engine stalls on idle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently picked up an '85 FJ60 and have been driving her around to get a baseline. My first issue was a starter issue which I addressed. I was about to do a tune up (oil/filter change, sparks/wires/dizzy cap, coolant flush/tstat, timing, etc) when I just encountered the current issue at hand: the engine will stall while idling.

Leading up to this the engine would always crank up no problem but I noticed on cold starts if I didn't warm her up with full choke, as I would drive off, it would be not as responsive to the throttle very slightly but within less than a minute after she's warmed up throttle response was fine. Subsequent starts after driving around would start up just fine but on the say 10%, I would have to blip the throttle while starting to get her started up.

Now, while she starts up, I have to feather the throttle so the rpms don't dip down too low, if I don't she'll stall. And this morning on a cold start with full choke (without stepping on the throttle), she started up but then puttered out.

I've spent some time searching the threads and found this: FJ60 stalling question where I did check for the click on the idle cutoff solenoid and I do hear the audible click so I think I can rule out the ICS. Checking vacuum lines and they appear to be intact.

Not sure where else to check on the carb to troubleshoot so hoping some fellow Mud folks can point me in the right direction. Part of me thinks doing the tune up will address it with the spark plugs/wires/cap that may be the culprit or may be waay off.

This is on a stock 2F and rebuilt OEM carb from PO. Any help is appreciated.

20181014_181837.jpg

On a cold start w/ choke you do need to step on gas. Typically I pump three times, pull choke and start w/ has. If not your carb is starting w/o fuel. You could pump, no clutch, press gas and turn key to prime the pump prior to start w/ clutch too.

On a cold start w/ choke you do need to step on gas. Typically I pump three times, pull choke and start w/ has. If not your carb is starting w/o fuel. You could pump, no clutch, press gas and turn key to prime the pump prior to start w/ clutch too.

first ride with a carb so thanks for clarifying. i've been starting with the clutch pressed. also on cold starts w/ choke she starts right up without pumps. i'll add that to the start up process...once I get this stall at idle addressed. thanks!

From your description above - the old 2F seems to be acting normal. The choke knob is your friend. Pull it out fully before every cold start and if the engine has been sitting for several hours.
Always give the gas pedal a few full pumps all the way to the floor, fast down, to squirt some fuel into the manifold. If the engine sits for a few days, the gas in the carb float bowl will evaporate out and it will take more cranking to get it started. Normal.

Always start the cold engine (after you give the gas a pump or two) with your foot off the gas pedal and choke fully out. When the engine is hot, don't use the choke, and press down 1/2 on the gas while staring, but don't pump it.

Let the engine warm up with choke fully pulled out until it slowly climbs up to 1500 rpm or so & then slowly push in the choke a tad.
You're not going to have good engine performance until it warms up a bit. This engine behaves very differently when cold (worse) than a fuel injected engine.

Tune it up according to the excellent instructions in the factory manual before coming to any conclusion as to how the engine performs.

Well I did what @NeverGiveUpYota said and started her up on a cold start and she started just fine. Kept the choke on for a few minutes to warm the engine and took her for a spin. No issues.

Then repeated what I did yesterday (went shopping with my daughter) and my FJ60 sat in the parking lot but parked in front of my house tonight. Then I started her up just like @OSS said and she started right up.

It can’t be as simple as that, can it!?!...but I’ll take it. I’ll chalk it up to first time carb owner. I’ll continue the recommended process. Thanks! Really diggin this forum - I was hoping to find the answer before posting. I did find a lot of info during my search though.

On my previous manual cars (which were fuel injected), I had the habit of starting with the clutch and brake both pressed and in first gear. So now the new normal is foot off the clutch and start in neutral.

Curious during the pump on gas during a cold start with choke on, does it make a difference what key position should be; off, accessory, or on? Again, newbie carb driver here who got romanced by his FJ60 instead of the other way around. Lol

Well I did what @NeverGiveUpYota said and started her up on a cold start and she started just fine. Kept the choke on for a few minutes to warm the engine and took her for a spin. No issues.

Then repeated what I did yesterday (went shopping with my daughter) and my FJ60 sat in the parking lot but parked in front of my house tonight. Then I started her up just like @OSS said and she started right up.

It can’t be as simple as that, can it!?!...but I’ll take it. I’ll chalk it up to first time carb owner. I’ll continue the recommended process. Thanks! Really diggin this forum - I was hoping to find the answer before posting. I did find a lot of info during my search though.

On my previous manual cars (which were fuel injected), I had the habit of starting with the clutch and brake both pressed and in first gear. So now the new normal is foot off the clutch and start in neutral.

Curious during the pump on gas during a cold start with choke on, does it make a difference what key position should be; off, accessory, or on? Again, newbie carb driver here who got romanced by his FJ60 instead of the other way around. Lol
Yeah, these Asin-carbed trucks all have some "personality" you need to learn/understand. For mine, when it's stone cold, choke all the way out, 3 full pumps of the gas pedal and crank it. Sometimes it takes 30-45 sec of cranking to fire and then I punch the choke 1/2 way closed until warmed up. THen for warm starts, like another poster said, press gas pedal 1/2 way down and it fires in 2 sec -easy peasy.

The cold start drama is the same whether it's 70 or 17 outside - always seems more drawn out than I'd like. It can be 2 days or two weeks and it's always the same. My wife just rolls her eyes when I start the 60. It's a bit of an adventure, but it always starts. Rebuilt 2F and rebuilt carb, so it is what it is, and once you kinda figure out your truck's personality, you're golden.

Makes no difference what the key position is when doing the pumping/choke thing.

I only meant no clutch when priming the carb. You can do it a few times and jump out and see when the carb is half way (hood up obviously). Then start fully with clutch.
But yes, ^^^ what he said is dead on. Starting can be a process that involves eye rolling, cajoling, loving nicknames and once the truck finally roars to life, ‘see I knew you could do it!’

You can press in the clutch while starting (I always did) but it's not absolutely required. When you press in the clutch, you're disconnecting the transmission from the engine. That means a little less drag on the starter while cranking.
Also it's a good habit to get into from a safety perspective- in case you forget to take it out of gear...

Yes, @OSS says, cuz it will start and go while in gear !

I would suggest that you check the EGR valve, it sounds like it may be clogging up.

A lot of starter issues are also caused by a bad ground on the coil holder cage too, that is a major ground, and should be cleaned up so your headlights can be brighter.... It can also cause bad arching on the rotor in your distrib

Update: So far so good. Makes me feel like such a noob that it was simple as not priming up the bowl.

Next up is the tune up. Prices out some of the differences in tune up parts.
Don't need to price anything out... give Georg @orangefj45 a call at Valley Hybrid in Stockton and he will hook you up with everything you need. Can't do any better than him, let alone the fact that he is pretty local to you.

...and I was in Stockton this weekend too. Too bad his shop was closed. Reaching out to @orangefj45 today. Thanks!
I bet if you had called him he would have rolled down to you to say hi and talk with ya. Georg is awesome like that!.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom