Constant squeak coming from rear end of 06 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, I too have a squeak. Same conditions.....behind me somewhere while going over bumps.

Turns out that the rear vent window lost one of it's mounting stud nuts. How did I find this? whenever I closed a door w. all windows up, the air pressure forced that window out to relieve pressure which I observed by accident. The vibration induced in/out motion due to driving caused the squeak to occur.

Just a thinking outside the box....

I got the rear window rattle, some squeak under the rear aND a clunk from the rugh rear quaternary panel. my 100 has more noises than my 50 year old fj45....

So I chased a squeak for almost a year before my mechanic friend and I spent a few hours at his shop troubleshooting.

We eliminated the swat bars, shocks and shock bushings, the control arm bushings, the spare tire, a few others. Final tracked it down to the parking brake. One of the shoes was loose and rattling. It was loose because the bellcrank is rusted in place in a goofy position and leaving the shoe unsprung. Waiting on parts to rebuild the parking brake bellcrank assembly and also at that time rebuild the parking brake assembly.

So I chased a squeak for almost a year before my mechanic friend and I spent a few hours at his shop troubleshooting.

We eliminated the swat bars, shocks and shock bushings, the control arm bushings, the spare tire, a few others. Final tracked it down to the parking brake. One of the shoes was loose and rattling. It was loose because the bellcrank is rusted in place in a goofy position and leaving the shoe unsprung. Waiting on parts to rebuild the parking brake bellcrank assembly and also at that time rebuild the parking brake assembly.

I have a squeek in the rear on my 92.
It goes away in the rain.

I suspect the factory wheel carrier hanging off the tailgate.
Any other ideas.

Guys, OP mentioned it's an AHC vehicle so it's unlikely a shock top nut. Exhaust and cat shields can develop an annoying squeak, I'd look there. And your Land Cruiser guy's recommendation to change out your AHC shock actuators that aren't leaking isn't necessary, other parts of the AHC system wear out, but not so much the shock actuators.

@PADDO let's just say I didn't bump this two-year-old thread while quoting you for nothing.

My 2001 LX470 has 171k miles and I have a minor but loud outside "squeak" whenever I'm at low speed and the rear axle hits a bump in the road. Never at higher speeds, just when I'm going over little potholes under 20 MPH. The noise is absolutely coming from the outside because it's much louder with the windows down. It is also definitely coming from the rear, whenever the axle hops over something. No suspension problems that I can attest to.

I followed your AHC fluid swap procedure last month and it worked like a charm. I've only had this vehicle 2 months / 2k miles and the squeak was present before the fluid swap. I'm going through the motions of making this 17-year-old beast a longer-term family hauler.

What is different about the AHC suspension that the shock top nut is not as likely? I have the 2001 LX FSM but I don't have a Land Cruiser to compare with. Sorry to put you on the spot, but I'd like your help since so far I've been happy to keep my AHC. It's a pretty nice ride.

Reference threads:

Under carriage 'squeak/rattle'

Constant squeak coming from rear end of 06 LC

Squeaky rear

Rear right Squeak

Squeaky suspension

It's not the AHC, I have had this same dang 'chirp' going over speed bumps with and not without ACH, most bushings replaced. Thanks for bumping the thread, looks like E-Brake components.

That annoying bump squeak. With AHC I've noticed that it typically is only noticeable when in "sport" mode. I also noticed in one rig, where I'd replaced both rear coil springs with new OEM and added 20mm space, squeak was no longer present.

That annoying bump squeak. With AHC I've noticed that it typically is only noticeable when in "sport" mode. I also noticed in one rig, where I'd replaced both rear coil springs with new OEM and added 20mm space, squeak was no longer present.

My chirp happens regardless of the AHC setting. It's such a minor thing but it drives me crazy.

@Pyrenees - did you crack the code? I have the identical issue, its driving me crazy and seriously messing with my street cred...right rear, slow rolling speed bumps especially activate the sound. replaced all shocks/bushings, no change in chirp.

somebody made a comment somewhere to partially engage the e-brake, drive over a speed bump. If you DONT hear a squeak, then its the ebrake.

I've actually heard the same noise happen very randomly when I've engaged/disengaged the ebrake sitting in the parking lot but I didn't put it all together until you all mentioned that. My ebrake desperately needs to be adjusted anyhow, because it only works if I crank the handle all the way up. I'll try hitting my usual speed bumps with the ebrake slightly engaged and see if it happens then.

So my truck is in the shop. There was a small misshap with the lift and they are replacing the rear control arms. The old bushings were toast, I'm betting my squeek is gone when I get it back. I'll report.

Holy Jesus, it IS the e-brake! Tried pulling it up when I hit the usual spots in the road that create the squeak, and voila, NO SQUEAK. Since my e-brake is practically nonfunctional unless you yank it the whole way up, I wonder if I adjust it to within spec if the squeak will also go away.

Thats good news - my brief driveway tinkering last night suggested the same. @Pyrenees can you update on how you go about adjusting to spec and/or other ebrake improvements that kill the squeak, this is uncharted waters for me. I'll do the same if I beat you to it. Somebody also mentioned replacing the springs (part of ebrake assembly at the wheel hubs) did the trick.

Tried this myself today and it cured my squeek I think. Now what?:D what do I replace?

*hopefull

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom