Adhesive for bottom of door glass? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The passenger's side second row door window glass keeps getting pulled out of the channel when the window rolls down. I have fixed it two or three times by using the force of the window motor to seat the u-shaped channel and rubber gasket to the base of the glass, but due to the lack of space I haven't been able to get any more force on it than that. Should I use weatherstrip adhesive or something like it to adhere the rubber to the glass? Fixing it every couple weeks is getting old.

Thanks.

You're not getting it seated well enough.
It takes a lot of force to get the glass to seat properly in that rubber gasket thingy.
When I replaced the window lift channel on my Land Rover driver door I lubed the rubber with motor oil, then I pushed like hell down on the glass starting at one end and forced it all the way down.
It took a long time to do, tons of work and I was afraid I was going to break the glass and sever my fingers.
But I didn't. It all worked out and worked well for many years.

But if I had it all to do over again...I'd let a glass shop do it

Thanks- useful info. I thought about pushing down rather than up, but I didn't want to put that much force on the scissor mechanism that raises the glass. I'm quickly getting to the point that a glass shop is the right call.

I just did this on my 62. I had soaked the rubber for a few weeks in 303 and took the glass out of the door. I don't know how it is on a 100, but there is just three screws that hold the division bar in place. Once that was out, and the door panel was off, of course, the glass came right out. I cleaned it and got the rubber started at the rear of the channel. I slid the first few inches onto the rear of the glass, and proceeded to feed the rubber into the channel. There was a point where there was too much friction with the glass, so I pulled the channel forward and the rubber followed onto the glass. Then I was able to use a rag to slide the channel to the rear, while holding the rubber in place. I had to do that a few times, back and forth to get the channel in the exact position. Funny, I had a rubber mallet out, thinking I would have to go that route. Never picked it up. Also, I took the opposite door panel off and lowered the window, so I could see and measure exactly where the channel was supposed to be. I felt like the root of my issue was that the channel was not in the right spot so the lift mechanism was putting it in a bind, and it slowly pulled the channel off the glass.

I took the opposite door panel off and lowered the window, so I could see and measure exactly where the channel was supposed to be. I felt like the root of my issue was that the channel was not in the right spot so the lift mechanism was putting it in a bind, and it slowly pulled the channel off the glass.
That is a great suggestion. I'll take a look.

I used a block of wood to keep the window lift mechanism from being pushed down.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I used a block of wood, and the window is definitely seated in the metal channel with the rubber gasket intact. One last request for thoughts/suggestions on adhesive. For now I have the switch disconnected, but I'd really like to have a functional window.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom