FJ40 Pics from "Back in the day" (70's, 80's) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Practicing for the Baja 500 in my 1975 FJ40 circa 1978.

Here's a nice photo (from Gregg Hillmar's webpages) of a typical Southern Nevada Land Cruisers run in the late '80s. I believe this was taken after we moved from Las Vegas in March 1986. We hadn't bought our first FJ40 yet, but were (I believe) one of the first FJ60 owners in the club with our new '84 FJ60, which we still own.

SNLC Run.jpg

Exploring Iowa side of Missouri river near Council Bluffs with my brother circa 1978.

Not a photo of my FJ40 but hopefully forum members will cut me some slack on this illustration I drew back in the day circa 1980.

@4Cruisers excellent pic, thanks for posting. Back in the day I was drooling over them and like @RAGINGMATT I had the dirt bike but not the sweet 40. I work on two of them now, my ‘78 and my brothers ‘76. So cool looking back!

So i was tellin my mom about this thread and how i had posted some pics awhile back and she said that she had some pics of her racing a FJ40 back in the day. i was kinda shocked. how did i not already know this. when i was a little squirt my dad raced a J:censor:p. i knew that, and vaguely remember it. manly the eagle on the hood, and the day he sold it cause we had to walk back from where he parked it with the for sale sign. he had boxes of trophies i remember in storage. when i was a kid i remember looking at them. So mom tells me how the were at a race and her friend had a land cruiser and they teamed up boys against girls for this race, my dad and the friends husband in dads J:censor:p and my mom and her friend in the Land cruiser so here are a few pics of my mommy at the 1982 4x4 jamboree in chloride AZ
File1.jpg
File.jpg
File2.jpg

Heres a pic of my dads Rig
File3.jpg

Heres a pic of me and my dad the same day im doing some kind of kids game
File6.jpg

Well I hit one of those mile stones today I turned 60! Thirty nine years of owning over a hundred Toyota trucks and counting! Twenty five years old with my first one and yesterday with my fj ! The picture was taken in the same spot! I am truly blessed!!!!

View attachment 1798538

View attachment 1798539
The day I turned 60 I told a friend 15 years my senor. He looked at be for a second and said "I have underwear older than that".
You wearing the same overall's?

The day I turned 60 I told a friend 15 years my senor. He looked at be for a second and said "I have underwear older than that".
You wearing the same overall's?
Not the same overall’s ! But I still have that coat! I was going to wear it to but it’s in a box somewhere?

... Thirty nine years of owning over a hundred Toyota trucks and counting! Twenty five years old with my first one and yesterday with my fj ! The picture was taken in the same spot! ....
homer_thinking_2.jpg

...would change the automobile brand, Sir
seems Toyota last not long.

switch to a
10-most-expensive-classic-cars-9.jpg

A must to visit.
Cité de l'Automobile
& one of the best places for dining on the Globe the Alsace / french region
"Alsace is a historical region in northeastern France on the Rhine River plain. Bordering Germany and Switzerland, it has alternated between German and French control over the centuries and reflects a mix of those cultures. Its capital, Strasbourg, is centered on the Ill River’s Grand Île island, bordered by canals and home to the Gothic Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Strasbourg, with its animated astronomical clock."

Last edited:
Well I hit one of those mile stones today I turned 60! Thirty nine years of owning over a hundred Toyota trucks and counting! Twenty five years old with my first one and yesterday with my fj ! The picture was taken in the same spot! I am truly blessed!!!!

View attachment 1798538

View attachment 1798539
Awesome pictures.....I absolutely love the before and after pictures.

I can't imagine how nice it would be to go back for a short time to the days when life was just much less complicated. This is a wonderful thread, please keep sharing as it is the only way to relive these great memories.

There sure are alot of different striping designs pictured here.

Was there a specific set of Toyota desinged stripes styles for these old 40’s or did each dealer farm out the striping work to local paint shops who designed their own?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom