Hood prop rod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought the OEM support rod, grommet and clip from Amayama. They had it in stock and I received it in about 3 weeks. With shipping, I was just under $40

View attachment 1805616

Love to see a picture of it installed. I might do this too.

Why not just order new hood struts? A lot of time and effort put forth to reinventing the wheel here......

Your choice, they are readily available. IIRC, have replaced my struts, twice, they die. Have had hoods slammed shut by wind gusts, with good/new struts. We sometimes run devices like jackhammer, pressure washer, etc, off of the battery, having the hood slam, short to the clamps would not be a good thing?

You can imagine that it's some huge investment. We collect prop rods on pick & pull runs, the holes are there, pop in a grommet, snap in the clip, done, ~$10 deal, have done lots of them. Rods are simple, solid, more reliable, no "inventing" needed, so pick your poison.:meh:

Love to see a picture of it installed. I might do this too.

I will take one tonight, but I will say that it is one of my favorite things that I have done. Every time I open the hood, I am relieved that there is no risk of it falling down. It just seems better. I have been in some pretty good wind with it open and I feel like it's much less prone to falling down.

Tools is right on, I live in the mountains, I have replaced my struts twice, this summer on a fishing expedition I ran into a truck that had died, where this guy was he could have easily spent a couple days before someone else came by ( I live in the south east corner of bc, very low population and rugged) we determine he has lost charge with some dirty and loose battery clamps, I open the hood to prepare to boost him and as I’m parked on a downward slope the hood comes down on me. So I will happily go old school, also for some se will particularly give out when it is -20 and blowing snow sideways

Mine gave me a black eye, damn thing slammed my head into the abs and bent the hood. ****ing hurt!!!

Getting hit in the head like others made me switch. Wasn’t a hard hit, just a slow whack on a cold day.

I will take one tonight, but I will say that it is one of my favorite things that I have done. Every time I open the hood, I am relieved that there is no risk of it falling down. It just seems better. I have been in some pretty good wind with it open and I feel like it's much less prone to falling down.

Thanks, I think this is something I would like to do. My hood struts are in good shape but in cold weather the gas charge is weakened and like others...I have had the hood start to close on me because of a wind gust.

Buy a non US 80 series rod,
53451-60010
+ clip 53452-90351
You will need the grommet too.
Shouldn't cost more than $25 + shipping.

I snatched one for my 91 80 off of a 98 Corolla. Fit fine.

I used a support from a 89-95 4Runner, 53441-89105, and bent to fit. I only did this mod because I once had a gust of wind strong enough to close the hood while I had my arm in the engine bay. Thought I had broke my forearm.

Here is a pic of the non-US 80 series prop rod, grommet and clip I mentioned in post #9.

prprd-2.jpg
prprd.jpg

Not sure if it's my screen or if I see just a little dirt/oil bu your filler cap. Might wana clear that up before any more pics. Apologies for publicly calling you out for the filth in that engine bay.

not Sure what Toyota mine came from at the Pick n pull, but it is 35" from the top bend to the bottom bend, and that is nearly perfect to hold the hood full open so the wind cant move the hood up off the rod. With a slight massage it bends around the core support really nice.

I bought a Toyota so I never have to lift the Hood...
Nah, I have the 4 Runner Prop Rod Used off Ebay and got the Grommet and Clip at local stealership just to show them I'm still alive.

Partsouq.com has the rod, with $14 for the rod and $11 for shipping. i have ordered lots of parts from this website.

Says they have 22 on hand. well, 21 as I will order one soon.
Screenshot_20181009-191703_Adblock Browser.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom