OE PCV hose variations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.marksoffroad.net
I have several places in my shop that are the dismantler's equivalent of the fast-food grease pit: I toss 'like ' things into the pile with the intention of sorting through it 'someday.' Well, in case you haven't noticed, circumstances have conspired to make me tidy up the shop to get a lot more things under this roof.

So this one pit has about a hundred hoses I've harvested off of rigs I've parted out over the last three decades. Without further adeu, here is my attempt at an arcane list of factory hoses.

Note: I have thrown all the bad hoses away. All these hoses are useable and available for purchase...in package deals with at least 200 dollars of ‘regular ‘ merchandise.

First up, the 64-66 F135 PCV hoses. These were cloth wrapped, just like the early fan belts.
IMG_0881.JPG

Note to all readers: if you found this post useful, you are welcome to hit the like button.

Last edited:
Next up were the 1967-1968 f145 variety. It's a little hard to tell from the pic, but these hoses are brick red.
IMG_0883.JPG

Note to all readers: if you found this post useful, you are welcome to hit the like button.

Last edited:
The '69-74 PCV hose looked basically the same as the 67-68 iteration. The later F145 valve covers used a fatter breather hose to return fresh air to the crankcase. These hoses look a lot like the 75-80 style, but with a shallower bend.
IMG_0887.JPG

Last edited:
In a surprising lack of color coordination, Toyota marketed the first of the 2Fs with a black PCV hose but a RED breather hose. I am not sure how far into the 75-80 period this continued, but virtually no one knows the red hose even existed. It's a good thing that I have six of them to prove they did!

Also note that the 75-80 breather hose has a sharper bend than the '69-'74 variety
IMG_0888.JPG

Last edited:
The 81-87 PCV hoses are very long, and formed to wrap snugly around the air cleaner housing. The breather hoses are a simple 90 degree elbow.
IMG_0889.JPG

Last edited:
Interesting bit of history there. As an aside, I was informed, in another thread, that you had spacers to replace the old 4 blade metal fan with the later 6 blade plastic.

I need on for my 74 Piggy, and thought I was going to have to pull the spacer off the 40 and take it to a machine shop. How do I order one from you?

Speaking of formed hoses, the 76-80 booster hose qualifies as one of the most unusual.
IMG_0890.JPG

Last edited:
Depending on how things go tomorrow I may venture into the pit for some more hose trivia
IMG_0891.JPG

In a surprising lack of color coordination, Toyota marketed the first of the 2Fs with a back PCV hose but a RED breather hose. I am not sure how far into the 75-80 period this continued, but virtually no one knows the red hose even existed. It's a good thing that I have six of them to prove they did!

Also note that the 75-80 breather hose has a sharper bend than the '69-'74 variety
View attachment 1394715
I've still got a red hose on my '76 FJ40, more than likely original as the engine only has 64,355 miles on the clock.

BTW, any and all of these hoses are available for purchase by someone wishing to have that extra touch of period-correctness. They are not being marketed individually, but would be available with a package deal.

Mark, do you know when the PCV started showing up? My early '64 (5/63 build) didn't have one. Just a simple breather hose from the valve cover to the air cleaner housing.

Mark, do you know when the PCV started showing up? My early '64 (5/63 build) didn't have one. Just a simple breather hose from the valve cover to the air cleaner housing.

I believe it was in ‘65. I have worked on a dozen or so ‘64s, none of which had it.

First hose has been spoken for.

Love this; the red hoses are some of first things that end up missing on a 50 year old rig--same with the OEM clamps.

Mark, I’m glad this thread has inspired you to delve deep into the bowels of your shop and reveal to us the secrets of a real collector!

I’m not missing any hoses I was only hoping to replace my hard as a rock 38 year old hoses with fresh soft Toyota parts.
I realize that ain’t gonna happen and will have to do what is recommended by the good people here.

devo

My early 64 45lv has PVC....motor is originally(# stamped on vin plate & block) to truck. But if I recall the engine # is closer to 1965.

anyone know where I can buy one of the early cloth covered PVC hoses?

Hi mark,
Can I buy a red pcv hose please, only prob will be it’ll need to be posted to Scotland ! I have a 76 fj40and the red hose fitted at the crankcase end is brittle and breaking off.
All the best Stan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom