Front bumper options for 2018 GX 460? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm having a tough time finding front bumper options for a 2018 GX 460. It looks like the bumper re-design in 2014 complicates things a bit but I'm surprised that I've barely been able to find anything at all aside from this build:

Builds - His and Her GX 460 Builds

And this 2016 (although I can't find any details on the actual build):

hqdefault.jpg

What other options are out there?

Right now ARB-style Prado 150 bumpers (including similar offerings from Dobinsons, Ironman, etc.) are the only real option for the 2014+ GX models. Kevin at Southern Style Offroad was working on a "stealth" bumper option but it has not come to fruition yet and I think the project is currently on the back-burner. There are some one-off custom jobs on the GXOR page on Facebook. For example, this one: Kenny Evans

Go onto GXOR's page on Facebook and do some searches to see what is available. But the picking are definitely slim. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

I just joined the GXOR page but havent had a chance to look around much yet.

Was hoping to find something that wouldnt require quite so much modification to the front bumber but I guess I'm out of luck.

Thanks for giving me a little direction!

I'm having a tough time finding front bumper options for a 2018 GX 460. It looks like the bumper re-design in 2014 complicates things a bit but I'm surprised that I've barely been able to find anything at all aside from this build:

Builds - His and Her GX 460 Builds

And this 2016 (although I can't find any details on the actual build):

hqdefault.jpg

What other options are out there?
With all due respect, that is not a bumper on the front of that GX in the picture. It's a "Damage Multiplier".
If you ever hit anything with that thing hanging on the front end, it will just bend back into your hood, front lights, grill, etc. These don't protect anything. They cause more damage than protect. If you're serious about front protection, you should only be looking at full metal bumpers (steel or aluminum).

Also, that's why I specifically purchased my GX 460 "2013" with low miles, was just because of the front bumper issue. I've purchased the Metal Tech front and rear bumpers myself. I'm still waiting for them to be installed along with a bunch of other mods. I should be getting it back in a couple of weeks. I'll post some pics when I get it back.

Yep, you got to hack it to rack it! Ironman 4x4 Commercial Deluxe Bull Bar - Australian old school style but very functional!

IMG_20180831_171629952_HDR_zpstf7lfuue.jpg

343a83fb-1046-49e5-a59d-77510dea4ccd_zpsq2oqi7mx.jpg

IMG_20180826_115033196_zpsoaejuiaz.jpg

Where did you get the bumper? Does it keep all the stock functionality like the headlight washers, sensors, etc? Thanks

I emailed McNeil Racing, they said they can only build that bumper if you bring them your vehicle, as they build each one custom. They said they are located in S. California area.

Chris Miller from Metal Tech just posted a picture of a Cut +14 front bumper on GXOR. This would indicate that they have something in the works.

Chris Miller from Metal Tech just posted a picture of a Cut +14 front bumper on GXOR. This would indicate that they have something in the works.
When I purchased my Metal Tech bumper from them, Chris mentioned there was something in the works for 2014 and newer GX's. I hope they have it more dialed in than what I purchased!
It was a headache getting the proximity sensors, both front and rear to work correctly. The stock bumpers have notches in the holes where the sensors mount in the bumper so the sensor is aligned correctly and reads correctly. The Metal Tech bumpers don't have these notches so you're having to play with these sensors to get them in the right orientation. Also, I understand the instructions were minimal too.
Albeit, this is what Eric at YotaMasters told me he had to deal with in getting them mounted.

Last edited:
Is it me or is the ironMan bumper the only one that covers up all the vulnerable parts like CV boots and rubber hoses? Anyone has the ARB front bumper?
I’m with you, we get a ton of scrub up here so less rock climbing clearance and more protecting would be nice.

HitchCrack pointed out to me that on my Metal Tech bumper on the passenger side, I have window washer hoses and attachments in harms way that I need to make a plate and attach it to that part of the bumper.
It doesn't need to be bullet proof, just enough to keep it from catching on scrub when on a trail. Probably use some 1/8" or less thick aluminum plate, paint it black and bolt it on. Done...

Last edited:
Kinda surprised there isn't better protection for CV boots even with A-Arm protectors that are available. I have full skids and A-Arm protectors on my ATVs as I have gotten torn boots with sticks in the past. Not a fun task rebuilding those. I notice not much forward coverage on current offerings.

Based off what I've read the RCI skids for the 4-runner work for the front LCA's, in fact, RCI has appeared to have assembled a full (or close to it) skid set based on what I'm seeing on their website. its a mix of a few models.

10-16 4Runner A-Arm Skids
GX 470 (actually 460 specific page)

Granted, the purpose of the skids is to protect the LCAs from damage, but they will also prevent branches, etc. protruding up through the middle of the arm. Limited solution to a limited problem.

The designs of most aftermarket bumpers are focused on improved approach angles. The natural effect is that it opens up the suspension area. Some front bumpers do better than others to guard that area, but I haven't seen any that shroud it completely. ARB probably has the best coverage for the 2014+ GX because of the lower shroud from the bottom of the bumper to the bottom of the radiator area.

Granted, the purpose of the skids is to protect the LCAs from damage, but they will also prevent branches, etc. protruding up through the middle of the arm. Limited solution to a limited problem.

The designs of most aftermarket bumpers are focused on improved approach angles. The natural effect is that it opens up the suspension area. Some front bumpers do better than others to guard that area, but I haven't seen any that shroud it completely. ARB probably has the best coverage for the 2014+ GX because of the lower shroud from the bottom of the bumper to the bottom of the radiator area.
Yea, but aren't those ARB bumpers like having a couple of anvils cantilevered off one's front end? How much to they weigh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom