Help needed- 97 40th Anniversary (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I've been in the market for another 80 for a while now and have been eyeing this 40th Anniversary edition for quite a while. I love the color, the low miles and the leather is in great condition. That being said, it was salvaged at only 2000 miles.

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser - The Manhattan Auto Group

From the interior pics it seems like some of the parts belong to a non-40th edition truck, there's no 40th anniversary stickers or special emblem on the center console. Those aren't major concerns, I don't mind if the parts aren't all matching as long as it's reliable. But I'm a little sketched out by the fact it's been in two accidents, one major. The fact it's made it 69k miles since the major accident brings me some comfort, but I'd like your guys opinions as well. Do you guys think it'd be a good choice for a dd/overland rig? Have any Denver locals gone down and seen this truck in person? Thanks!

#1. Hood/front bumper gaps are significantly off...front end damage for sure
#2. Heater valve has been changed/RAD looks original...possibly replaced with OEM after collision/rust on battery hold down...not typical
#3. It has 70K miles at 13K? I'd buy it if I were looking for a non-pristine/restoration quality rig for general use.
Edit: Don't get hung up on Anniversary/Collectors edition or whatever. No one cares. Check the underside/frame extensively prior to purchase. Sun damage on the interior fake wood bits seems unusual to me. My '94 has the same trim and nowhere near the fading/bubbling/peeling.

Last edited:
What's up with the "wood" trim? It's faded, cracked and missing in lots of places. Passenger air bag cover appears warped. Glove box also not closing correctly. May be the picture but in the one of the center part of the dash it looks bent to me just left of the useless cubby thing (there's a crack in the trim between the clock and the vent at this same area). Also look at the Landcruiser logo across the back, its so bleached out you can barely read it. Maybe it spent a lot of the last 20 years sitting in the sun and was recently painted?

I'd have to see it in person but from the pics that does not seem like a $13k truck to me even with those miles.

Thank you for your help, guys! I didn't notice the crack in the vent. Between the sun damage on the wood trim and the rear logo, I agree it's probably been sitting for quite some time. Maybe I'll go down and look at it person, I know pictures don't really paint the full picture.

I’d walk away from this one. The low mileage is attempting to seduce you, don’t let it.

Two accidents including a major accident with a salvage title makes this a wheeler or a parts rig in my opinion. Other guys will think I’m nuts, but everyone has to have standards.

I wouldn’t even waste your time to go look at that cruiser. You can find much better examples at that price. You can even find some semi-built, triple locked rigs for maybe a few thousand more. Yes, you’re going to have a higher mileage truck, but they’re Toyota’s so it doesn’t matter. A well maintained Toyota will give you all the miles you’ll ever need.

If you’re looking for bang for the buck, I’d even look at 100 series cruisers as well. Now is the sweetspot for buying those trucks.

Rebuilt title? Run fast my friend.

Yeah, that thing would need a real good look over....I see many things that would make me steer away from it. It almost looks like all the body side moldings have been painted too. That means it could have been painted down both sides. The passenger air bag cover looks wonky and lots of missing things all over too. I had a previous life in collision repair and for that thing to have been salvaged at 2900 miles, it would have had to have some serious damage. Big crash, flood, electrical fire etc. I'd say its worth about $1500, but I'd try to find an unmolested one regardless of it being a Collectors or 40th.

It's about 10 minutes from me today, I may swing by and take a gander just out of curiosity. Too bad I'm not in my 40th today, it would simply embarrass them:rofl:

Front and rear bumper are painted body color. That is not correct, so it's been hit on both ends.

I vaguely recall this exact same info being posted on this truck about a year ago.

Rebuilt or salvage title was one of my deal breakers when I was in the market. You just don't know what you are getting into.
If you're willing to travel south a bit you'll find some nice examples with less rust for a lower price. @CaptClose is right. Once you hit 20 something years old mileage start to matter a lot less. Your gonna need to refresh the engine either way. Just look at condition more than miles.

I knew coming to mud was a good idea, you guys gave me a healthy dose of reality. The miles were the most alluring part, but if a bunch of parts are non original it shows just what really might've happened to this rig and if the damage made it all the way to the cabin that means the frame isn't straight which is my only deal breaker. I'll sit on this for a little while, look at some 100s, maybe even see if any MUD members have something they'd be willing to trade for a 4th gen 4runner. Thanks for all your help, I'm one to fall in love with a truck if I see it in person and now I'm not gonna waste the gas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom