OLD Man Emu Vs Bilstein (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi, i am building a Fj40 with 2f engine etc. i am thinking about suspension. My plans are to get 2"-2.5" lift. What would you recomend? Is the option OME leafs and bilstein suspension sounds good to you?

How about steering stabiliser? Has anybody used a bilstein for steering?

I have heard tooo many horror stories about bilsteins coming apart on the trail, I don't know that they would be on my list. I've heard good things about OME shocks on the 40, guy I work with wont stop talking about how great they ride

I run Bilstein shocks on my 40 and absolutely love them. I have never heard of them coming apart, never had a problem myself. I don't wheel the s*** out of my rig but I do run up the miles on some pretty rough forest service roads.

I sold my 2008 4Runner because it rode way too rough, compared to my 40. 4Runner was 100% stock, Limited package. 40 has 4" Skyjacker lift, Bilstein shocks.

4Runner<FJ40

I think many on the trail with modified suspension inadvertently end up using the shocks as bump stops or limiting straps. No shock will hold together under those circumstances.

I've used cheapy no name aftermarket, HFS and currently Bilstein 5100's. The Bilsteins work much better. Never tried OME. I would not hesitate to buy Bilsteins again. I would like to try some Fox one day though also...

A big advantage to going all OME is that the company matches its shock rates to its own springs, and you can choose which suits your driving style and the amount of equipment and cargo you plan to carry. I've had OME on my 40 for . . . 15 years, maybe? Perfect service. And a two-inch lift is just right for a 40 that's not intended to be a rock buggy. Useful extra clearance without the handling drawbacks of a big lift. This is mine with OME and 235/85 x 16 BFGs.

40677156295_e5d0ea33dc_c.jpg

I have a 13yrs old OEM on my 42, PO remove a leaf on the rear pack after initial install for a better ride since he was driving most of the time with empty cargo space
I carry alots of tools and the rear was lower so i put the leaf back on and its perfect now

While i was reinstalling the rear ome shock I need to lift the axle a little bit to reach the lower shock pin ( 42 was on jackstands with axle floating ) like the rear shock was to short , I dont wheel this rig hard so i dont care but if I flex it to the max the shock will limite drop for sure, on my 40 I bougth my shock after max flex measurement

I dont know if anybody got troubles because of that, its juste weird since it was an OME kit

I have Skyjacker Springs with Bilsteins

totally love the Bilsteins - if you discount one snapping off at the mounting bracket in hard wheeling in Moab, I've had no problems in more than 10 years

A big advantage to going all OME is that the company matches its shock rates to its own springs, and you can choose which suits your driving style and the amount of equipment and cargo you plan to carry. I've had OME on my 40 for . . . 15 years, maybe? Perfect service. And a two-inch lift is just right for a 40 that's not intended to be a rock buggy. Useful extra clearance without the handling drawbacks of a big lift. This is mine with OME and 235/85 x 16 BFGs.

40677156295_e5d0ea33dc_c.jpg

That's a beautiful rig, sitting just right imo!

I had a bilstein strut lock up and break on my 2003 tundra. It caused significant damage. Granted, it was my sons car and it did give warning by leaking out fluid prior to failing so it could have been avoided.

I run the CCOT lift. No real complaints, but if I were to do it again I would get the OME from Kurt. He will dial it in for your needs and I dont think I have heard of any install issues of stuff not fitting like I have with other systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom