Gear oil hand pump? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am wondering what folks are using when changing rear diff’s, TC fluids, etc... Seems like lots of the hand pumps for transferring in new fresh gear oil are pretty chinzy! Anyone have reccomendations on what the use and can be used more than once? Input appreciated.

the pump that replaces the lid in 5 gallon bucket, got mine 20+ years ago from the local oil guy. No idea on the brand buts it held up great

Nice but may be a bit big for what my needs are.

Old HVAC tech and have a couple of oil pumps used to change oil in semi hermetic compressors. Use a 6' hose off a set of gauges. Use schader valve with 1/4" copper tubing on the other end of the hose. Can operate the pump next to the vehicle not underneath it. Tube just fits inside a gallon container. Can snap a picture if you want?

Hey John that would be great, much appreciated sir! Bummer I missed Casner but had a good time with my folks.

I use a bucket lid unit as well. It seems excessive for a DIYer until you consider how often you will change oil in all 4 locations combined with buying in bulk.

A transfer pump from the auto store works well, lasts a long time. Not rocket science. Been using the same one for over 10 years.

Here is what I use.

IMG_20181015_113838059.jpg

I modified an R-12 Freon tank (4 gallon?) several years ago with a dip-tube, which doubles as a filler hole. I added an air fitting to the tank to allow you to pressurize. On the delivery end is 10' of hose with a ball valve and a narrow steel filler tube that fits inside diffs or transmissions.

To use this, you pressurize the Freon tank to <20 psi, crawl under your truck, insert the tube into the diff or transmission, open the ball valve, and 90wt flows quickly into the cavity. Very slick and low-effort. Downside is that once it's full of 90wt. you cannot easily change over to ATF or a different oil.

I modified an R-12 Freon tank (4 gallon?) several years ago with a dip-tube, which doubles as a filler hole. I added an air fitting to the tank to allow you to pressurize. On the delivery end is 10' of hose with a ball valve and a narrow steel filler tube that fits inside diffs or transmissions.

To use this, you pressurize the Freon tank to <20 psi, crawl under your truck, insert the tube into the diff or transmission, open the ball valve, and 90wt flows quickly into the cavity. Very slick and low-effort. Downside is that once it's full of 90wt. you cannot easily change over to ATF or a different oil.

Sounds awesome and very useful, any photos?

5 gallon lid pump. I bought it when I was pissed off at the crappy bottle pumps and only had 1 truck. Very handy now with multiple trucks. NAPA brand. Leaks around the shaft. Pisses me off but far less so than the alternatives.

the pump that replaces the lid in 5 gallon bucket, got mine 20+ years ago from the local oil guy. No idea on the brand buts it held up great

Same thing I use , Basic and works perfectly

Freon was measured by the pound not the gallon. Guessing your talking about the 30 pound tank. Not bad idea except for storing it when not in use.

cheap ones work just fine. I have this style and the pump style...no issues at all.

IMG_2908.jpg

Last edited:
Over the years I have tried most everything other than the high dollar big shop style. I recently bought this and am super happy about the purchase.

Roughneck Air-Operated Oil Dispenser — 8-Gallon, 145 PSI | Northern Tool + Equipment

I marked the sight tube to show quarts, works excellent.

Cheers

Your link is to the home page not any specific pump.

I see all their air operated oil pumps are over well over a $100 which is a lot for someone only working on their personal vehicles and not doing it as a business.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom