Builds 97 on 40s Expo Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The biggest improvement to my truck's handling after I did the 3-link was redoing the rear suspension and adding a splined swaybar out back. Seriously guys. Run the numbers. Pay attention to your oversteer. Fixing the rear geometry easily added an extra 10-15mph to my highway cruising speeds and the only reason I don't go faster than 75 is because of the wobbles from the unbalance beadlocks. Cornering speeds were also greatly improved. I can only imagine how much better it would be with a front swaybar. @nukegoat can also attest to how much better the truck drives with corrected rear geometry.

I think adding a DeltaVS panhard lift bracket could have killed some of the oversteer and unlikeable characteristics of the rear geometry when lifted without completely redesigning it. If you spent all that money and time redoing the rear and can't go faster you'd better balance those or change tires/wheels!:flipoff2:

If 2.5” and 35s already feels sketchy and everything is set up correct than this Will no doubt be worse. Not trying to lead anyone on the incorrect path, when your driving my truck over 70mph you have to actually be driving and paying attention. It does move around more, and fast corners you have to be a tad more cautious with. Pay more attention to the road signs is all I’m saying. If it says 55mph around a corner you better not go 75 around it or you’ll probably die haha

Edit: If it had a 4th link would that help keep things less sketch? I would think there would be room for that without any wizardry. Asking for a friend.

Last edited:
I think adding a DeltaVS panhard lift bracket could have killed some of the oversteer and unlikeable characteristics of the rear geometry when lifted without completely redesigning it. If you spent all that money and time redoing the rear and can't go faster you'd better balance those or change tires/wheels!:flipoff2:

Edit: If it had a 4th link would that help keep things less sketch? I would think there would be room for that without any wizardry. Asking for a friend.

@NateMob just added a panhard lift bracket on his 3linked truck and he said it helped a lot. I’ll make one for myself soon.

I doubt a 4link would be much different. These things are just heavy and really flexi suspension just has a couple downsides. But having swag bars front and rear would certainly help the onroad manners. I imagine that would fix just about everything based on what @nukegoat has stated.

@NateMob just added a panhard lift bracket on his 3linked truck and he said it helped a lot. I’ll make one for myself soon.

I doubt a 4link would be much different. These things are just heavy and really flexi suspension just has a couple downsides. But having swag bars front and rear would certainly help the onroad manners. I imagine that would fix just about everything based on what @nukegoat has stated.

The way I see it, adding another link would eliminate the offset forces imposed on a 3-link front axle in hard braking and cornering situations. Essentially the same setup as the rear. What is the reason this approach wouldn't work? Just no room for it?

I raised my panhard (DIY) prior to redoing the rear suspension and also lowered the frame mount. In my experience it made no difference in the truck's handling and I'd even go as far as to say these glowing reviews are a bit placebo. There's a lot more to the rear suspension geometry aside from just the panhard. My truck is not that tall and I was still sitting at 15º of oversteer before I redid the rear links which is really bad.

Stock rear suspension on my truck w/ raised panhard:

UVAIxPp.png

Its not the 3 link vs 4 link vs 5 link thats relevant as much as it is a re engineering of the geometry. it is tremendously different when designed with the kinematics in mind. Suspension design for quantifiable things is not subjective - avoid anecdotes here. Have epistemological humility for this stuff.

Its not the 3 link vs 4 link vs 5 link thats relevant as much as it is a re engineering of the geometry. it is tremendously different when designed with the kinematics in mind. Suspension design for quantifiable things is not subjective - avoid anecdotes here. Have epistemological humility for this stuff.
This thread is engineering cancer

Engineering cancer sure, but like with everything most can and do live without perfection. Does the rear geometry suck yes. Will most fix that, definitely not. Could my front geometry be better. For sure. Will I change any of that? Aside from lifting the rear panard and adding longer lower links, probably not. Not worth the fab in my mind. These truck will always suck at speed. It’s to be a ok crawler and a slow highway pig.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I raised my panhard (DIY) prior to redoing the rear suspension and also lowered the frame mount. In my experience it made no difference in the truck's handling and I'd even go as far as to say these glowing reviews are a bit placebo. There's a lot more to the rear suspension geometry aside from just the panhard. My truck is not that tall and I was still sitting at 15º of oversteer before I redid the rear links which is really bad.

Stock rear suspension on my truck w/ raised panhard:

UVAIxPp.png

I wanna look into what making the lower links longer would do for all this. Kinda curios. And not mess with the top links/panard

I wanna look into what making the lower links longer would do for all this. Kinda curios. And not mess with the top links/panard

Follow what Nukegoat did and ditch the panhard all together. I cut everything off my axle and made it harder than it really needed to be but you'll see that this can be a pretty simple DIY project and you can reuse all of the factory upper link mounts, both on the axle and at the frame. The hardest part will be making the removable crossmember

Double triangulated rear 80

I triangulated the rear. Ended up narrowing the frame as well from the C pillar back to accommodate the new gas tank. The difference in flex is significant and it justifies 16" + travel coilovers, but to be totally str8 forward I have not had a chance to take it to the trail and real world it through its paces works well in the Dunes, but need to add Sway bars/anti rock so it doesn't break loose at speed.

20160304_133551.jpeg

20160304_171724.jpeg

IMG_4765.JPG

Engineering cancer sure, but like with everything most can and do live without perfection. Does the rear geometry suck yes. Will most fix that, definitely not. Could my front geometry be better. For sure. Will I change any of that? Aside from lifting the rear panard and adding longer lower links, probably not. Not worth the fab in my mind. These truck will always suck at speed. It’s to be a ok crawler and a slow highway pig.

Well, please change your signature to "I also 3-link 80s without regard for math or engineering"

I triangulated the rear. Ended up narrowing the frame as well from the C pillar back to accommodate the new gas tank. The difference in flex is significant and it justifies 16" + travel coilovers, but to be totally str8 forward I have not had a chance to take it to the trail and real world it through its paces works well in the Dunes, but need to add Sway bars/anti rock so it doesn't break loose at speed.

View attachment 1798717

View attachment 1798718

View attachment 1798719
Moving the gas tank changes a LOT about these rigs. Kudos - that looks well done

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom