91 octane ethanol free gas in a 62 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
So the new Maverick station near my house has ethanol free 91 octane. My 62 responds very well to ethanol free so I filled up with that for the last few tanks. It's about 60 cents more than regular 87 octane, but worth it IMO. My engine is noticeably smoother, can get up to speed much quicker, and can hold hills better. Since I have 91 octane in there I bumped up the timing a little bit too, and the combination of that and better gas has made a big improvement. Also got me an extra 2.5 MPG on a trip I took this last weekend across the state. Just sharing my results and recommending that everyone here switch to ethanol free if it's available to you.

Good info.
Yeah, in my experience, the most expensive gas is the cheapest at the pump (regular 87) when you factor in the increased mpg you'll get (or at least I got) with better gas.

In Mexico, their Premium didn't (and maybe still doesn't) have ethanol in it, and my 2F was like a V8 down there running on that stuff. Way more power. Way worth it.

I have heard that the non-ethanol 87 my local Wal Mart sells gets better mileage returns. If the cost was a wash I'd love it for my Cruisers. Wish I could get 91 here. Farther north of me where there is a larger snowmobiling presence 91 non-ethanol can be had. Ethanol kills a 2 stroke so the cylinder wash down must be bad for a 4 stroke too imo.

that is what I run in most the cruisers(besides the 100 series), especial the wifes fj62 which doesn't get driven a lot. If I know I am going to burn thru a tank of gas in a week or 2 I run Costco 91 octane

since I started using non ethanol 5 or so years ago in all my small engines(over a dozen of them, from blowers to big honda generators).....not one has had to go to the small engine guy. I just drained the non ethanol out of 2 Honda 5500watt generators, been in there 2 years and it still ran great and when it came out it still smelled like gas.

that is what I run in most the cruisers(besides the 100 series), especial the wifes fj62 which doesn't get driven a lot. If I know I am going to burn thru a tank of gas in a week or 2 I run Costco 91 octane

since I started using non ethanol 5 or so years ago in all my small engines(over a dozen of them, from blowers to big honda generators).....not one has had to go to the small engine guy. I just drained the non ethanol out of 2 Honda 5500watt generators, been in there 2 years and it still ran great and when it came out it still smelled like gas.

I used to get 100 octane low lead non ethanol from my local airport. I had to put it in cans to buy it, and it might have gotten into my old 65 gt350r replica. That stuff was rated stable for 5 years. I'm thinking the regular non ethanol would be the same.

I run NEG 87 in my Truck every chance I get. My truck runs similar to normal pump 93 with that but the NEG is almost impossible to find in town for me. 25 miles to the nearest station.

Otherwise I run pump 93. I usually fill up at Costco and it’s less than $2.60 a gallon. I’ve not experimented with less than 93 because I’ve got my timing turned up to what I think is 14* initial.

On a recent trip from Texas to Colorado the truck got 15.5 mpg on a few tanks and 14mpg up through the highway passes. It impressed me for a 300,000 mile desmogged 2F.

Aviation fuel has a ton of stabilizers in it...hence the 5 yr rating. I d buy 87 non ethanol for my 85 FJ60 n it always runs smoother. It was hard to notice mpg difference as it was used at deer lease.

My dad retired as marine mechanic in Florida. He only buys marine/recereation fuel for his boat/motorcycle/small engine items. He has had not issues since. It costs more, and in long run he told me that it can sit with stabilizer for months, and does not corrode or collect moisture like ethanol.

Avgas is designed for running at altitude, at a steady RPM, in cold air. It is stable no doubt. However, consider how and where you are running before you use it. If you want to run a higher octane, or run leaded fuel, check with your local speed shops. There should be at least one that sells Sunoco or VP Racing Fuel in 5 gallon cans. There is a couple of versions in the unleaded, no ethanol, 94+ octane range, 100 octane, and then starting around 108 or 110 octane, they are leaded. You can mix any of them with pump gas and the resulting octane is a straight weighted average of the quantities used.

BTW, the lead will clog your O2 sensors and burn up the interior of your catalytic converter. At full strength, continuous use, less than 500 miles.

Last edited:
Hi, We use 87 with no eth. Our cruisers run much better , esp. Climbing hills and towing. Mike

Avgas is designed for running at altitude, at a steady RPM, in cold air. It is stable no doubt. However, consider how and where you are running before you use it. If you want to run a higher octane, or run leaded fuel, check with your local speed shops. There should be at least one that sells Sunoco or VP Racing Fuel in 5 gallon cans. There is a couple of versions in the unleaded, no ethanol, 94+ octane range, 100 octane, and then starting around 108 or 110 octane, they are leaded. You can mix any of them with pump gas and the resulting octane is a straight weighted average of the quantities used.

BTW, the lead will clog your O2 sensors and burn up the interior of your catalytic converter. At full strength, continuous use, less than 500 miles.

Not to mention lead is a public health hazard and one should never run it in your car. Car exhaust is bad enough, lets not put lead into the air for people to breath.

Not to mention lead is a public health hazard and one should never run it in your car. Car exhaust is bad enough, lets not put lead into the air for people to breath.

LOL. if you only knew the amount of private aviation aircraft flying over your head every single day burning 100 low lead..

Thousands of piston aircraft in America run 100LL daily.

LOL. if you only knew the amount of private aviation aircraft flying over your head every single day burning 100 low lead..

Thousands of piston aircraft in America run 100LL daily.
Exactly, that is terrible in itself. Still not an excuse to burn more leaded fuel though. Only does more damage than good.

For all the lawnmowers and kick start motorcycles we use octane 102, everything starts and idles far better, also after not using it for weeks.
A red hot dirtbike engine kick starts immediately after a small off road crash.
In warm weather the bio ethanol degrades after a few weeks, messy stuff, just silly left wing politics to think that stuff is good for environment.
100% is good if you adjust the engine, but 10% just leaves the exhaust as water.

92 octane non-ethanol is available at my local Union 76. I’ll have to give it a try. Though it is $4.30+ a gallon, that’s about $100 a tank.

92 octane non-ethanol is available at my local Union 76. I’ll have to give it a try. Though it is $4.30+ a gallon, that’s about $100 a tank.
Yeah the 91 ethanol free is $3.89 here and climbing.

Any tips on locating this stuff on the east coast?

Google it. That's how I found a website hat listed participating stations throughout the great state of Texas.

If not try a speed shop in your area, they may know if there is a location in your area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom