Fed up with your crappy 80 series battery mount? LCP has a fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
What was Toyota thinking with the crappy FJ80 battery hold down. :doh: When the factory J hooks tear the box (and they will) the battery hold down bracket comes loose sparks will fly as the hold down bar shorts across the terminals. Worst case it starts a fire and your 80 series gone.:eek:

One of many actual picture below on failure that have occurred.

battery bracket before above.png

Also included in the kit is our fuseable link anti-stress set up. Fuseable links stress related damage is another problem that is address. By relocating the fuseable link connection to the back of the battery box you will no longer subject your fuseable connection to damage leaving you with a non running vehicle.

Battery Bracket Upgrade - Land Cruiser Products - LCP
Available for single or dual batteries
Template for new holes needed for L rod available on our web page in PDF

Whats included in a single battery kit below

battery%20hold%20down%20kit%20BEST.jpg

Shown below our new clean battery hold down and secure battery fuseable link set up. (Works with all batteries up to group 31)

Some clarification on our anti-stress fusiable link connection/set up. By using the included 6 gauge 9" jumper you will be relocating the fusible link to the rear of the battery box. Once relocated they do not see the abuse being out of harm way given when guys upgrade their battery or take them in and out.

Note the red jumper installed to the back of the battery box

upload_2018-9-10_17-13-29-png.1786337

Take note of the correct assembly order of the hardware, jumper, and fusible link below. This connection should be very tight using 2 wrenches.

upload_2018-9-10_17-16-13-png.1786339

Rear view of the back of the battery box once complete. Notice the chafing from abuse of the pre-existing fusible link.

upload_2018-9-10_17-18-25-png.1786341

Like most of our product this is not something we dreamed up overnight and released. I have run the same set up with a group 31 for 5 years and 60K miles with a ton of the miles off road.

Last edited:
That hold-down bar looks exactly like the one for my Studebaker!

Not having a photographic memory of whats under my battery, what do the new L bolts hook in to ?
And will it suit RHD :)

Proof read ?

Just looking at this today!

Phil:

Do you have a rubber grommet to cover the positive post connection outside the battery box?

I don't like having an exposed positive connection outside where I will inadvertently touch a wrench to it and short out the battery......sparks will fly....

BTW:
Fed up (Not feed)
Fusible (Not fuseable or fusiable)

-Skillet

Phil:

Do you have a rubber grommet to cover the positive post connection outside the battery box?

I don't like having an exposed positive connection outside where I will inadvertently touch a wrench to it and short out the battery......sparks will fly....

BTW:
Fed up (Not feed)
Fusible (Not fuseable or fusiable)

-Skillet

It was modeled after my original set up:oops: pictured below:)

upload_2018-10-15_19-9-41.png

All kits now come with a cap :D

Thank you for the product input as for the spelling I dont 4C any improvement:meh:

Bottom of the battery box
I seem to remember the entire battery box being plastic. I took both mine out when installing radiator a couple months ago. Metal fenders and some brackets - do you j-hook into metal or plastic with the new hold downs?

Ordered, just waiting on brown santa to come now

I seem to remember the entire battery box being plastic. I took both mine out when installing radiator a couple months ago. Metal fenders and some brackets - do you j-hook into metal or plastic with the new hold downs?

L rods go through the bottom of the battery box. Four times the surface area you get with the factory set up.

Good idea although I have never had a battery clamp fail, but during a trip a couple of weeks ago to Portugal a fellow traveller had a clamp come adrift. This was after hitting deep sandy tracks at speed to avoid bogging down, but they were rough to say the least, one driver actually cricked his neck on that partucular run. I dumped the fusible links in favour of a 'proper' fuse box fitted to the inner wing.

Regards

Dave

What was Toyota thinking with the crappy FJ80 battery hold down. :doh: When the factory J hooks tear the box (and they will) the battery hold down bracket comes loose sparks will fly as the hold down bar shorts across the terminals. Worst case it starts a fire and your 80 series gone.:eek:

Also included in the kit is our fuseable link anti-stress set up. Fuseable links stress related damage is another problem that is address. By relocating the fuseable link connection to the back of the battery box you will no longer subject your fuseable connection to damage leaving you with a non running vehicle.

Battery Bracket Upgrade - Land Cruiser Products - LCP
Like most of our product this is not something we dreamed up overnight and released. I have run the same set up with a group 31 for 5 years and 60K miles with a ton of the miles off road.
I agree - never liked the factory battery hold down bracket design - it's like they were in a rush to get it on the market and never got back to do it right - same for all years of 80 series. Definitely needs upgrading for off road pounding - not typically overbuilt in this area - like most things on the 80 series rigs. Lot of thought went in to your design, and sounds to be well tested. Will keep it in mind for a future project. Thanks for posting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom