1987 lj70 2.4lt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an ‘87 lj70 in Italy and would like to ensure everything I read in these forums about removing the ACSD also pertain to the Lj70. This is a recently acquire vehicle and is starting to give some hickups such as the ACSD leaking and missing if the turbo Vacuum Warning switch assembly and bad routing of some vacuum lines. Despite these, the vehicle runs fine and is wonderful. Some more power is warranted, but that will have to wait for a future 3.0 implant.

Terry, Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the Forum!

I can't comment on the ACSD. Most 2LT/2LTII/2LTE engine variants owners here do some tweaking on Boost.
Your engine variant doesn't have any smog stuff to remove, but you may want to check the condition of
your glow plugs if you are having trouble starting. Mine were in really bad shape when I purchased mine.

Just so you know, the 3L and the 5L versions aren't an indication of displacement, just nomenclature. (they have somewhat larger displacement, but are not 3 & 5 liters of displacement respectively as it may first appear with that "L" after the number).
Also, the 3L and the 5L don't come with stock turbos like the 2LT variants. So I wouldn't expect too much of a power gain by swapping in another L Engine variant (probably not worth the trouble or cost with this family of engine). A lot of members are happy with installing an Intercooler. Plenty of threads here on that topic. But do your own research.

Again, Welcome to the Forum.
Plenty of smart people here to help you sort things out.
Don

Last edited:
I have an ‘87 lj70 in Italy and would like to ensure everything I read in these forums about removing the ACSD also pertain to the Lj70. This is a recently acquire vehicle and is starting to give some hickups such as the ACSD leaking and missing if the turbo Vacuum Warning switch assembly and bad routing of some vacuum lines. Despite these, the vehicle runs fine and is wonderful. Some more power is warranted, but that will have to wait for a future 3.0 implant.

Is the ACSD leaking diesel or coolant? If it's leaking diesel, it's likely that it's time to re-seal your injection pump. I just resealed a 2LT-II injection pump as a favor for a friend. When I removed the ACSD I did no see any strange wear etc. as has been reported with the 1HDT. So I just put a now o-ring on and re-installed it. I have not heard any reports of it causing problems to the 2LT or 2LT-II motors.

You can go to Megazip and look up your vehicle to find drawings of all the vacuum lines etc. which might help you. There is also a .pdf repair manual floating around for the 2LT motor variation. Let me know if you can't find it and I'll take a look.

When you said you are thinking of upgrading to the 3.0, do you mean the 1KZTE?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom