Hub/diff ID for parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to fix diff seal leak on my BJ40 and also want to replace tie rod ends but 1 of the previous owners had disc brake conversion done...due to not being very mechanically knowledgeable I am not too sure if the whole diff was replaced or just the hub or how to ID what vehicle it's come from, although assuming hubs may be from a 60 series or maybe a BJ42 as other random parts seem to be from a BJ42...
I went in to Terrain Tamers yesterday who requested the number on the kingpin bearing so they could get the right swivel hub kit...the bearing number is TRO305A...they also suggested that to get the right tie rod end replacement parts I needed to bring them all in...Is there an easy way to ID what vehicle this has come off for future part replacement??
Also any tips on anything else to look at replacing while I'm there as it seems the previous owners were too tight for maintenance and or getting anything fixed, so not much has been done to BJ for many years...Thanks in advance.
The bearing number was given to Terrain Tamers this after noon and was advised the hub is from a 75 series...so now I am even more confused!!! I've only ever read of 60 series hubs that have been fitted or other 75 series steering parts for power steering conversions, mine does not have PS tho...

Last edited:
IMAG0060.jpg
IMAG0061.jpg
IMAG0062.jpg
IMAG0064.jpg

Having just done a disc conversion to my BJ40, let me see if I can weigh in; I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the foremost expert, but I think I can address this.

1. I think you're talking about the inner axle seal (that sits between the knuckle ball and the axle housing...). It's available at a lot of places. @cruiseroutfit is where I get my axle parts. That part won't matter if someone has done a disc brake conversion as it sits in the housing not the knuckle.

2. Let's assume someone *has* done a disc brake swap. It is most likely - and it appears from your photos - that they used late (79+) FJ40 knuckles, FJ60 knuckles or mini truck knuckles. In any case they'd have had to use a steering arm that fits the knuckle. So again, late FJ40 or FJ60 most likely. And in most of these swaps it's FJ60 stuff. SO... IF all of that is correct, it stands to reason that you can get a TRE (again crouser outfitters.... - or others ofc, but Kurt's shop is good) for an FJ60 and the end will fit your arm. I can't speak off the top of my head about the threaded end.

Hope to help.
Regards,
Travis.-

PS. I note that in your in AUS.... might preclude you from shopping at some of the good US-based shops, but I think there's a pretty good (even enviable in some ways) network there too.

Thanks for your information Travis. I wasn't alerted to your reply, so I had no idea it was here...I only popped back to edit or add info to my blurb...
I really just want to ID the hubs and steering components donor vehicle(s), to make sure i get the right parts now and in the future...there has been a conversion on this one as is 1979 and I believe front discs were not in this year...My BJ has been highly neglected for many years, to the point it was very dangerous with 2 broken engine mounts, no handbrake and more...even came with a greenslip for registration from PO's mechanical mate... previous owner was a trainer and assessor in a mine which claims safety first, so obviously plenty of $$ but no care for the BJ or the safety of others...so giving how badly neglected it was I want to give it a bit of a birthday with a new hub kit, tie rod ends and a few other new steering components while I'm doing the inner axle seals...I intend it to be my daily driver so I need it to be safe enough...then i need to seal it as we are coming into out tropical rainy season where I live and the door seals are in pretty poor condition..
The bearing number was given to Terrain Tamers this after noon and was advised the hub is from a 75 series...so now I am even more confused!!! I've only ever read of 60 series hubs that have been fitted or other 75 series steering parts for power steering conversions, mine does not have PS tho...
Yes in Aust but I am in an area far far away from any of networking areas...been invited to be a driver/company for a very small Rd trip from Cairns to Darwin next month...I was going to take advantage of it and hunt up another 40 to buy and drive home, I have some wanted to buy adverts out already, but I think I have almost talked myself out of it as I've already got enough to deal with ATM..

First thing. I'd go here (FSMs for a hell of a price) and get one (or a few if you've got a conglomeration of vehicles) and see if you can ID the parts you need.
Additionally search on 'mud' for "knuckle bolt pattern" and you'll learn a little bit about the different steering arms and the diameters of the hole for the TRE and the angle of the steering arm (like here). There are guys on here who can tell you what parts you have just by seeing the angle of the steering arm (@beno, @Mace, @orangefj45, @cruiseroutfit, @lostmarbles - this last is, as far as I'm concerned, one of THE authorities on BJ series landcruisers, AND is at least in that same hemisphere as you...) and probably many others.... but those are off the top of my head). I am not one of those guys.
As you've already torn into the knuckle you may as well replace all the bearings and seals (maybe you planned this already, but only mentioned the axle seal...).
But yeah, grab an FSM and page through the bits on the steering knuckle/axle. That'll get you started in the right direction and you can build it back safer, and more capable than you got it. It'll take a few parts orders for sure, but that's what the internet is great for. I think you'll find that many of the parts are interchangable across models and years (late 40 to early 60, BJ/FJ, etc.) so once you can narrow down some of the measurements of your parts (e.g. the size of the knuckle studs and the distance between them, the diameter of the hole that accepts the TRE, etc) it won't matter so much what year/model they came from, you will know what the part actually *is* and can then speak to the specifics and people can tell you what translates.
I feel like I've rambled a lot and not given you the answer that you need. But hopefully this will get you one more step down the road.
HTH, Travis.-

Yeah thanks Travis, I downloaded FSM's before I got the vehicle home, just getting accurate parts first time as otherwise makes the job more stressful and costly...and thanks for all the other info...lots of ramble to a complete stranger with the idea to assist, tells me your a good egg!!!
thanks again for your time etc..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom