Builds The Architect's '77 FJ40 (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I received no samples before I made my decision. However, I've been keen to see almost every powder color used to replicate the 'Pewter' on these rigs. Then, unexpectedly, I came across post #327 in @oregon fj thread "Older than dirt". I was so impressed with his sample from Prismatic Powders against the OEM front bumper, I had my extra two hood hooks and windshield latch sets done in this color. It did not disappoint, thus for any future 'Pewter' color, this will be my Go-To.

For some eye candy on the 'Vegas Gold' against a few new OEM parts, see post #10 in this thread "Powder Coating Colors".

I thought Galaxy Grey III was a winner and it does look good but this looks better. It really matches well. I have 10lbs of Galaxy Grey III that I will have to make someone a great deal on. I’m gonna pick some of this up and have all my stuff done. It’s funny how you can search and search and search before you make up your mind and commit only to find that there is something better out there! I really like your rig and what you have done with it. You keep it very nice. Thanks for sharing all you do and how you do it. I have borrowed quite a few of your ideas.

The AE86 JDM Steering Wheel - Here are some photos of my refurbishment:

Before (puddy & glue? Goodness, what a mess!)
View attachment 1008955

After (All cleaned up.)
View attachment 1008948

Before (puddy & glue didn't work very well for the PO)
View attachment 1008956

After (removed the mess, made some new post, works just fine now, and looks 100% better.)
View attachment 1008957

Here is the finished product before I installed it.
View attachment 1008958
Rick, what color did you use to paint the spokes? I have the same wheel. I want it to match the Vegas Gold from Prismatic. Thanks. As always your build is used for reference.

Last edited:
Rick, what color did you use to paint the spokes? I have the same wheel. I want it to match the Vegas Gold from prosmatic. Thanks. Al always you build is used for reference.

I installed my new Vegas Gold hooks and latches last night. When I stood back to look, and in the LED shop lighting of my basement, the Vegas Gold is much more of a gold tone. It is amazing how much colors change depending on different light sources. I'll have to take some photos in the different light settings.

My go to rattle can spray is the Dupli-color Silver Charcoal Metallic. Hence the color that is on my AE86 steering wheel.

I installed my new Vegas Gold hooks and latches last night. When I stood back to look, and in the LED shop lighting of my basement, the Vegas Gold is much more of a gold tone. It is amazing how much colors change depending on different light sources. I'll have to take some photos in the different light settings.

My go to rattle can spray is the Dupli-color Silver Charcoal Metallic. Hence the color that is on my AE86 steering wheel.

Yes, pictures please. We all love pictures. So many choices.

When I stood back to look, and in the LED shop lighting of my basement, the Vegas Gold is much more of a gold tone. It is amazing how much colors change depending on different light sources. I'll have to take some photos in the different light settings.
Agreed. I based my decision to use Vegas Gold on outside, natural sunlight. I decided I was more concerned about outdoors than what it might look like in the garage.

Rick when you do take some pictures can you put some parts that have been spray painted with the silver charcoal metallic against the Vegas Gold too please. When I powder coat my door parts I can’t do the window regulators because the cranks don’t come off and the plastic will melt. I have to spray paint that with the duplicolor. Just curious how close that is with the Vegas Gold. Thanks.

Rick when you do take some pictures can you put some parts that have been spray painted with the silver charcoal metallic against the Vegas Gold too please. When I powder coat my door parts I can’t do the window regulators because the cranks don’t come off and the plastic will melt. I have to spray paint that with the duplicolor. Just curious how close that is with the Vegas Gold. Thanks.

Here are some photos I took this morning before the sun came up, the gold tones of the paint are more prevalent in the low light. This is for the Vegas Gold hood hooks and windshield latches.
IMG_3194.jpg
IMG_3195.jpg

Here is a photo in the Morning Sun.
IMG_3197.jpg

That looks really good. The Vegas Gold may be a little too gold and the Galaxy Grey alittle to grey. The stock is such a unique color. How does the Vegas Gold match the duplicolor spray paint?

That looks really good. The Vegas Gold may be a little too gold and the Galaxy Grey alittle to grey. The stock is such a unique color. How does the Vegas Gold match the duplicolor spray paint?

Not sure......However, before too long, I'm going to spray another set of hooks and latches with the Dupli-color Silver Charcoal Metallic to see how they turn out.

Please let me know when you do. Would like to see how it compares to the Vegas gold.

@Baja73 - I posted this in the recent Powder coat color thread, but might be worth cross-posting here too. The Pewter rattle can paint from JT Outfitters is a REALLY good match for Vegas Gold. Probably work for touchups, and definitely for parts that are inconvenient to powder coat.

Land Cruiser Silver Trim Paint (pewter) - JTOutfitters

Ash tray Vegas Gold, mirror bracket JTO rattle can.

img_1219-jpg.1766794

That’s a great match. Thanks. I appreciate you posting it.

My FJ40 & Tacoma has a new place to hide from the heat, as well as the cold......

IMG_3646.jpg

IMG_3484.JPG

Good thing I took the photo above, looks much-much different now, since I moved all my stuff into it.

Last edited:
Was wondering how it would turn out what with the ‘Architect’ you had to use...... :beer:

Looks good!

*Guess the design quips are getting a bit old? :hmm:

Last edited:
What?? No pit or lift??? Verry disappointed..;)

What?? No pit or lift??? Verry disappointed..;)

6" slab (minimum) with grade beams in place for a lift....However, I will need to extend the garage door up closer to the ceiling at that time. Didn't catch that when they installed them.

Garage size, 26' x 32' with a 10' ceiling.

Proposed lift would be: Triumph NT-9 or similar

Can I get some information on your lights and HVAC system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom