Sold my 100, bought 200... now facing two severe issues? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HGB

Threads
Hello all.

I recently sold my 100 series to a fellow member. It was sorted out very well, serviced by the book and had no issues.

Fast forward a couple months later (took me a while to find the right LX as I was very specific) and I have purchased a 2013 LX570.

I paid a Toyota dealership for their flagship inspection. They reassured me this is what they use when certifying a vehicle. I reiterated they would be my eyes and ears on this purchase since the car was out of state and I did not plan to fly and drive it home.

They called me after the inspection to tell me the car was in PRISTINE condition and only was recommended a battery change due to the age of it, not the remaining voltage.

I am pleased to hear this and wire the money to the selling dealership (was being sold at a non-Toyota store).

The truck arrives in my state on Saturday morning. I was so excited, until I got in the car and quickly found NO sound was working. I drove to Lexus and found the mark Levinson amplifier had failed and needed to be replaced. $1600 parts and labor. Off to a bad start, but still manageable, right?

Over the next two days I drive the truck (albeit not much as I like to listen to music when driving) and notice something very strange.

Upon light acceleration and at about 20-40 MPH (it varies at times), the whole car quickly and violently shudders/shakes for a 3 second or so period. The LX trucks by nature shift so smoothly I can’t pinpoint if it’s happening during a gear change or not. It certainly feels transmission related. In my 30 minute drive yesterday it occurred maybe 3 Times.

Also, when on the highway and hitting a dip in the road, upon suspension rebound it seems the car gets a bit squirrelly for a few seconds.

The inspecting dealer mentioned no leaks, no suspension leaks or issues, etc. The AHC lifts and lowers as normal. My local Lexus dealer also did a “world class health report” when I brought it in on Saturday morning to check the sound system and they said it’s in great shape otherwise and could find no other issues outside of the amp. This was before I noticed the vibration/Shake however.

I searched pretty extensively and am having no real luck finding literature on what this may be?

Couple thoughts-

Possible torque converter unlocking / locking improperly?

ATF drain and fill or flush needed to fix this?

U Joint or axle issue?

Thanks for the help guys. I plan to head to a transmission shop or the dealer soon, but figured I’d see if anyone has any thoughts before writing an open check for diagnostic.

Otherwise, love the truck and I really hope I can get it sorted. I have been through too many cars in the past two years and just hope I can have this be my “forever” rig.

Sorry for your unfortunate first experience with your new vehicle! It deflated some of that new car excitement that you’d rather have.

I’m no mechanic, but I’d start with the most simple things first from the tire pressures, wheel balance and work my way in from there, checking tie-rod ends (possible alignment), and other related suspension bushings, etc.

I would also look for places the vehicle shipper may have decided to chain your vehicle down with. There are safe attachment points but possibly you encountered a less experienced truck driver who decided to hook onto something he shouldn’t have?

Since the transmission has such a good, reliable reputation, I don’t think I’d go there quite yet. Think simpler things and what could have happened between the out-of-state inspection and getting to you.

Hope that helps, and I hope the fix is simple for you.

Reactions: HGB
Just got word from Lexus after test driving it with a technician.

It needs a transmission replacement. I’m on the hook as the car has been out of warranty for some time. Pretty bad news. Waiting for cost. Not sure what I’ll do... trade it in and receive a deflated trade in value, or repair and sell... or repair? This coupled with a $1700 amp repair is just rubbing me the wrong way.

Very sorry to hear what a terrible situation after all you went through to solidify the rig was checked out thoroughly. Sounds like everyone's nightmare situation I hope it turns around for you.

How recently did you buy the vehicle? It sounds like that was certainly a known issue by the selling dealership (hopefully it was a dealership), so I would fight tooth and nail with them to replace the transmission or take the truck back. I would imagine on the amp you're on your own, but the transmission is a basic drivetrain function and obviously should not be DOA. Make sure when you communicate with them you do it logically, methodically and in writing. Be very firm but professional, especially at first, but you will need to fight this one pretty hard it sounds like.

Just got word from Lexus after test driving it with a technician.

It needs a transmission replacement. I’m on the hook as the car has been out of warranty for some time. Pretty bad news. Waiting for cost. Not sure what I’ll do... trade it in and receive a deflated trade in value, or repair and sell... or repair? This coupled with a $1700 amp repair is just rubbing me the wrong way.

Man, that is the worst news! I’m sorry. I know I couldn’t absorb that. I don’t know if anyone else will chime in but if it was me, not being able to afford a new trans, I’d look for another independent shop to confirm that diagnosis. Any reputable independent Toyota mechanics in your area? Not to be pessimistic, but if the Lexus’s dealership felt that you just spent $1400 for the radio fix, could they be greedy enough to think you’ll replace the trans without fully diagnosing it? And that isn’t a jab at you for fixing the radio at all. I know my wife wanted everything repaired on our used 200 when we got it.

Just my .02

I’m sorry to hear this happened to you. If this was a very recent purchase I’d go after the dealership you bought it from to pay for the fix or take it back. I’d also consider going after the dealership that inspected it to help defray the costs incurred from shipping and/or repairing it. I’d also seek a refund on their inspection...

Also I'm curious what part of the country the truck came from. Any time I hear about electronics failing I think of flood or water damage, and the transmission failing is a total anomaly. I can't recall ever hearing about one of these failing, so perhaps there was some flood damage at some point??

Is it ever acceptable to commit insurance fraud? If so, this might be the case for it.

Terribly sorry for your experience. I'm generally a fix it and sell it person. But in this case, I don't know if I want to feel like I could be selling a headache. If you can absorb the hit, maybe a trade-in is called for. Maybe a trade-in to a place like CarMax which isn't likely to do enough diligence to notice the issue.

Other thought is depending on mileage, can you still buy a Toyota/Lexus service plan? Buy it, get it processed, and then present issue to have fixed. I know a couple people who've had success doing this if they are buddies with the dealer, it's likely a YMMV since the dealer is aware of these issues.

Also curious to know how many miles are on the truck, and if the transmission has ever been flushed.

My '11 started a very alarming "shudder" on the road at about 40-45 mph (~115K miles). I was thinking the worse. Called the local dealer and they said that although Toyota officially says the WS fluid is now permanent and not meant to be changed, they had some Tundras come in with this type of shudder at 100-150K, and a full flush took care of it. So, I had them drop the pan, clean the magnets, new screen, then a complete flush of all the WS fluid. It was fine after that, never did it again, no matter how I tried. It wasn't cheap (~$500 I think including parts and the fluid), but it was worth it.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this. Super frustrating situation that I've been through, and both times after a dealer did a PPI. Are you close to any of the big Cruiser shops, like Slee, Cruiser Outfitters, Valley Hybrids, or ACC where some really knowledgeable and experienced people could look at your truck?

Go ahead and flush the tranny, if that doesn't fix it, then something else may be wrong with the tranny. Hook up Techstream and see if there is any codes show up.

Sorry to hear, the engines and 6 speed transmissions are extremely reliable and durable. First time I've heard of a new transmission needed on the 6 speed tranny. Coupled with amp needing replacement and poss AHC issues, I suspect flood damage.

Which dealership and what state was the dealership located in that sold you this truck?

Ohh that is rough. Are you 100% certain that the selling dealer is not liable for anything? How long ago did you buy it / what state are you in?

What does the service history of the VIN show on the Lexus website? Perhaps PO had diagnosed issued but refused to service at dealer them dumped the truck at a local lot.

I could never buy a truck without driving it and crawling all over it myself.....

Sorry to hear brother...

What does the service history of the VIN show on the Lexus website? Perhaps PO had diagnosed issued but refused to service at dealer them dumped the truck at a local lot.

I could never buy a truck without driving it and crawling all over it myself.....

Sorry to hear brother...

Service history showed amp issue about 30K miles ago but Lexus couldn't replicate it. Otherwise, Routine oil changes, diff fluid changes, dent repair when needed, seemed like they didn't skip service. My local dealer says the Mark Levinson amp failure is common across many of the models. I hear that about driving it yourself, my time is limited and I couldn't make that happen. Locally the LX is a hard truck to find. Bum circumstances all around but hey, it happens.

That's terrible. Maybe I missed it, but how many miles are on the truck?

113K. Certainly not too high for an LX, but high for a 2013. Highway miles.

Very sorry to hear what a terrible situation after all you went through to solidify the rig was checked out thoroughly. Sounds like everyone's nightmare situation I hope it turns around for you.

Thanks Volunteer, it's unfortunate and I did my best due diligence. Suppose it wasn't enough.

How recently did you buy the vehicle? It sounds like that was certainly a known issue by the selling dealership (hopefully it was a dealership), so I would fight tooth and nail with them to replace the transmission or take the truck back. I would imagine on the amp you're on your own, but the transmission is a basic drivetrain function and obviously should not be DOA. Make sure when you communicate with them you do it logically, methodically and in writing. Be very firm but professional, especially at first, but you will need to fight this one pretty hard it sounds like.

I wired the money for it last Monday, they wouldn't release the vehicle to my transporter until they sent me the buyers order to sign and send back so it didn't arrive until this past Saturday. I am engaging an attorney on Friday afternoon. I texted the General Sales manager and he has ignored me. Further communication will come through an attorney.

Man, that is the worst news! I’m sorry. I know I couldn’t absorb that. I don’t know if anyone else will chime in but if it was me, not being able to afford a new trans, I’d look for another independent shop to confirm that diagnosis. Any reputable independent Toyota mechanics in your area? Not to be pessimistic, but if the Lexus’s dealership felt that you just spent $1400 for the radio fix, could they be greedy enough to think you’ll replace the trans without fully diagnosing it? And that isn’t a jab at you for fixing the radio at all. I know my wife wanted everything repaired on our used 200 when we got it.

Just my .02

I plan to go to an independent transmission shop to see if they can confirm the diagnosis. But the shudder is violent and I've certainly never felt anything similar in any car I've had.

I’m sorry to hear this happened to you. If this was a very recent purchase I’d go after the dealership you bought it from to pay for the fix or take it back. I’d also consider going after the dealership that inspected it to help defray the costs incurred from shipping and/or repairing it. I’d also seek a refund on their inspection...

It was very very recent. I just took delivery of the vehicle on Saturday. I bought it out of state. I received a refund from the inspecting dealer. I'm on my own for shipping/repairing. Going to focus on selling dealer.

Also I'm curious what part of the country the truck came from. Any time I hear about electronics failing I think of flood or water damage, and the transmission failing is a total anomaly. I can't recall ever hearing about one of these failing, so perhaps there was some flood damage at some point??

It came from Dallas. It lived in Dallas its whole life. It had 3 owners, past two owners owned it exactly for 1 year and 3months before selling/trading it in. I asked about the flood damage theory when the car was just at Lexus, they said there is no rust/corrosion. When I took delivery of the car, the floor mats were slightly wet, and the amp wasn't working. Few days later (today) the floors are dry and the amp is working. I'm thinking there are some plugged drains that may be leaking water from the heavy rain (selling dealer told me it had been raining intensely the past few days before my car was shipped to me) so I may need to have someone clean the drains and make sure they are all operational.

Is it ever acceptable to commit insurance fraud? If so, this might be the case for it.

Terribly sorry for your experience. I'm generally a fix it and sell it person. But in this case, I don't know if I want to feel like I could be selling a headache. If you can absorb the hit, maybe a trade-in is called for. Maybe a trade-in to a place like CarMax which isn't likely to do enough diligence to notice the issue.

Other thought is depending on mileage, can you still buy a Toyota/Lexus service plan? Buy it, get it processed, and then present issue to have fixed. I know a couple people who've had success doing this if they are buddies with the dealer, it's likely a YMMV since the dealer is aware of these issues.

LOL! I like the sense of humor. I can absorb the hit, but it took me forever to find this car and I don't know what else I'd trade it in for. I would probably get killed if I trade like for like; and I would feel guilty dumping such a big problem on someone else. Thanks for the kind words John. I don't know about a service contract, but I'm sure this is now a pre-existing condition that is documented with Lexus.

Also curious to know how many miles are on the truck, and if the transmission has ever been flushed.

My '11 started a very alarming "shudder" on the road at about 40-45 mph (~115K miles). I was thinking the worse. Called the local dealer and they said that although Toyota officially says the WS fluid is now permanent and not meant to be changed, they had some Tundras come in with this type of shudder at 100-150K, and a full flush took care of it. So, I had them drop the pan, clean the magnets, new screen, then a complete flush of all the WS fluid. It was fine after that, never did it again, no matter how I tried. It wasn't cheap (~$500 I think including parts and the fluid), but it was worth it.

This is almost exactly what's happening to me but at a little slower speed. Maybe I should have a shop do this? The official diagnosis from Lexus was that they opened the TAS and that I had Torque converter shudder and they recommend replacing both the TC and the transmission itself as they go together and it makes sense to change the transmission while they are in there. Maybe I should explore the fluid change before diving into a $7000 repair.

Sorry to hear this. Super frustrating situation that I've been through, and both times after a dealer did a PPI. Are you close to any of the big Cruiser shops, like Slee, Cruiser Outfitters, Valley Hybrids, or ACC where some really knowledgeable and experienced people could look at your truck?

Thanks Buckeye, it is frustrating. I'm about 8 hours from Sleep. I might have to look into heading his way.

I'd go after the dealer. Document all communication in writing.

Plan is to do just that. Thanks for the counsel, Canyon.

Whats the VIN, did you check the service history through Lexus online?

I don't feel comfortable disclosing the vin publicly just yet, but I did check the history before I bought it. Routine oil changes, diff fluid changes, dent repair when needed, seemed like they didn't skip service.

Go ahead and flush the tranny, if that doesn't fix it, then something else may be wrong with the tranny. Hook up Techstream and see if there is any codes show up.

Computer is throwing zero present or stored codes. I think you're right, I should try and flush it and see if that helps the torque converter. Good thought.

Sorry to hear, the engines and 6 speed transmissions are extremely reliable and durable. First time I've heard of a new transmission needed on the 6 speed tranny. Coupled with amp needing replacement and poss AHC issues, I suspect flood damage.

Which dealership and what state was the dealership located in that sold you this truck?

I asked about the flood damage theory when the car was just at Lexus, they said there is no rust/corrosion. When I took delivery of the car, the floor mats were slightly wet, and the amp wasn't working. Few days later (today) the floors are dry and the amp is working. I'm thinking there are some plugged drains that may be leaking water from the heavy rain (selling dealer told me it had been raining intensely the past few days before my car was shipped to me) so I may need to have someone clean the drains and make sure they are all operational.

I live in Kansas and the selling dealer was in Dallas, Texas. It was a reputable authorized dealer of a domestic auto manufacturer.

Ohh that is rough. Are you 100% certain that the selling dealer is not liable for anything? How long ago did you buy it / what state are you in?

I'm not sure of the Texas law. Bought it last Monday (7 days ago), it was delivered this past Saturday (just days ago). I am in Kansas and I purchased it from Dallas Texas. Authorized dealer of a domestic car manufacturer.

Another thought; did the selling dealer offer a 3rd party warranty? If so, you may have a 30 day grace period to sign up for it. That may be worth considering if it's an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom