1999 Vinyl Color On Top Of Door (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Daddy Rabbit

Sold 1999 LC 2005 LC Bone stock
Threads
Hi all..Getting my 1999 Cruiser ready to put on the market. Does anyone know what color the vinyl is on top of the door? It is faded where my arm has sat for the last 200000 miles. I bought a 2005 and its doing the same thing..Does not hurt a thing but I would like to find some dye to match it.. It is riverrock green with tan interior..chart 13 1c3/fa41 Thanks

Give Billy or Jessica a call at Luxury Leather Repair at 540-728-9147. Their website is autoleatherdye.com

Unfortunately they did not save a code for my project. I called Billy today and he said if someone would send an ashtray again he will create a code for future orders for our Landcruisers. If you mail the ashtray, they will mail it back free of charge with your order.

There is a form on the website you will need to print off and fill out to put in the box with your ashtray. They will then call you and you can pay by phone or on their website when they get your form and ashtray in the mail.

Also 10% off orders with code WELCOME10

I would recommend you get the kit for a few dollars more. It could comes with the cleaner prep, cleaning pads, towels, dye, sponges, and everything you need to do the project right. I believe it was around 60 bucks shipped for my kit which included 8oz. Of dye. You are going to need about 1-2 oz. per door for project. You can by 4oz. I think with the kit for around $30-35. This color should also match our dashboards if needed (mine is pretty good, so not going to mess with it).

I am going to freshen up my seats soon. I will make sure Billy does a code for future orders for those who are interested.

I have had a great experience working with this company.

That little door wear spot is one of my favorite things on my rig, it's part of the story of this 250,000-mile truck and how durable it is when you consider this is one of the few indicators of its true age and mileage. No harm in fixing it of course.

Perfect! Thanks!
I checked that thread. The ash tray in most trucks is going to be a different color than the upper door panel because of body oils and sun.

I got mine done at a local leather restoration shop, after trying two different dyes from online vendors. It looks like new now. You'll find companies that do this in any bigger city. After much attempt at DIY, I recommend you just pay to have it done right and have it look perfect.

You know, I've been thinking it might be interesting to put a leather pad on the sill, kind of like I've done for the center console top here:
full

I painted the faded part of the sill, but it has started to wear off. I might try this on my 98 in a nice tan color. The truck is an odd duck anyways--upholstery-wise.
1602936-58958bf94b5d05d56f29381ab5e41e29.jpg

Well alright then—camel leather is really nice. That photo doesn't do it justice!

Well alright then—camel leather is really nice. That photo doesn't do it justice!
Thank you. Coincidentally, my 1998 'Dhanno' just arrived from Dubai in Virginia today. My son took a couple of photos that give a better impression of the leather. It's quite a lot like saddle leather:
full

The other seats are covered in rather low-quality cow leather. My intention is to swap the other seats for those in my 2000 rust bucket that has a very nice interior. Here's a couple more photos of 'Dhanno':
full

That's a factory model 80 winch, complete with OEM control, grafted onto Dhanno.
full

My son took a photo of the worn bit of the sill:
full

It is about 19 inches long. I've decided to go ahead and make a pad similar to what I did on the headrest. My 98 has 500K on it so the wear is quite understandable.

Last edited:
My 98 has 500K on it so the wear is quite understandable.
I'm intrigued! That has to be one of the very few 100-series in the US that's ME spec? The hood ornament, that lovely "base" body and trim that we didn't get, even the color. Is it a diesel? Don't mean to thread jack so if you posted info elsewhere link me up please.

I'm intrigued! That has to be one of the very few 100-series in the US that's ME spec? The hood ornament, that lovely "base" body and trim that we didn't get, even the color. Is it a diesel? Don't mean to thread jack so if you posted info elsewhere link me up please.
Hey CC, I'm going to disappoint you unfortunately. The white 93 is the GCC spec truck. The sand-colored 98 is a US spec now re-patriated. It was a lease in Chicago, then sold to Oklahoma, then sent to Dubai several years back. No rust whatsoever, I'm happy to say. I got it here because I wanted a project I could send back to the US as a daily driver. (It is really hard to import anything less than a 25 year old car to the US.) Regarding the color, the prior owner had done that--I did't like it at first but when I repainted I kept it. Now I like it quite a bit. Kind of 60's feel to it. The black trim is the regular trim painted with flexible black bumper paint. My local garage did the welding for mounting the model 80 winch. I really like the way it is not to obvious--I was going for a 'from the factory' look. I really wish it were a GCC spec. I had a 2001 GCC spec and they commonly come with AC-driven fridges between the front seats--very effective fridges. Thank you for the kind words!

So here's what I'm going to try: putting a new leather pad on the top of the door over the worn vinyl. I'm not going to try to replace or re-color the vinyl but rather put something on there that hopefully will stand up to m arm sitting on that window sill. Here's the basic idea:
full

As my son's photos show above, the worn bits of the window sill are quite extensive and run maybe 19 inches. The leather pad I'm making will be roughly 21 inches long. I decided to make the pad a bit bigger just over the door latch. Here's the pattern I made:
full

And the resulting leather:
full

This hide had a large scar. I decided to use that part of the skin partly because I thought it was kind of cool and partly because my truck has plenty of other 'scars'.

Here's the beginning of the sewing holes layout process:
full

To make these holes I usually use a gang punch that does 4 or 6 holes at a time. It is a hollow punch so you get a real nice hole that is easy to sew. The downside is that you need to use a good sized hammer with it. A couple of nights ago the security guard came my door to ask me to stop because the neighbors were complaining that I was doing 'fixing' too late--it was about 9:45 pm. Reminded my why I really don't like apartment living, but in Dubai the only other option is a 'villa' which is way too big for my needs.

Completed (the next morning at a decent hour when the neighbors could complain):

full

And sewing begun:
full

That's where it is right now. I have about a week before I get on a plane for the US where I will put this on the 98.

The stitching for the window sill pad is mostly done:
full

It takes time but it is something kind of relaxing to do.

Would have made for a nice project on the plane ride over! (Needles are probably considered weapons of mass destruction by the TSA however.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom