3FE Electrical Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there fellow 'mudders,

I decided I was going to drive my '92 80 today because it has been about a month and I wanted to exercise her a little bit. Opened the door and saw there was no power. No door light, no power to the locks, nothing. I had the intermittent start issue, turn key, long delay then would start. It always started with a jump though.

I jump started it thinking the battery must have drained. It took a little bit to get enough juice, but she turned over and fired up like she always did. I disconnected the jump cables, moved the other car and let the 'cruiser run for a bit. The dash was showing it was charging the battery and everything seemed normal. I walked inside, used the bathroom, grabbed some coffee then headed back outside. Initially I panicked because I couldn't hear the 'cruiser and thought some tweaker drove off in it while I was inside. But I turned the corner out of my garage and she was right where I left her. Sitting in silence. I opened the door and there was no power to anything.

After a lot of searching on here, it seems like it could be my fusible link. I'm confident mechanically, but electrical stuff is a huge weakness. I removed the fusible link and I'm trying to check for resistance. My multimeter is on ohms and it looks like the green wire (the one that connects with a 12mm) is showing OL intermittently depending on where the probes are placed. The other two wires seem to test appropriately. What kind of numbers should I be seeing? Any help is appreciated, I have searched and searched, but not having much luck... maybe I should look up on how to use a multimeter...

-crashing

The 3 fusible links are simply wire inside a silicone sleeve. They should read 0 ohms end to end. Your issue definitely sounds like a bad fusible link(s) to me, and the OEM set of 3 will set you back a whole $15. I would just replace them.
Fusible Link for 80 Series Land Cruiser

The 3 fusible links are simply wire inside a silicone sleeve. They should read 0 ohms end to end. Your issue definitely sounds like a bad fusible link(s) to me, and the OEM set of 3 will set you back a whole $15. I would just replace them.
Fusible Link for 80 Series Land Cruiser

Jon, could it be the starter contacts sticking and draining the battery on the 3FE? Worth checking?

Thanks @jonheld, that’s what I figured but didn’t know if I was missing something. Just ordered the part from Wits End!

@BILT4ME I’ll take a look at starter contacts for giggles, got any good threads to look into?

Are the contacts rough on the link connectors?

I would worry you alternator output is off, When running again, check the output.
If it is over 14.5 volts, you have a problem. If it is high, try undoing the bolts holding the coil down, and clean out holes. IF that helps, make a new ground wire from the ignitor case to the body. That should help.

That has a fuseblock in the engine compartment? Check the wire going into the bottom, make sure it is not metal fatigued, is a weak point on the 4Runners.

Thanks @jonheld, that’s what I figured but didn’t know if I was missing something. Just ordered the part from Wits End!

@BILT4ME I’ll take a look at starter contacts for giggles, got any good threads to look into?

The only starter info I would find is for the 1FZ-FE engine and does not necessarily apply directly here. Basically, the starter solenoid is on the starter and the internal contacts get burned and tend to "weld" themselves together and drain the battery.

Do what Jon says. He's the guru on these. That's why I asked the question of him, rather than make a statement. If he says no, then don;t worry about it. If he says maybe, then do what he says.

The starter contacts and plunger are different part numbers from the 3FE to the 1FZ, and the starter is physically on the opposite side, but the concept and procedure to replace the contacts and plunger is identical.
That said, I doubt the the starter is sticking. That's something that would be noticed pretty quickly.

@morganism loves to make sure everyone's igniter is grounded. YES, it is a possibility, but a very very unlikely one. To say it is a common problem is simply untrue. And given the symptoms from the OP, certainly not the issue.

Sometimes when my tires get low and I'm feeling sad and lonely, I add a ground wire to my igniter.

Got distracted for a minute, but got the fusible link in and Ronda runs like a champ now! Thanks for the help everyone. I’ll be off to dirt roads next Friday to see if I can find something new to work on! :steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom