Builds The "Wife made me buy a FJ40" to shut me up build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So like the title says, my wife made me buy a 1973 FJ40 to shut me up about having to sell my last one. A few years ago I had a nice 1969 that I did a LM7 swap on (Build thread here if anyone is interested). Life happened and I had to choose which of my two project cars to keep so I sold the FJ40, I regretted it immediately.

Fast forward a few years later and a move to San Diego and here we are. I'm not thrilled with myself as I rushed through my inspection and missed some rust in the floor by the gas tank. I think eventually this will get treated to some bodywork and paint, it's a 10 footer for now.

Immediate goals are:
Power steering
Disc brakes

Long Term goals
Engine /trans swap
EFI

IMG_20180928_184353478.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome back to the addiction....

beauty! love 40's with a good lift and bigger tires i reckon it gives them a great presence. what motor are you thinking of swapping in? any chance i can convince you to go diesel?;):)

I'm definitely open to ideas at this point. My buddy was trying to talk me into a OM617 for awhile. I've already done a LS swap so I'd like to go another route this time. For now it really needs to have the sloppy steering addressed

beauty! love 40's with a good lift and bigger tires i reckon it gives them a great presence. what motor are you thinking of swapping in? any chance i can convince you to go diesel?;):)

Got the 40 out of the garage today and took it for a spin after having somenissues getting it to start. Motor cranks over fine but acts like there's no fuel. I pulled the stock air cleaner off and pushed the plunger down by hand and it fired up.

Drove fine, but has some issues I need to check out.

Oil leak from the back of the motor. Guessing it's the cam plug as it drips rather than being slung by the flywheel like rear main seal leaks tend to do.

Lots of hokey wiring around the starter saw a few wires just twisted together. Thanks PO.

Clutch shudders taking off from a stop. Guessing it's the old three finger type or maybe it's getting soaked in oil from that leak. Will pull the inspection cover and see.

I'm trying to get a shop built so it will be slow going until that is done.

I was just in Ontario/Rancho this week. I should have looked at your location before heading to AZ... next time.

I just moved about 2 weeks ago to San Diego. I need to update my info here. But yeah, if you're ever in the area let me know. I go to Havasu periodically to see family, but that's about the only place I go in AZ for now

I will ask, but ,do not expect, a fair response. Can you do a stock restoration for the integrity of the legend ?

Looks like you have a 74 model made in 73. The tail lights, roll bar and emblem on the apron are all for a 74 model. Original engine will have the oil filter on the passenger side in front of the distributor. Guessing the VIN plaque on the A pillar will show a 9/73-12/73 build date. That has the last year of the F engine and only F engine with the new improved oiling system. Been told by a Land Cruiser expert this is has the best torque for off road.

Looks like you have a 74 model made in 73. The tail lights, roll bar and emblem on the apron are all for a 74 model. Original engine will have the oil filter on the passenger side in front of the distributor. Guessing the VIN plaque on the A pillar will show a 9/73-12/73 build date. That has the last year of the F engine and only F engine with the new improved oiling system. Been told by a Land Cruiser expert this is has the best torque for off road.

Hey thanks for this info, I think you are right. It is titled as a 74 but here's a pic of the VIN plate which was on drivers side A pillar.

IMG_20181019_211833966.jpg

Had the expert driven a 40 with a SBC, LS(x), Cummins etc?

My first cruiser was a 69 that had a 283sbc with a SM420. I converted to a LM7 out of a Tahoe. But I've never driven a diesel cruiser. Maybe driving one will change my mind. Aren't the F engine hard to find parts for?

Where in SD? Wifey and I are in Kensington—- not many MUD folks in this area. Mine is a pretty stock 69’. I like your rig and am subscribed to your project. Later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom