan! Our experience is; all of them come from the same place, likely Sunsong, so best to shop by price, unless you care about the color of the box.

@Tools R Us whats the general wisdom on reseal vs rebuild? How does one know which path is appropriate?

My guess, call it what sounds best, not sure what you would "rebuild" that would be productive? We take them all of the way apart, except for the input valve/torsion bar, replace the seals as needed, reset the preloads, etc.

Other than units that have been stored off the rig, moisture gotten into them, rust, have never seen a questionable bearing, etc. Had one with bore/piston wear, not sure how you would rebuild it? A few with twisted sector shafts from accidents. In all of those cases, we just switch to a different core box. Have done a bunch of them, most all that worked, but leaked were good resealable cores, seals were all that was needed.

My guess, call it what sounds best, not sure what you would "rebuild" that would be productive? We take them all of the way apart, except for the input valve/torsion bar, replace the seals as needed, reset the preloads, etc.

Other than units that have been stored off the rig, moisture gotten into them, rust, have never seen a questionable bearing, etc. Had one with bore/piston wear, not sure how you would rebuild it? A few with twisted sector shafts from accidents. In all of those cases, we just switch to a different core box. Have done a bunch of them, most all that worked, but leaked were good resealable cores, seals were all that was needed.
Ok, yeah. Sounds like the same process im undertaking. Any reason you arent using the Toyota rebuild kit besides costs? Theres a good dozen or more seals/gaskets in this kit.

No I'll gladly go with the Toyota reseal kit if someone has a part number, it's my brothers 80 and he's a doctor so he doesn't really care what it cost

Ok, yeah. Sounds like the same process im undertaking. Any reason you arent using the Toyota rebuild kit besides costs? Theres a good dozen or more seals/gaskets in this kit.

Have used both types, but I don't feel it's necessary to pay Toyota to bless my o-rings. :hillbilly:

No I'll gladly go with the Toyota reseal kit if someone has a part number, it's my brothers 80 and he's a doctor so he doesn't really care what it cost
@Tools R Us Fair enough :grinpimp:

@sea bass part numbers are posted above and if you click the "see post 28" link, it'll take to a legit rebuild thread with pics

I have a few options for you if cost is no worries.. I'll sell you my truck for the going rate of 20k and you can take it's box

Option 2

FRONT STEERING GEAR & LINK | LAND CRUISER VAN FJ80,FZJ80,HDJ81,HZJ81 FZJ80G-GNPEK | Toyota | Genuine Parts Catalogs | PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World
Toyota
GASKET KIT, POWER STEERING GEAR(FOR RECIRCULATING BALL)
105.68$

Option 3 new box .. says 1 in stock..

Toyota 44110-60220 (4411060220) CARRIER, GEAR ASSY - Amayama

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom