Scrapedknuckled rant. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, lets get this out of the way first: I love my FJ80! That said, why is it so HARD to work on this machine? I mean I've worked cars, motorcycles, lawnmowers, washing machines, etc, etc... and it should NOT take multiple hours to change a fan belt!!!:bang: Luckily I was going to change out my radiator hoses anyway. Hahahaha
BTW, I love my FJ80!

Sometimes it's the archer and not the arrow...

Because there's only one way to do it right. The right way seems longer but if you skip steps, it takes even longer......

Ok, lets get this out of the way first: I love my FJ80! That said, why is it so HARD to work on this machine? I mean I've worked cars, motorcycles, lawnmowers, washing machines, etc, etc... and it should NOT take multiple hours to change a fan belt!!!:bang: Luckily I was going to change out my radiator hoses anyway. Hahahaha
BTW, I love my FJ80!
If you haven't already got a copy of the Toyota Factory service manual for your truck, i highly recommend you get one. That manual is the complete bible on how to repair these trucks. Cheers, and welcome to the madness!

It shouldn't have taken hours.
But i have an idea why it did.

I have a '92. The first time i had to eff with the belts to change the alternator, it was terrible. Then i learned how to access the tensioner bolts from the wheel-wells and how to thread the belts through/around the fan. Then it was easy.

The truck was designed to be field-fixed with minimal for critical stuff. Especially keep in mind that a LOT can be accessed through the wheel wells.

The truck was designed to be field-fixed with minimal for critical stuff. Especially keep in mind that a LOT can be accessed through the wheel wells.

This.

Coming from the BMW-world, it's amazing the stuff you can get to via the wheel well. It's unheard-of with performance cars.

I noticed you said FJ and not FZJ. Never worked on the 3FE but the belts on the 1FZ are probably some of the easiest I’ve ever changed.

I will say that with my 1FZ belts, it was kind of a pain to get the alternator to move on its slider bolt.

My 80 is one of the easiest vehicles I have ever worked on.

My Fords were the worst. I used the F word a lot working on my Fords.

Like why the F did they put that there?....or make that part out of plastic, or make it so I need to remove x, y, and z in order to remove a basic service item.

The 80 is straightforward IMO....even the belts

Having taken most of mine apart and put it all back together again, I will say that most of it is really easy to work on and was built to last. The few exceptions to that were getting the new fuel filler neck in, replacing the AC line next to the firewall and if I wanted to deal with it, running new hard lines for the rear heat. Those are all understandable though when you consider the sequence the trucks were built and all of them are doable, just a hassle.

If you didn't bleed you didn't dig deep enough.

It's hard to work on, compared to what? It is much more complected and challenging that my 1972 Datsun 240Z that I bought brand new. On the other hand, it is WAY easier to work on than say a 2003 GX 470. So, the moral of the story is: If you like to wrench on cars, buy cars that you like to wrench on!!

Harder to work on than my Studebaker, but MUCH easier than my Chrysler Town and country's.

You'll get there! It takes a bit to learn the tricks!

Harder to work on than sitting on the couch, easier to work on than working to earn the money to pay someone else to work on it.

I've found landcruisers mostly easy to work on. Like some of the other guys, older, simpler1970s cars were easier, but I'd rather work on my LC than any other modern car I've owned.

Manual? Check
New belts? Check
New hoses? Check
Scraped knuckles? Check
More knowledge? Check
Thanks for the pep talk. I needed it. :beer:

Yeah, man, it definitely takes a pep-talk once in a while. There definitely are some things which will be a total pain in the ass. However, if you are having some difficulty, step back for a few and think how it might be easier. If there doesnt seem to be an easier way, and it isnt in the manual, it might just be a tough job.
Consider the system/parts you are replacing. If they should last 20 years with no service, it will be a tough job. But if it is meant to be serviced/adjusted every couple months/years, it is probably really simple once you know where/how to access the bolts/screws/clips.
Newer Toyotas are designed with less required service/adjustment in mind, so some stuff is damn near impossible to get at without a lot of disassembly.
Always remember to come here after you cant find what you need in the FSM. As @cruiserdan would say, "there are no new questions..." on these trucks. Collectively, we have replaced/repaired everything.
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom