where is the screw to turn the idle up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Screw... None. Idle is controlled by the ECU via the idle control valve.

On first start after ECU has forgotten things, idle will be strange for a bit, have you restarted the engine a few times? One assumes that EVERYTHING is connected back properly...

cheers,
george.

I bet he has the throttle cable too slack. Adjust the nuts on the cable to get the idle up.

Last edited:
first start after a month long dead battery. I was starting it once a week with the remote start. 1993 cruiser.. I am thinking that the remote doesn't turn every thing off.... two weeks and battery was so dead that not even the dome light glowed. I started it and let it run for a hour or so.. idle at 300. hour later went out to start it and the idle was 150. But as a Toyota it kept running but the oil pressure was down between nothing and the 1/4 level.. it usually runs in the middle.

Again, the idle is controlled by the ECU. It will do what it wants regardless of what you want :)

The control is via the idle control valve. This is how FI vehicles have been 'doing things' for a few decades.

I'd suggest you check that everything is intact under the hood. Sitting there allows critters time to nest and chew on things they shouldn't.

cheers,
george.

If the battery has been disconnected or totally dead, then the ECU has completely forgotten the normal parameters for running properly. It may take a dozen or more start ups to learn what it needs to run right. One of the 93s we often work on usually takes 30-40 starts to get it to settle down.

If the battery has been disconnected or totally dead, then the ECU has completely forgotten the normal parameters for running properly. It may take a dozen or more start ups to learn what it needs to run right. One of the 93s we often work on usually takes 30-40 starts to get it to settle down.

Agreed. I recently disconnected my battery to clean the posts and upon start up the engine immediately revved up to 2,000 rpm. It stayed there for about a minute and then dropped back to about 1200 rpm. It took 6-7 more starts and a couple trips into town before it settled back down to 650 (engine hot no A/C).

Out of curiosity, what year are we talking about?

^ you can add some vehicle details to your signature in your profile. Then it's always there :)

cheers,
george.

Every time the battery on our '93 gets disconnected for a longer period of time (for whatever reason...), afterwards the ECU "thinks" 200rpm is good enough for idle. What helps is resetting the IAC by turning the key from "off" to "Ign on" (without trying to start the vehicle) for 15 times within 20 seconds (this is not my input, it's according to this board, but I can't remember the post...). Sounds whack, feels retarded when you're doing it, but it helps, perhaps not on the first try, but usually on the second.

I am not sure it is not showing up like yours.

Above the search bar (top right area of this page) should be your avatar/account. Click on it and one option is signature, click. Fill in the box with stuff and it should then appear.

cheers,
george.

you should also clean the throttle plate, if its dirty I can cause a low idle after the battery has been disconnected

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom