LX570 08-11 vs. 13+ for modding (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I'm aware of the main differences in these 2 ranges of LX, but I'm curious if there is any difference for aftermarket support. I know it's very limited compared to an LC, but it seems the mods I've seen (sliders, bumpers) have been on 08-11 LX's. At this point is there a difference in what is available? Also thinking that the older ones may have more of a market soon since their prices are now at a point where ppl are buying them used for at or less than LC's, which would make more sense financially for ppl to build offroad/overland LX's.

Was looking at strictly LC's but the wife wants an LX and at these prices vs. LC's it's hard to tell her no.....Any info greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Yeah The LX suspension is way superior, the LX is way more bang for the buck you’d be crazy to buy a Land Cruiser unless you’re going to go modify it for rock crawling if you’re going to do that you’re better off getting some hiking boots ;)

Ya the price difference is hard to pass up. Going to pick up an 11 LX tomorrow with 78k miles for 32k. Clean carfax, regular oil changes, etc. Lux package, adaptive cruise, Levinson upgrade, etc. An LC I believe would have to be 2013 to match the upgrades on this 11 LX and would cost around 40k for this mileage. AHC is fine for us. Will be posting pics soon. Plan on doing wheels and tires immediately, then rack, sliders and hopefully bumpers before end of year.

Hey all, I'm aware of the main differences in these 2 ranges of LX, but I'm curious if there is any difference for aftermarket support. I know it's very limited compared to an LC, but it seems the mods I've seen (sliders, bumpers) have been on 08-11 LX's. At this point is there a difference in what is available? Also thinking that the older ones may have more of a market soon since their prices are now at a point where ppl are buying them used for at or less than LC's, which would make more sense financially for ppl to build offroad/overland LX's.

Was looking at strictly LC's but the wife wants an LX and at these prices vs. LC's it's hard to tell her no.....Any info greatly appreciated.

Mainly depends on your likelihood of modding the suspension. It is just a matter of time until things like bumpers and sliders are widely available for all years of LX, since they are ending up in so many garages of people that want to do this type of offroading. The armor doesn't cost any more to develop for these than any other chassis.

But.. while AVSS/AHC is quite good, until someone invests a ton of money to develop aftermarket solutions for it, the most you can do to that suspension is a sensor lift. And don't get me wrong.. it'd be very capable.

I thought I might eventually do a long-arm tundra setup in the front.. The mere possibility of that was enough to push me toward the LC. I then chose 2013 for the vented seats, xenon headlamps, and vastly updated gauge cluster. Now that I have it I appreciate the more utilitarian design over an LX.. though that may be me justifying the extra cost.

If you think you’ll want to select your own suspension at any point in the future...get a Cruiser.

If you don’t think you’ll ever want to do that?
LX or LC.

I personally modded an LC and spent the money on it after driving 9-10 LX570s.
The LX is for the chicks and LC is for the men. The LX screams soccer mom and the LC feels like a rig. I find it amazing how the 2 same vehicles can be marketted completely different with slightly different cosmetics.

The LX is superior in creature comforts but the AHC suspension is very disconnected from the road, almost too much imo. If you try to do sliders, AT tires, bumpers it looks ridiculous on the LX. In my book the LX needs to be left stock other than AT tires (better ride comfort). All my neighbors have LX's and as I drive by every morning I ask myself would I have been happier in the LX. It's a tough call. The LC even with racing coilovers is bumpier which I don't like. But I get awesome steering feedback. I think the LX ruins the driving experience by making it too flat and dry. In takes the fun out of cruising.

The LX is for the chicks and LC is for the men. The LX screams soccer mom and the LC feels like a rig. I find it amazing how the 2 same vehicles can be marketted completely different with slightly different cosmetics.

The LX is superior in creature comforts but the AHC suspension is very disconnected from the road, almost too much imo. If you try to do sliders, AT tires, bumpers it looks ridiculous on the LX. In my book the LX needs to be left stock other than AT tires (better ride comfort). All my neighbors have LX's and as I drive by every morning I ask myself would I have been happier in the LX. It's a tough call. The LC even with racing coilovers is bumpier which I don't like. But I get awesome steering feedback. I think the LX ruins the driving experience by making it too flat and dry. In takes the fun out of cruising.

Fair assessment. Different strokes for different folks.

I'm not a soccer mom and I like like my sports cars manual and raw. Yet, I consider myself very discerning and like the finer things in life. So I don't quite fit into either mold your describing.

Personally AHC is by far the best part of the 200-series, and 100-series for that matter. It for me, makes the driving experience because the car can be an articulating, high ground clearance beast off-road. Yet, on-road, it has way more body control than any 6000+ beast has any right too. I can push her on 2-lane mountain backroads and the traction and speed is satisfying enough to have fun, yet in absolute comfort. True, there's not much feedback on account of it being a heavy large beast. She corners and brakes absolutely flat, with good power. With AHC giving just the right touch to suspension damping always, independent of load or conditions, with an additional manual tailoring for comfort/normal/sport.

Just think though if you got the LX maybe you could set the cruise at 150mph instead your 130mph or whatever when you were napping in the back :rofl:

Threads like this is why I struggle to make up my mind, 100, GX460, or 200.

If you’re really going to build for anything but slow speed hard trails either is fine. I bought an 2009!high mile LX as it was lots cheaper. PM was going to replace a lot of stuff anyhow, and I can worry less about minor cosmetic damage. Also, more money to put into the mods I want. If there’s a big ticket item because of age wear or tear I get that part new instead of used.

Before anyone gets offended I understand why men buy LX570 and I personally might eventually. So this isn't an insult to men who have bought one. It is more of a perspective but there are definetly guys who hardcore bash their LX570 rock climbing with no conscience. The only thing I am pointing out is that somehow scratching an LX isn't the same as scratching an LC even though they are the same vehicle. AHC is really nice option that I wish I had sometimes. Also, the stereo. But somehow the LX doesn't come off as a mean truck. Maybe too many layers of gloss which makes it shine really nice like a Cartier watch. I do find some of them pretty to look at and they catch my eyes on the road like an elusive pretty girl.

Threads like this is why I struggle to make up my mind, 100, GX460, or 200.

If you can afford it get the 200 not the rest. I have a 100 collecting dust. The GX is pretty but not as rock solid as a LC.

Just think though if you got the LX maybe you could set the cruise at 150mph instead your 130mph or whatever when you were napping in the back :rofl:

I would defintely be sound asleep and not feel a thing in an LX with AHC. Plus the sound dampening (much needed in the LC at very high speeds). Plus it would be nice to have the interior trunk latch so I wouldn't need someone to open the trunk.

LX mods just fine. Just glossier after.
:worms:

FABB3C45-B2BA-410D-8383-75B06F9F81B7.jpeg

3x the used supply = better prices in the secondary market

I bought my 28k mile, 3 year old, 1 owner certified LX for $56k, comparable LCs were closer to 58/59K, even though the LX was about 8,000 dollars more expensive when new. For me, a used LX is a better value, and for new the LC is the better value as you can see the difference in resale on Autotrader, in addition to the current LC being much better looking than the current LX.

The frame, body, roof, and doors are the same between for 2008 to 2015 LC and LXs.

2013lcside.jpg

2015-Lexus-LX-570-side-profile.jpg

Slee - Toyota 200 Series Land Cruiser Front Bumpers
Custom suspensions and proven ability to run 35s are exclusive to the LC.

There are examples of LXs front and rear with HD bumpers and sliders. 34s in use on several LXs on this forum.

Check out these modded LXs

@Ali FJ80
@Ohnoitsbreaux

If you want to make the ultimate offroading beast with 35s, you need a LC 200.
Buying new? The LC.

Remove all mudflaps and running boards immediately.

Last edited:
I recently bought a 2015 LX570. My wife apparently agrees with you because she said, "Why are you getting that one? The Land Cruiser looks like you are going to Africa and the Lexus looks like you are going to Pilates." But realistically, I'll do one trip out west every year or so. 99% of the time, the car will be driven up to Vermont to go skiing, or locally to go fishing, hunting, camping and mountain biking, and to the train station. So Rock Warriors and 33s are the only mods I have (and looking for LC roof rails). And for that usage, a 2015 LX570 was $7,000 - 10,000 cheaper than a 2015 LC with the same miles. Vanity probably would have gotten the better of me for $3,000.... but not more than that. And as it turns out, the AHC is really quite functional.

Last edited:
As many have said, this decision comes down to personal preference. The LX is hands down nicer on the interior (leather, speakers, wood, comfort, appearance). While some say its a mall cruising soccer mom car, so is your LC. The badging, while somewhat gaudy, evokes emotion in people bc they dont expect to see the LX offroad. Bashing the AHC is funny to me- if I wanted to be jarred everywhere, Id just get in my sports car and rip mtn highways and city roads. The LX is very comfortable offroad and cruises hwys like a dream. While AHC is adjustible, it still feels connected to the road to me. In terms of tire size etc, just do the AHC lift and put your 35s on there...anything larger than that, get something more adept for crawling. If you think the LX doesnt look good with aftermarket bumpers etc then great for you. I get enough unwanted attention in my LX as it is, so please stop modding them!

Lexual looks pretty good w her brethren LC Degen squad atop Imogene.

photos by @kreiten and his daughter not on the forum.

Imogene pass 1.jpg

Imogene Pass.jpg

Mag Spread.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom