Slips out of gear after shop installed new clutch kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just had the clutch in my 1970 FJ40 (three speed column shifter) replaced by a local shop that supposedly knew their way around the FJ40. I now have two issues that were not present before the repair, and the shop owner is implying that he is not at fault (it's still not resolved). My mechanical skills could be best described as shade-tree, so I thought I should ask for some input before I speak with him again. Here are the issues:

1. It now slips out of third gear when coasting or winding down (something it's NEVER done in the three years I've owned it). I'm assuming the shifter simply needs adjusting, but the shop owner disagrees, because he says they did nothing that would have changed the shifting pattern from before the clutch job. I'm not trying to assign blame, but it seems common sense that if it went to the shop shifting fine and came out slipping out of gear, something they did is causing the issue. Any ideas what it could be?

2. It now has an annoying squeal when pressing on the clutch pedal. He removed the cover to check the TO bearing, and determined that it is fine. Any idea what else could be causing it?

To be clear, these issues did not develop over time. I noticed both on the drive home and it went back to the shop the following week. The shop owner checked it out and did some adjusting, but even though neither issue is resolved, he says it's ready for me to come and pick it up. I'm not eager to go to war over this, so if it's an easy fix I'll save the headache, do it myself, and simply cross another shop off my list. Unfortunately, the check has already cleared, or I'd be putting a stop on those funds.

Another shop not willing to make it right. As a shop owner, I would never let that out the door if it wasn’t right. It should not do what you describe. Not sure where you are from, but here in california we have the Bureau of automotive repair. You mention that to the shop owner, and they will make it right real quick! Or just take them to small claims court. You paid to have a repair done correctly and professionally. Don’t give in, too many people do and the shop continues to do shady work. The shift linkage is probably not right, and the throw out bearing or pilot bearing is bad? Did they surface the flywheel, new rear main seal, pilot bearing etc? Do they have rookie techs? They could have damaged the input shaft when installing or removing? Ask who did the work and if they are certified? Don’t give up, they will make it right with enough threat!

it could be the shifter linkage, but there was(is) really no reason for the shop to have messed with any of the adjustments when pulling the trans, they just needed to unbolt the linkage ends at the trany, the rest should all stay put.

my 3 speed sometimes slips out of 2nd under they same conditions you mention, everytime it has, I needed to add some gear oil to the trans(yes it leaks a bit, but not much) and it then stays in gear. I know my 2nd gear synchro is bad-ish, I have a rebuilt trans to replace it...just haven't.

so maybe check the fluid level in the trans, they may not have filled it all the way.

Newer Throw Out bearings are made to run full time rotation, older ones designed to stop on release.
"After Aug 85 or so, the slave design changed to an internal spring that pushes the bearing against the pressure plate versus the pre 85 that pulled the bearing away from the plate."

If slipping out of gear, i would think the clutch plate was installed reversed?

There is a pic of a reversed plate in the 60s fourum somewhere...

Questions about Clutch

On an fj40 the throwout bearing should NOT be touching the pressure plate unless the pedal is depressed. The return spring should pull the bearing away from the pp. The new bearing shouldn't squeal when depressed. It may go away but I doubt it. If it continues, he should have to replace it. Idk about falling out of gear on a lc 3 speed. On gm 4 speed truck trannys, that's usually a problem with the tranny. I guess it could be a issue with the 3 on the tree linkage.

It is a simple matter to disconnect the linkage at the trans to see if the detent in 3rd gear falls ‘naturally ‘ where the linkage meets the arm. If it doesn’t, hopefully your linkage is still capable of being adjusted. But that wouldn’t explain why the problem only surfaced now...unless maybe the linkage got bent in the process.

Like the infamous Orion transfer case, you have to also consider that the input shaft, which holds third gear, could be PUSHING on the shift collar. Why? Worn bearings in the transmission that are not holding the input and output shafts concentric.

And a worn transmission bearing especially the input, can growl a lot like a throwout bearing. I should know: I have one.

I’m not defending the shop. I’m just not a rush-to-judgement kind of guy.

Re: throw out bearing squeal. There is a void in the throw out bearing hub that should be filled with grease, but this helps more with sliding on the trans nose cone cover. It might just be a new bearing needs to wear in? There was a guy recently on this board that had a similar issue with a new throw out bearing. I think he mentioned it went away after a couple hundred miles.

Thanks for the replies. I spoke with the owner, and he agreed to put it back on the rack and take another look. He tried to explain that the old clutch may have been masking the problem by keeping it from slipping out of gear, but even I'm not dumb enough to fall for that...unless there's a shred of truth there? I really wish I knew enough to call BS without having to worry that I'm mistaken.

My 77 has an audible chip/humming sound right as the clutch is engaging. I did my clutch job myself and others with 40's that I've had listen to the sound say its the new pressure plate and refinished flywheel getting used to each other. All I'm saying is the sound may be nothing to worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom