Planning for my first shakedown run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been inspired by ERIK95LC's "Dunes" thread, and all the excellent suggestions therein, to post my own N00b thread and ask some advice. I got my 93 FZJ80 (no-lockers) about a month ago, and honestly I'm a bit embarrassed that I still haven't gotten it dirty yet. I'm new to Cruisers, but not so new to 4-wheeling.

I've got Thursday off work to go do a shakedown run. I'm thinking of hitting up Hungry Valley for the first time in over a decade. Rowher Flats is were I used to take the my old Heep XJ to test things out, but there isn't much there other than the 3 main trails. I'm looking for someplace to flex it out, test its limits, not break or damage anything too expensive, and come home safe. This isn't about pushing the limits: I'll be alone in an unfamiliar car. Think of this as an off-road test drive, what would you check in a controlled environment? I'd rather learn at Hungry Valley with a thousand rednecks there to help you out than on a hard trail in a remote location.

The question is, what should I look out for on a first-run? I plan on finding a nice ramp or rock to test my articulation and check for binding. I'll be testing out my low-range for the first time since the test drive, make sure the CDL engages properly in low. Anything else I should check? Any tests you would recommend while I'm out? Anything I should avoid (other than crashing)?

Have you checked out your sway bar links? And.... greased up?

Just have fun, its an older vehicle and this may be its first time stretching out in its natural habitat in a very long time depending on P.O.'s uses. Creaks, groans, small popping sounds are to be expected. The first time I took mine out the weekend after buying it, the wife thought it was going to blow apart on us.

Part of this is to test out the mods by the PO. It has 863 rears and unknown fronts (probably 850s, L-Shocks all around) with a healthy case of stinkbug and yellow caster bushings. The rear sway appears to have drop brackets of some sort, front looks stock to me. Bump stops look factory too, hence wanting to find out my limits for flex. I take it that at full front flex I'll be hanging from the swaybar, correct? It's rust free, but do I need to worry about ripping those mounts off the frame or anything? I never flexed my Heep without disconnecting the sways first, so this is why I want to learn as much as I can on Thursday without tearing my car apart. I've checked the axle grease, but haven't done any maintenance yet other than re-sealing the front pinion.

As for the creaks and pops, it's a 25 year old car; it does that on level pavement.:flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom