Power Steering Cooler - Where did you mount yours? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'd like to see what people have done for power steering coolers. It's on the post pismo list.

In front of the condenser. Works great!

448CE3E1-073C-4808-A2FF-CE94A0438174.jpeg

Get one that's marketed as a power steering cooler, not a transmission cooler The ones designed for power steering are pretty small. The ones designed for transmissions cool the fluid too much especially in the winter.
The stock cooler is only a wrapped pipe. The power steering pump works best when the temperature of the fluid is above about 175°F. Fluid temp spec is in the FSM.

Last edited:
The power steering pump works best when the temperature of the fluid is above about 180°F. Fluid temp spec is in the FSM.

I did not know that, Thanks for the info!!

I did not know the fluid temperature spec was in the FSM.

Have tried using an FJ80 series PS cooler?
These do a great job......and are out of sight.......

I haven't mounted yet, but at some point was planning on adding a small, finned one like this: LINK

sum-331000_xl.jpg

Frank,
I'll have to check out a FZJ80 in person this saturday and make a determination. I have a normal finned small P/S cooler sitting in my garage that I may throw on since I have it already.

What is the max temp then for the PS fluid? Curious only a minimum listed. It seems like some sort of thermostatic control would be good so you don't over cool the fluid.

@doug720
Really like that placement and setup. That picture is a good visual. Which cooler did you use out of curiosity?

On my mini I used a Taurus trans cooler for the junk yard. It's about 6x8" mounted low and in front of the a/c condenser. Works really well.

@doug720
Really like that placement and setup. That picture is a good visual. Which cooler did you use out of curiosity?

I bought the cooler at Earl's Supply in Lawndale CA. I recall the cooler was around $40, and another $125+/- for the lines and fittings. But that was quite awhile back...years!

I mount trans and PS coolers like this, PS on the right. AN fittings

13119062_1168384259859130_5645929452387779148_n.jpg

The cooler I have sitting in the garage have no threads or fittings, just push over hoses w/ clamps. I think I'll invest in one where I can run proper threaded AN fittings. I like the idea of secure proper hoses after redoing my trans cooler with proper fittings. Do it right or do it again.

I haven't mounted yet, but at some point was planning on adding a small, finned one like this: LINK

sum-331000_xl.jpg

I used this same style, double pass Cooler. I mounted it below the ac condenser belowthe grill and behind the lower sheetmetal. I’ll try and snag a picture tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom