Alexander Mackenzie Trail August 2019 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

canadian bum

SILVER Star
Threads
Well I think it's time we had ourselves a good challenge as far as trail runs go. We have been pretty laid back so it would be good to once again get ourselves out there and refresh just how well we all work together on multi-day long distance trips. Aiming for August 1st to 12th as a window. Lets see what we have for those interested. And if there are some new comers interested in attending this lets get you out on the trails prior to this trip so that you can be introduced to the group and set up for the trail ahead.

Pencil me in! I hope to even have new tires on so they don't rub. Hate to be out done by a mildly outfitted 4Runner again ;)

I would suggest checking that early Aug is doable though. There are several large river crossings that can be quite deep depending on the time of year. The ppl I have talked to about this all said to do it late Aug even into early September.

Pencil me in! I hope to even have new tires on so they don't rub. Hate to be out done by a mildly outfitted 4Runner again ;)

I would suggest checking that early Aug is doable though. There are several large river crossings that can be quite deep depending on the time of year. The ppl I have talked to about this all said to do it late Aug even into early September.

September will be the Dusy, Marlin Roundup and Fordyce.

Don't worry you won't be out done by the 4runner on this trip because I'll be taking this haha...
20180905_225627.jpg

If I am around it sounds awesome. My truck is in mostly good working order but could use a few shake down runs this winter. i feel my biggest issue is the rate of fuel consumption...although on 44's and tons and cant believe the taco will be any better.

If I am around it sounds awesome. My truck is in mostly good working order but could use a few shake down runs this winter. i feel my biggest issue is the rate of fuel consumption...although on 44's and tons and cant believe the taco will be any better.

41.5s haha fuel economy tires you know.

how are you going to take enough fuel to take that thing on a multi-day trip? tidy tank?

how are you going to take enough fuel to take that thing on a multi-day trip? tidy tank?

Engage :turtle: mode. Just because it's big doesn't mean it needs to have the guts driven out of it haha. Not even trailering it either. Driving there doing the trail and heading stateside for a month and a half of wheeling and camping. Current fuel consumption will probably be par with a gas cruiser hahaha

yes, exactly my point. There isn't a gas cruiser that can carry enough fuel to do that trip. The expedition overland guys had to take a trailer to carry fuel cans and they had to exit the trail mid-point and fill-up all of the gerry cans and go back to the mid-point to fuel all of their trucks up.

They only carried fuel for one full tank in each vehicle. I have enough jerry cans currently that fits across the front of the bed 6 total that give me an extra tank and a half. I used that set up for a Yukon trip I did a couple years back. I had a Tacoma before on 37s that was a little lacking in gearing and it wasn't actually that bad on fuel. This one isn't all that much bigger with proper gearing and a 4.7 V8 which gets better mileage than the V6. I'm not expecting economy car mileage but I'm not expecting to have blown alchohol monster truck mileage. Not to mention wind resistance won't be a factor at wheeling speeds.

Before I found I used less fuel with the bigger truck wheeling because I wasn't taking multiple attempts or needing momentum to get over obstacles. Just because YouTube suggests removing the throttle pedal and installing an on off switch doesn't mean its required.

I don't imagine my highway fuel consumption will be that great. Wind resistance will come into play then. My old truck would still get over 400 km to a tank so I'm interested to see how it fairs. But I'm not worried about requiring a trailer for fuel in the least.

It's pretty crazy how people just assume that going up a couple inches in size equals out to a tank per mile. This is my old Tacoma and it was on 37s SAC and my only vehicle I drove it everywhere and didn't notice much of a fuel difference on the highway. And I'm lowering the new one a little by moving the engine back so the axle clears the oil pan.

FB_IMG_1537891430743.jpg

I like watching the XO guys. But like anything at times they do over embellish things from time to time. And actually kind of still make silly mistakes. They have so much sponsor gear to back around they don't have room for the actually neccessary equipment like fuel. It was there second attempt at the trail so they should know to bring more than 2 tanks especially their vehicles. 2 4runners. My 4runner gets just under 500 km of nice highway driving range. How could they expect to drive 6 days of 10 hour days on 2 tanks alone.

I got a kick out of there submarine chainsaws as well in the one water crossing. Good idea having them accessible for when they need them. But I bet there was some off camera concern when they realized that they sunk their saws.

Too busy making sure there is sponsor placement, some action for the viewers and getting footage to put the focus into what they are doing. And a mistake like that could have potentially ruined their second attempt at the trail.

There are others that have done this trail and even with a 40 series and it is tough but it's also not going to be that bad for our group anyways. We can do without the luxuries and if I need to I can throw another 6 Jerry cans in for good measure because I've got room and I'm sponsored by my wallet so it doesn't seem to care if I have to find a place to put some product that wouldn't really be beneficial to the specific trip but it has to be packed along and brought out and used. So having all the sponsors is nice but when it comes down to it can cost you more in the experience because of no room for fundamentals.

There have been many groups that have done this trail without a trailer and as far as I know the XO guys and someone with an FJ cruiser brought a trailer on it. The FJ trailer broke early on so it didn't even really count.

6 Gerry cans across the bed of your truck answers my question.

I agree with your assessment of the XO guys, but their trucks aren’t orders of magnitude worse on fuel than we will be. We just need to pack more fuel than them.

I know with Walt, in the winter, Nordegg to ruby lake and back is ~90L for me, and that’s a bit of dirt road and trail driving. An FJ40 that we had with us was ~110L.

My FJ40 will carry 170L total including the swing out, but I’m not sure that’s enough to do this trip with a 350 under the hood.

6 Gerry cans across the bed of your truck answers my question.

I agree with your assessment of the XO guys, but their trucks aren’t orders of magnitude worse on fuel than we will be. We just need to pack more fuel than them.

I know with Walt, in the winter, Nordegg to ruby lake and back is ~90L for me, and that’s a bit of dirt road and trail driving. An FJ40 that we had with us was ~110L.

My FJ40 will carry 170L total including the swing out, but I’m not sure that’s enough to do this trip with a 350 under the hood.

Oh yeah I have capacity to carry fuel. And could maybe even carry some for other people if needed. Although I'm big on people being self sufficient I want everyone to enjoy so I have a 6 foot box and will have room. So those who want in that can't carry fuel better call the space I may have and how much space required.

I built a roof rack when we planned on doing this trip last year. 6 x 20L cans, plus more if I needed to strap more in, and 2 x 20L on my bumper. That better be enough!!

It was my first time welding smaller tube, *fingers crossed*

I built a roof rack when we planned on doing this trip last year. 6 x 20L cans, plus more if I needed to strap more in, and 2 x 20L on my bumper. That better be enough!!

It was my first time welding smaller tube, *fingers crossed*

I am collecting parts to build the gas can swing out over the next few weeks. Would like a test run or two to see if it holds up or falls apart!

Following

I plan to run the trail this year. Hopefully forest fires aren’t bad, they forced us to cancel last year

Have you noticed if anyone ran the trail last year? I know a group that tried but didn’t get very far

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom