operation100series: Reviving a rough 100 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So after owning this truck for a little over a year, I’ve decided it’s time for a build thread. First off, a little backstory:

I was in southern Alabama for work summer of 2017. I went by and saw my grandparents while I was in the area and they wanted to show me a Land Cruiser around the corner that they were interested in buying. No biggie, we went to check it out and it was one of the roughest looking hundos I had ever seen. A broken tail light, missing trim pieces, dents in body panels, paint that doesn’t belong on the vehicle, and that was just the outside. Inside was the same story but worse. The steering wheel and shifter were peeling, the driver’s seat was torn all to pieces. The passengers seat and the rear seats appeared to have never been cleaned, and we weren’t even able to open the doors to actually get inside. Regardless, the truck had the rear locker. I told them for the right price, it might be reasonable if they really wanted it, and they ended up buying it. To make a super long story short, the greatest grandparents ended up surprise gifting me a 1999 Land Cruiser and I plan to detail its journey back to greatness. This all started with getting it back to Tennessee. Trailering was the winning decision due to the extremely rough shape an questionable maintenance records.

2Xco0Kj.jpg

After getting the truck back to Tennessee, there were two glaringly obvious things that needed to be taken care of: the first being a timing belt change and the second being a new set of tires. I happened to luck out because one of the local Toyota dealers was running a maintenance special for timing belt/water pump at $850 and Discount Tire was price matching 4WheelParts ridiculous price on BFG AT KO2s, so both of those items got knocked out relatively quickly. You can see one of the missing trim pieces in the picture below.

IDTfliz.jpg

After this, work slowed down significantly as my wife and I were moving into a new house and I didn’t have a lot of time to work on it. I did manage to fix all 5 water leaks:

Third brake light
Rear passenger window
Sunroof drain x2
Windshield

It finally began smelling better on the inside which inspired me to find the missing trim piece and also remove the running boards.

BHMs7RI.jpg

You’ll also notice in the picture above that I added the bug deflector. After driving at night, I’m not convinced it reflects anything, but I have always liked the look of them. I also managed to remove the mud flaps and pop out one dent manually.

Last edited:
Next agenda item was taking care of the terrible interior. I’ve spent so much money in cleaning products on this truck, but I found a combination that I’m super happy with and they do a good job of keeping it clean. While I was cleaning, I removed the door panels and painted the speaker grills and replace door lock actuator motors.

1brjnfR.jpg

5Bn1zH4.jpg

F73jONr.jpg

The backseat leather isn’t in too bad of shape. It could use a re-dye but it seems to be soft and without tears. The next picture shows the sad state of the driver’s seat. You can also see where I tore the leather off of the shifter and chose not to replace it yet, and did the same on the steering wheel but replaced it with a stitch-on cover for the time being. The floor mats were pressure washed before the picture below. No clue what all they contained, but I had to clean the entire driveway after cleaning them on the driveway.

eyUMW3r.jpg

It was still summer, so I managed to get the kayak cradles up top and take a few boating trips.

wc2fi8o.jpg

Next was the maiden voyage off road. I chose the TN Dirt Devil as a test area for its proximity to home (since I was driving a vehicle that I had never taken off road before). Of course, the Land Cruiser excelled and made it through the day without issue. This meant that a trip to Windrock could begin being planned.

auMndbZ.jpg

Windrock happened and it was a blast. Trail 22 had gotten a little more advanced than I remember it being. I was leading a group of guys from work (all of them had never been there before, most had never been off-road), so it was slow going but we managed to make it through the trail with very little carnage. I got one picture of my truck and one picture of a friends LX, and that’s about all for the trip.

yT1XfHF.jpg

YlhFfWX.jpg

run an ozone generator inside for 15 min and that will knock out any smells you have. An OG runs like $50 on Amazon. I used one in the 4runner I just got that smelled like an old shoe, and for my daughter's 1976 ford supercab which smelled like a horse inside. They work great.

Looking fwd to updates on progress.

run an ozone generator inside for 15 min and that will knock out any smells you have. An OG runs like $50 on Amazon. I used one in the 4runner I just got that smelled like an old shoe, and for my daughter's 1976 ford supercab which smelled like a horse inside. They work great.

Looking fwd to updates on progress.

I actually did this oddly enough! Our neighbors had one and it worked really well, until I found the 4 other leaks. Once I got all of the leaks taken care of though, cleaning the truck was enough to get it smelling fresh in there again, so I think the ozone generator did a lot when I was able to use it.

Last update for the night! So current status is I am looking to get into suspension work by the end of the year. I had an amazing lift kit on previous Xterras and our other vehicle is an LR3. The Land Cruiser rides decent, but after 246k, it could use some help, especially compared to the other vehicles with have/have had. Pics of the Xterras and LR3.

a19WLiw.jpg

k2lWlI0.png

Not sure which kit I want to go with yet. I had OME on the Xterra at first and wasn’t a huge fan. I’ve heard great things about the ToughDog on the LC so I’m thinking that may be the way to go.

That’s all for tonight, but for more pictures and for quicker updates, you may choose to follow me on the IG @operation100series

Great Story. Glad its working out for you.
that LR3 looks good!

Great Story. Glad its working out for you.
that LR3 looks good!
Thanks! It’s my wife’s daily driver and currently has just over 176k on it. We have the air bags cranked up to 1.5” of lift to fit the 285/65R18 General Grabber AT2s. It’s actually been extremely reliable with only some minor maintenance that we knew was going to hit us at some point.

Xterra looks great. I loved my ‘02 and still miss it. Sold it for the cruiser.

It’s a perfect size vehicle for Florida trails.

Nice job on the LC! I have the exact same one Color and model owned since 2003...My seats started looking ratty also even though I took really good care of them..I finally bit the bullet and had a local guy replace drivers and passenger bottoms with new leather. A little pricey but they turned out great..

Looking forward to seing this build. What was the price you paid for the KO2?

Discount tire direct on ebay is having a special where you get $100 off if you spend $400. I just got 4 285's for $600 before the BFG $70 rebate when you buy 4 tires.

Ordering now. thank you

Xterra looks great. I loved my ‘02 and still miss it. Sold it for the cruiser.

It’s a perfect size vehicle for Florida trails.
Thanks! I really enjoyed it. We sold it when we decided to hop on the Dave Ramsey plan and clear up our debt. It was kind of an extra vehicle so it was the first to go.

Nice job on the LC! I have the exact same one Color and model owned since 2003...My seats started looking ratty also even though I took really good care of them..I finally bit the bullet and had a local guy replace drivers and passenger bottoms with new leather. A little pricey but they turned out great..
I’ve got some interesting plans for
This one that I should be able to provide an update on this week. Stay tuned.

Discount tire direct on ebay is having a special where you get $100 off if you spend $400. I just got 4 285's for $600 before the BFG $70 rebate when you buy 4 tires.
This is a better deal than I got. I think I paid like $780 out the door for 4 so it was a good deal at the time.

This is an awesome thread. I love seeing any 100 series build thread but there is something great about seeing one restored from being trashed and not taken care of to making it look very nice and restored. I see you are in Nashville. I lived in Hendersonville at one time. I have subscribed and can't wait to see more updates on this rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom