Mechanic recommendations in C-bus area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’d like to have my FJ80 inspected and I don’t know where to go. Anyone has any recommendations?

I personally haven't found anyone that is even remotely cruiser savvy...there's TLC performance south of town but he's mainly older trucks and said he was so busy he wasn't taking on any work. It royally sucks.

I personally haven't found anyone that is even remotely cruiser savvy...there's TLC performance south of town but he's mainly older trucks and said he was so busy he wasn't taking on any work. It royally sucks.
I tried to call and email and never got a reply from them. I was gonna try and drive there tomorrow, but I guess not. I have a guy that works on my cars, but I don’t feel like he’s the guy to work on my LC.

I tried to call and email and never got a reply from them. I was gonna try and drive there tomorrow, but I guess not. I have a guy that works on my cars, but I don’t feel like he’s the guy to work on my LC.
I know it's not the cheapest option but the dealer isn't a bad place for big things. At least you have the peace of mind of it getting done right.

I never got an email from them either, finally got him on the phone once. REALLY nice guy just very busy. I need to rebuild my axles and some more than just super basic maintenance but apartment living is killing that ability so I'm a little SOL. I've heard Tansky is tolerable but the pricing I've personally received is outrageous.

I never got an email from them either, finally got him on the phone once. REALLY nice guy just very busy. I need to rebuild my axles and some more than just super basic maintenance but apartment living is killing that ability so I'm a little SOL. I've heard Tansky is tolerable but the pricing I've personally received is outrageous.
I know how you feel. I just moved here and am currently in an apartment. I washed my car at 3 am in my "driveway" one weekend night so nobody would report me.

There’s a cruiser guy who used to manage a shop in Westerville but now he’s out at a shop in New Albany. His name is Doug Hill but don’t know his handle here. I messged a link to this thread to him so hopefully he will chime in. He’s a good guy.

I've been to 2 dealerships around Cleveland. My 80 series wagon would have been the 1st they had seen in the shop. Just saying that not all dealerships are created equally.

Same boat as everyone else. Here from Louisiana and looking for a shop to do my knuckles? Anyone had any luck with finding a place?

fj40jim is your man in the Cbus area

Soooooo....... what is the best way to get in touch with him? I sent him an email when I first got up here 6 months ago and never heard back.

Boom

Jim at TLC Performance is a personal friend of mine. He is really busy and in order to get work done he has to devote his time to actually fixing things. He oversaw the restoration of my FJ40 several years ago. Even back in 2012, he had an 8 week turn around on carb rebuilds. I imagine it has never slowed for him. FJ40Jim is very methodical and conscientious about his craft and cannot be rushed. My first suggestion would be to get the factory manuals and see what is involved - whether it is something you can tackle. My second suggestion would be to take it to a mechanic whom I have used for work on used imported cars. As the father/stepfather of 4 driving teenagers at one time, I bought a lot of used cars. Brad at Imports Plus Automotive has always been very competent and knowledgeable. He has a great crew, also. He never takes advantage of a customer and is straight shooter. He has offered to work on my FJ40 and I will be contacting him soon. I need my starter sent out to be rebuilt and an oil change. Since my right hand got nerve damage I can't wrench anymore. Check out their FaceBook page at Imports Plus Automotive
Ted

Yea, nothing against Jim but he’s a tough one to run down. Also, completely understand him not having time. I would do the work myself but I’m a 1000 miles from home. (Minimum tools, no setup properly, etc.) The cruiser is my daily driver and I don’t have my truck to drive in the event I’m missing a part or something goes wrong. I would be taking a huge chance with it being my only mode of transportation. Have a mechanic that I trust but doing the knuckle and seals rebuild is out of his realm. Would prefer a competent LC80 guy.

Would prefer a competent LC80 guy.
You may be looking for a proverbial unicorn. Your truck is older the the techs who work at the dealer. Seriously, contact Brad Harmer at Imports Plus Automotive and ask him about it. He has been running a successful shop for many years. I watched Jim Chenoweth do mine and it is pretty straight forward - not rocket science. I am sure a guy like Brad who has been working on imports for decades can handle it.

You may be looking for a proverbial unicorn. Your truck is older the the techs who work at the dealer. Seriously, contact Brad Harmer at Imports Plus Automotive and ask him about it. He has been running a successful shop for many years. I watched Jim Chenoweth do mine and it is pretty straight forward - not rocket science. I am sure a guy like Brad who has been working on imports for decades can handle it.
Fair point. I will see about getting in touch with Brad. Thank you for the recommendation.

Anyone take their Toyota’s to Luke’s auto or Japanese Auto Service in Columbus? Mine was just at the dealer doing recall work and they found a few things.

Probably depends on what exactly needs done. I think I have heard good things in general about Luke's. I have only used Lucore up in Plain City, but it was minimal stuff like alignment and associated lift adjustments. I think one of the owners is a Toyota Truck kind of guy though.

Probably depends on what exactly needs done. I think I have heard good things in general about Luke's. I have only used Lucore up in Plain City, but it was minimal stuff like alignment and associated lift adjustments. I think one of the owners is a Toyota Truck kind of guy though.
Good to know. I appreciate the info! I’m going to take a look when I get the car back. I got the inspection report emailed to me but haven’t heard from the dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom