Bought an '05 4R for Danise and the kids (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I own three Toyota products ranging from '99 - '08. I have several friends and family members that also own similar vintage Toyota products. Seems like it would be a good investment to have my own copy of Techstream. What is the process for getting the Techstream software? I see that you have to buy a mini-VCI cable but it's not clear if there are specific versions for specific years or compatibility with the software. Then, where do you get the software? Do you pay an annual subscription or just when you want to update the software? Searching on Google results in a lot of different information and it's not clear to me what is right.

my aliner is #1670 dry, I call it ~2k loaded and shoot for 225 tongue or so... FWIW

i did finally put airbags in the rear coils. improves towing experience, but 5psi min pressure means you feel the non linear stiffness unloaded in road bumps if you know what you are looking for. Jen says she can't tell.

I like your idea of swapping sides with the sensors. The code coming up is P0430 which is indicative of "Bank 2". From what I can see, there are 4 cats with an O2 sensor located between the first and second cat on each side. I can't see on the diagram I'm looking at if there are any O2 sensors downstream of the second set of cats.

I could wait until the next breakfast but I need to get it registered now. So I need to pay for an emissions test and have it fail. Then I need to take it to a shop and pay them to diagnose it so they can give me a written estimate showing the repair is over $300. Then I have to take that information to the Vehicle Pollution Management division on Broadway to request an extension to get it into compliance. Then I can get a license plate for it. Otherwise I'm driving it around town without a license plate, risking getting a ticket for not having a plate on it.
Actually, you can go to the DMV and get a temp tag, which will give you 30 days to complete registration.

Lots of info in the 100s section on techstream. Not sure how to link to it.

I bought mine on Amazon. It was more expensive than some others, but the seller linked to my computer from China and got it running in no time. I used a computer with no personal info on it so I wasnt worried. You watch what is going on the whole time anyway .

Actually, you can go to the DMV and get a temp tag, which will give you 30 days to complete registration.
I asked the person at the MVD when I was getting the title and she said that I could not get a temp tag for it. I called MVD Express today and they also said I cannot get a temp tag for it.

Oh ok. That just seemed pretty heavy for tongue weight on a kamparoo. How does your 80 do pulling that much? I quit pulling our 5000lb travel trailer with the LX and now use the wife's GX. It pulls it a lot better.

The 80 feels safer to tow 7,000# load with it because it also weighs 7,000# and I feel more secure. However, the 4runner with 4.7 does a better job in some ways but it only weighs 5200# so I tend to be uber cautious with that load. I routinely tow 5,000# with the 4runner and feel fine doing it. I've been hauling water to the house since the well pump issue and that tends to be about a 3500# load and its easy peasy with that 4.7. Towing water is "interesting", to say the least.

Towing water is "interesting", to say the least.

Haha. Ain't it? I lived on Gonzales road off of 217 for 5 years. I would haul 300 gallons at least every other day. Gets real fun when it's icy. Always best to make sure the tank is as full as you can get it.

Marc - Sorry to hear about the emissions and registration hassle. I had never heard of Techstream before, so I am learning a lot from this thread. I am curious to hear how much the software costs and how it works. It sounds like a scan tool on steroids, that gives you much more detailed information about what the problem is?

Here's hoping that the repairs don't cost too much, once you get it all figured out.

In any case, you will enjoy the oil changes!

Marc - Sorry to hear about the emissions and registration hassle. I had never heard of Techstream before, so I am learning a lot from this thread. I am curious to hear how much the software costs and how it works. It sounds like a scan tool on steroids, that gives you much more detailed information about what the problem is?

Here's hoping that the repairs don't cost too much, once you get it all figured out.

In any case, you will enjoy the oil changes!

Techstream is a software that I *think* is pirated from Toyota and sold from China :flipoff2: I'm sure there are softer ways to make that statement but that's the bottom line I *think*. The connection cord is proprietary that makes the software connect to your Toyota vehicle and that's what cost the actual money. So, if you want to change the TPS to alert you at 15 psi instead of 25 psi, you can make that change.

Just to give y'all an idea of the complexity of these modern rigs, my '03 4Runner has no less than EIGHT ECU's. I kid you not, there's an ECU for the rear hatch, LOL :bang: I can't imagine how many ECUs Lizzy's 4Runner have, maybe ten?

So, this begs the question, how many ECUs does James Bond's DB9 must have? Let's see one for the machine gun, one for the oil slick producer, one for the seat ejection system, one for the front mounted/hidden behind the headlights rocket launcher, one for the underwater submarine mode....:smokin:

Just to give y'all an idea of the complexity of these modern rigs, my '03 4Runner has no less than EIGHT ECU's. I kid you not, there's an ECU for the rear hatch, LOL :bang: I can't imagine how many ECUs Lizzy's 4Runner have, maybe ten?

So, this begs the question, how many ECUs does James Bond's DB9 must have? Let's see one for the machine gun, one for the oil slick producer, one for the seat ejection system, one for the front mounted/hidden behind the headlights rocket launcher, one for the underwater submarine mode....:smokin:

my car allegedly has over 40 "control modules"... JB would have a classified number more than that if I was to speculate...

Shoot there are 10 ecus on my 98 lx. The wifes gx has way more.

I like to think of the version of techstream I bought as the stand alone version. Pirated and unauthorized sounds so bad .

Techstream is Toyota's software, if it can be changed or read on the ecu techstream will do it. It works only for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion.

Techstream is a software that I *think* is pirated from Toyota and sold from China :flipoff2: I'm sure there are softer ways to make that statement but that's the bottom line I *think*. The connection cord is proprietary that makes the software connect to your Toyota vehicle and that's what cost the actual money. So, if you want to change the TPS to alert you at 15 psi instead of 25 psi, you can make that change.

Geez. Maybe it would be better to just inconvenience some local friends than try to jump into the 'pirated' Techstream game.

The emissions gods smiled upon me on Friday. I deleted the code I was getting, filled the tank with premium and put a new gas cap on it in the morning. I drove the heck out of it all day and then had it tested in the evening. It passed! I have a plate now so lots of stress reduction. Now I just need to worry about the cycling brake pump, and the transmission that seems to wait for 10 seconds to shift into 1st after coming to a stop and makes the vehicle surge forward a little at the stoplight.

Got some remote door lock fobs in the mail yesterday and got them programmed. Hood struts, extra keys, dash illumination lamps, driver's sun visor are all on order. Fixed the severed body ground at the negative battery terminal. Fixed the window that was making a popping noise when the window went up and down.

Great news - progress!

and the transmission that seems to wait for 10 seconds to shift into 1st after coming to a stop and makes the vehicle surge forward a little at the stoplight.

A drain and fill for the transmission fluid should fix that. My 97 would start doing that just before my annual drain and fill. ~6qt of Max Life ATF if I remember right

Mine does it too, what was the issue?
I don't know. I never figured it out. Nothing was loose and once the door panel came off it stopped making the noise. I put it all back together and it doesn't make the noise anymore. The only thing I could find was a paperclip laying on the ground that I don't think was there when I started the door panel removal.

Did you get keys yet?

I did get the keys. They look like factory units, even though they're probably Chinese knock-offs. I have not attempted to do the 47-step self-programming. Do you know if Techstream has the ability to run some diagnostics on the ABS/VSC system? I'd like to attempt to get a better idea of what the problem is that is causing the boost pump to kick on every 10 seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom