What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (38 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How do you like your half doors?
Do they help with wind reduction at all? They look great!

With the bikini top on, I really like the 1/2 doors. I drove it with-out the doors for a while, but felt like I would sling out my office briefcase that I sit in the passenger floor board.

Wind reduction is negligible with the bikini top on.

Like 20 years ago, they used to stock Westslope or Yellowstone cutthroats in New Mexico waters. They were, basically, confined to lakes carved by glaciers. Nice catch.

Now I just fish tiny streams, where I might hook up with the Rio Grande variety of cutthroat. My avitar was taken on the way to one, Rio Nambe. I'm going to have to get the 40 running so I can get to a few more.

That's it, I'm moving to Montana. The old Oncorhynchus clarkia.....I'm jealous. That's one swell fish!

Don't do it, Montana sucks! I had to drive through 8" of snow Saturday, today I'm chuckin dry flies to rising trout. Finicky bastards too.

Running errands in the almost-completed early '64 FST.

View attachment 1810743
shes a beaut.jpg

When your 4x4 trail washes out it’s always good to have an alternative mode of transport.

Despite the “impassible” road conditions the cruiser was still able to get me to a favorite rock spot

Utah, My favorite state to visit, seems like you have everything we enjoys seeing and doing there. ed

I installed a 2F from the same year.

engine install.jpg

I'm performing the move, above, on a slightly sloped surface with wood mulch. You must create a level surface for ordinary 2x4s, then place 1/2" gas pipes under the hoist rails, on top of the lumber; the casters are not in place. Always have the front and the back of the hoist supported by a pipe; it is a bunch of prying with a bar to get a roller under the right spot, banging with a dead-blow hammer, and patient effort, but the swapped motor is bolted in on fresh motor mounts. This is not necessarily something that I would recommend doing, but the garage door is more seized-up than the motor that came with this rig.

Piled in my 40 and drive it to the Cruiser Crawl.

Took it on the trail.

Towed a trailer to boot.

Did not turn a wrench. 800 miles.

Perfect.

0B7840FA-1278-4F99-9071-3AD17DDB93B7.jpeg

942A58B4-D629-49AF-B630-8090FF831E63.jpeg

D3D8C504-BF0E-4F60-9733-ED48561091C0.jpeg

5E1932E8-88DE-4774-94BF-D73FE44F6B97.jpeg

21FC9B42-7AD5-4C14-89D5-E27F28040A5A.jpeg

Well.... the week started off pretty mundane. A little of this; a little of that.

I got the bug to install my U-bolt flip kits and to test-fit the new rear full float 70-series axle. To get the pinion angle close to where it was with the truck on the ground, I decided to lift up the front and rear using jack stands on the frame rails (butted up against the inner spring perches). This seemed reasonable enough... It went well - at first. I got it up on the stands and was able to get the same -1° angle that it had on the floor.

IMG_8702.JPG

Seuper! Now to pull the tires and get to work!

The rear tires came off without drama - as you would expect.

The first front tire came off - no undue drama or surprises there...

However, as I pulled the last front tire off, the front of the frame rocketed into the air and came down with a gut wrenching crash.

I ****ing dropped my FJ40 - like, on the ground.

IMG_5726.JPG

Who drops a FJ40?

IMG_3782.JPG

Thankfully, my recent offerings of ritual wallet-sacrafice must have somehow appeased the 'Cruiser Gods. I got away with what literally amounts to the single dumbed thing I've ever let happen in my garage almost completely without a scratch anywhere. Through divine intervention, the only thing that touched the ground, somehow, were the U-Bolt plates.

Luckily, these two weren't in the garage when it happened:
IMG_2046.JPG

I will leave this out of my memoirs.

Last edited:
Well.... the week started off pretty mundane. A little of this; a little of that.

I got the bug to install my U-bolt flip kits and to test-fit the new rear full float 70-series axle. To get the pinion angle close to where it was with the truck on the ground, I decided to lift up the front and rear using jack stands on the frame rails (butted up against the inner spring perches). This seemed reasonable enough... It went well - at first. I got it up on the stands and was able to get the same -1° angle that it had on the floor.

View attachment 1811842

However, as I pulled the last front tire off, the front of the frame rocketed into the air and came down with a gut wrenching crash.

I f***ing dropped my FJ40 - like, on the ground.

View attachment 1811831

Who drops a FJ40?

View attachment 1811830

Thankfully, my recent offerings of ritual wallet-sacrafice must have somehow appeased the 'Cruiser Gods. I got away with what literally amounts to the single dumbed thing I've ever let happen in my garage almost completely without a scratch anywhere. Through divine intervention, the only thing that touched the ground, somehow, were the U-Bolt plates.

View attachment 1811829

Chalk that up as a near miss! Glad you or the dogs didn't get hurt, or do any major damage to the cruiser.

View attachment 1811842

I f***ing dropped my FJ40 - like, on the ground.

View attachment 1811831

Who drops a FJ40?

View attachment 1811830

View attachment 1811829

Holy crap...really dodged a bullet on that one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom