Bump Stops (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Little help please.

Does anyone know the standard/normal distance between the bump stop and the axle. Mine was 50mm when i got it. Seems a bit of a small gap.

The reason I'm asking, is I'm getting tire rub on the inside front fender (285/75 R 16 or 33 x 11ish).
I have a 500mm 2" lift.

Thanks in advance

dist.png

Last edited:
Standard front bump stop gap on a brand new 60 was less than 25mm (1 inch).

Standard front bump stop gap on a brand new 60 was less than 25mm (1 inch).
I've been wondering about this spec as well. I understand that it's not a set standard but should be within a range. 25mm seems low however.

In 1988 I went to a Toyota dealership and test drove a brand new FJ62 on the lot. Holy cow did I love that vehicle, but at $23,000 there was no way I could afford it (paying w cash).
I took a very careful look under the truck, checking everything out and noticed (shockingly) how little space there was between the front bump stop and the top of the axle housing.

In all honesty, I recall the gap being like 3/4" to 1/2". That really stuck in my mind - how little down travel the springs had. I don't even think it was 1 inch (25mm). But it's been 30 years since I peeked under there so my memory could be wrong. But definitely the down travel was shockingly small. That really left an impression on me.

The stock cruisers are supposed to ride over the little vibrations on pavement using just the springs. But the moment they hit a bump- the fronts were designed to ride on the stops. The rears had several inches of travel.

Very interesting! I would say my springs have inverted then! My rears are close to the stops while the fronts are a mile away!

I was just checking my distance today on truck I just bought this week and it measured about an inch. Didn't think that was correct but maybe it is.

IMG_20190818_163548103.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom