H55F into a HzJ76... ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone replaced the R151F in a 76 ( or any other 7?? with the r151 box) with a H55F?
Just looking at my options. Say i could get a H55F with HZ input shaft.
I would then need:
Bell housing to suit
Clutch fork and bearing
Clutch slave?
Cross member and g/box mount.

Lengthen back propshaft???
Shorten front prop shaft?

Is the H55 gear lever placed too far forwrd to actually work.
I see on the R151, there seems to be an intermediate plate between the split case and the R151. If this was ditched, would the split case bolt directly to the h55f?

With the possible exception of the propshafts, could this be a "Toyota Parts Bin" conversion?
If so, which 70 model would I use as a base for parts.

My 76 has 4.3 electric locking and high pinnion front, diffs?? Is there a model with 4.1 diffs which would swap out. I figured that 4.1 diffs and an extra low range gear from Marks or TT would make up for the gereral lower range of the H55 and 4.1 ratio, and that perhaps someone with taller tyres may just want the 4.3's.

Anyone out there been down this road???

G

Last edited:
You need a Mr. T bellhousing ( I'll post number tomorrow since I don't have it on top of my head ) which was the one used in HZJ70 series which came with 1HZ and H55F tranny ..

If your t-case it's a BF1A should be bold on .. all clutch components from that 70 series models, disc it's gonna be 21 splines and 275mm .. even tho you can do the magic ( I did <) with exedy or isuzu parts to have a 300mm clutch ..

Cheers Tap, any advantages to the 300 clutch if one does not tow or wheel the vehicle??

Does anyone have the measurement from the gearstick to the engine edge of the bell housing for a H55F/1Hz combo??

G

I cross-referenced the parts from mine on TOYDIY and your current

31204 FORK SUB-ASSY, CLUTCH RELEASE

31204-36110 1 $79.79

31230 BEARING ASSY, CLUTCH RELEASE

31230-60130 1 $117.26

is the same.

No T I don't, i do however have a 76 with 250K on the clock and a slow transfer of oil from the gbox to the tcase, so I need to do something because we travel to some far away places and I want a walk away solution to the 76 "gearbox problems". Do you perhaps have a H55F laying around looking for a good home.

No T I don't, i do however have a 76 with 250K on the clock and a slow transfer of oil from the gbox to the tcase, so I need to do something because we travel to some far away places and I want a walk away solution to the 76 "gearbox problems". Do you perhaps have a H55F laying around looking for a good home.

This is probably what you don't want to hear, but rebuild your existing box. The R151 may not be the best g/box but it can get respectable klms with a respectable driver.Sorry if I have already said that.

Back to the H55F, have you measured it up.? I thought the H55F was too short for the coil models because the pan hard rods get in the way of the cross member. I thought that was the reason no one ever seems to do this swap.

Last edited:

Back to the H55F, have you measured it up.? I thought the H55F was too short for the coil models because the pan hard rods get in the way of the cross member. I thought that was the reason no one ever seems to do this swap.

Ahhhh ok, .... live and learn everyday, thanks.

The H150F will be easier to find around our parts anyway, G.

Cheers Tap, any advantages to the 300 clutch if one does not tow or wheel the vehicle??
G

more friction surface .?

If you ask it's a no brainier ..

bellhousing 31111-60230

any advantages to the 300 clutch if one does not tow or wheel the vehicle??

I think hard acceleration is the big enemy of clutches. I dont think low gears and low rpms would be too much for the 275mm clutch with a good driver. I would just get a good clutch like something from the Exedy range

Ok, I got on to my back last night for a change...
Looks as if you are correct Ross. The cross member would have to be exactly where the suspention links are. True, a cross member and mounting could be fabricated, but not properly without full access to the chassis, and I'm done with this type of conversion anyway.
So, back to a R151 rebuild or sourcing a H150/1. Ho Hum. Trouble is that it's is a daily drive/ second vehicle at the moment, so I would have to send it in or get a solution which I could slip in over a weekend.

Thank you all for indulging me, and to Tmarx, please change that request to a H151 or H150 with tx case.

G

The 1HZ H55F is no problem, we (Cruiser Outfitters) keep them in stock (Part# TR60850). Bellhousing, clutch, Fork, etc are easy, again we stock.

Capture.JPG

Edit: I'll have to peak at the suspension mounting interference. Great point, I'd never considered that!

Edit 2: that oiler price looks high :D

Edit 3: fixed that price

Last edited:
Hi Kurt
Thank you for the reply, two things, your pricing looks good, but shipped to South Africa , they kill the deal, and, Ross is quite right, the front suspention arms (It's a coil spring front) are located just in front of the R151F cross member and this cross member is located at the back of the rear housing of the gearbox, so, quite far back. The H55F is a shortie with the cross member under the main part of the gearbox, so it would locate exactly where the controll arms are. As I said, one could " make a plan" as we say here, but it would be a pain and unless Uncle Toy makes brackets and cross members especially for this, then I am not interested..

All the best
George.

Hi Kurt
Thank you for the reply, two things, your pricing looks good, but shipped to South Africa , they kill the deal, and, Ross is quite right, the front suspention arms (It's a coil spring front) are located just in front of the R151F cross member and this cross member is located at the back of the rear housing of the gearbox, so, quite far back. The H55F is a shortie with the cross member under the main part of the gearbox, so it would locate exactly where the controll arms are. As I said, one could " make a plan" as we say here, but it would be a pain and unless Uncle Toy makes brackets and cross members especially for this, then I am not interested..

All the best
George.

Doh! I didn't notice you were in South Africa :D

One thing we never sorted from the above thread is the diff ratio question. The 76 has 4.3 electric lockers with a high pinnion front.
Is there a 70series model with 4.1 diffs which would bolt in ,and plug in to replace my 4.3 diffs.

G

Hi Kurt

All the best
George.

You should contact @SNLC or check out his thread where he converted a 70 with H55 to coils, where he had to tackle the crossmember in the way of control arm brackets issue.

You should contact @SNLC or check out his thread where he converted a 70 with H55 to coils, where he had to tackle the crossmember in the way of control arm brackets issue.

Correction: R151 trans.

Cheers

I can not comment on an h55, I don’t have a 70 here with that trans. Although one is coming.

I can tell you the 1fz 70’s with the h151, the cross member is not an issue. This I am 98% sure of.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom