Increase Hand Throttle And Remote Start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
95 hdj81.

With winter coming quick, and my ACSD gone, and no idle up in the remote starter, I'm wondering about helping it out on really cold days. Is bumping the idle up to 1000 or so, then shutting off the vehicle so that when I hit the remote start it's already "up-idled" so it will actually warm up a not terrible idea? I'm talking -20c and worse generally.

95 hdj81.

With winter coming quick, and my ACSD gone, and no idle up in the remote starter, I'm wondering about helping it out on really cold days. Is bumping the idle up to 1000 or so, then shutting off the vehicle so that when I hit the remote start it's already "up-idled" so it will actually warm up a not terrible idea? I'm talking -20c and worse generally.

@asutherland figured out a way to tie into the AC idle up circuit for a high idle to increase alternator output for winching, that would be an easy fix for what you're looking to do as well I bet.

I had the trunk release for the command start on my '96 Hilux Surf wired to activate the high idle circuit (there was a button on the dash for this), which worked well for warming it up in the winter. You kind of needed to be able to see it to visually confirm commands were accepted even with a 2-way system I found. An automated system would work better.

My concern with leaving the hand throttle set would be that X% throttle input at operating temp was the same as X% throttle input when it's -30C, or will it cause the engine to race on a cold start? It feels like there's a lot that could go wrong, and if you're going to set a mechanical high idle following a cold start, you should be there in person to do it.

@asutherland figured out a way to tie into the AC idle up circuit for a high idle to increase alternator output for winching, that would be an easy fix for what you're looking to do as well I bet.

I like this idea, and may dive into doing that with my rig! Should only involve having a signal sent to the AC Idle Up VSV. May want to add a diode to the AC side as to prevent the compressor clutch from being engaged.

Yeah, remote idle up sure would be handy to have, coworker has it on his truck and it's sweet. I'm too cheap to go get a brand new style diesel starter installed, and have doubts the random installer idiots are going to be capable anyway.

Trunk release output to trigger an off delay timer set for 5 minutes (or whatever) might work. That can run a relay to trigger the ac up. If I get in the truck before set time is up, though, I'd need a way to shut off the timer early, or it would be quite unhappy at stop lights. Maybe just a cancel button beside the regular hand throttle.

Time to look at some wiring diagrams maybe...

The better option, albeit an expensive one, is a webasto. Total game changer. Set it to come on an hour before I leave work, start the engine and the temp needle comes up to half operating temp, blows heat now, power windows work as the glowplugs aren't draining the system, and you can keep running it while driving to bring you up to temp quickly.

I like this idea, and may dive into doing that with my rig! Should only involve having a signal sent to the AC Idle Up VSV. May want to add a diode to the AC side as to prevent the compressor clutch from being engaged.

Yes, that's exactly what I did... two diodes to keep either side from interfering with each-other.

Webasto or something similar would be nice, but if I'm too cheap for a new remote starter, that's definitely out of the question for now. Having the webasto triggered from an aux button on the remote would be even cooler.

I do have the luxury of a heated garage, and a different truck for work, so this only really applies when we are out for the day in the dead of winter, or on a snowboard trip. That makes it even harder to justify spending big bucks on any sort of solution.

Hence the already-in-place-and-working hand throttle being a very tempting practice on those rare occasions.

I've got a perfect solution for you for $100 or so.

Start car, depress throttle, pull hand throttle, twist. Walk away.

Send Dave $100 for saving you from complicating the s*** out of it. :hillbilly:

I don't think there's any issue with using the hand throttle to increase revs on cold starts to assist with warm up, but I'd set the level manually rather than set it when the engine is warm the night before as you originally suggested.

I personally wouldn't really worry about it. I've set my hand throttle with a warm engine and then started it up the next day with no issues (I was in the truck, but if I had a remote starter I wouldn't hesitate to do the same). What's the risk? You aren't going to come out to an engine bouncing off the rev limiter, the difference in rpm is a couple hundred max.

I'd just test it before I'd trust it is all. Plus I'd want to give the oiling system a chance to pressurize before bringing the revs up much beyond idle, especially on a cold morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom