Name that tune (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New sound for a new week. Not sure how to describe other then the most annoying sound Lloyd Christmas makes in dumb and dumber. It’s location is up front of the engine. It idles smooth until I push the gas. The groan grows louder as the rpm’s go up.

I’m starting to think it’s the fan clutch going bad. Cold engine and not running the fan is hard to spin with my hand. Turn the engine on and it’s spinning. My understanding it doesn’t spin until the engine reaches a certain temp and begins to spin, correct? Run the engine for a bit to get it warm. I’ll turn it off the fan clutch is still hard to spin.

Any ideas? Am I way off? Hopefully these videos will show up.
A7485CBA-D526-4EBB-A5B9-54B128901E35 by B D, on Flickr

0AF60080-506A-4ABC-9E95-33428AA97EE7 by B D, on Flickr

Good Fan clutch; should have resistance when spun by hand.

Bad fan clutch; Typically we see them spin after shutdown excessively (free wheeling). They have little to no resistance when spun by hand.

That said I've just come across a 2001 w/250 miles were fan bracket was shot (wobbling), Idler bearing & tensioner bearing on the way out (chirping). Serpentine belt right at last mark on tensioner and squealing (shot). When inspecting the fan clutch. it was unusually tight. Normally I liked to see tight fan clutch, but this one is to hard to spin, harder than a new OEM Aisin to spin (about like yours). So for now it's just on watch list, will see how it does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom