Builds Meet Ivy, 1976 FJ40 w/VW TDI (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My story starts out pretty much the same as a lot of people's I read on Mud... A guy had her on cl for what seemed like a fair price. I knew not nearly enough about what I should be looking at or what to look for. Advertised as "ran before it was parked a few years ago" and as being "stock and complete". Exchanged a few emails then a few phone calls. Made a handshake deal over the phone since he was 4.5 hours away. Talked a friend of mine into going to pick her up since I wasn't able to get off work at the time. This is what she looked like when she got to her new home...the garage.... which, in my mind was going to be for only a couple hours while I got her running(this is where I started to climb down the rabbit hole). Put a battery in her and hit the key, clunk! huh... battery dead? No. Loose cables? No.. Upon pulling the plugs water apparently sat in the cylinders for the last decade they were so full of rust! So, if I was going to pull the motor out, I might as well pull it apart and do it right(this is where I went fully down the rabbit hole!) The second pic is up pulling her apart.

landcruiser1.jpg

landcruiser2.jpg

The back of the tub was pretty bad. So I just continued to keep on pulling it apart...
401.jpg
402.jpg

I did the usual mods, 60 axles(I have a parts 60), springs, power steering, and steering column.

frt axle.jpg
frt axle2.jpg
frt axle3.jpg

Good stuff! Do yourself a favor while it's apart and cover that frame with some POR-15

Good stuff! Do yourself a favor while it's apart and cover that frame with some POR-15

Thanks, yes, I am going to spray Chassis Saver on and then paint the frame over that. After sandblasting it of course.

That is a good idea! I haven't done anything with the doors yet, so that is a possibility.

I do want to give @brisveganbj42 a ton of credit. I pm'ed him, stalked his build on Phat42. He had a ton of measurements for the suspension. The goal is to still have plenty of flex while keeping it undersprung. My wife and kids don't want it so tall they can't get in and out easily...

@coog I thought you would also like to see the progress on the 40. Hope that 60 is purring along!

I clicked on this thinking I was going to see the TDI.:p

Are those Ruffstuff hangers you used for outboarding the front springs?

Yes, they are. I used them for the rear and used the stock 60 hangers on the front of the front springs. Outboarded them as well. You will see a TDI, I have to work a little in between posts. lol.

frame2.jpg

With a little more tear down... Here it is ready to be blasted. Along with the Ruffstuff frame boxing kit, the 60 rearend, spring mounts, ect.

@65swb45 Here is a pick of the gusseting on the Ruffstuff outboarded spring hanger. And a pic of the TDI for you.;)

lc5.jpg
lc6.jpg

I test fitted it and tacked up motor mounts before pulling it down.

When fitting the motor it worked out to have it 1 1/2" to the drivers side. Then the driveshafts were straight with the t-case flanges and trying to make sure I had front diff clearance... I was also making measurements for the battery and turbo fitment. The ac pump and belt routing made it tough to get it over that far. I pushed it as far as I could.

lc7.jpg
lc8.jpg
lc10.jpg

Being as I am at the other end of the spectrum from this, I have no idea how you got this hooked up to a stock tcase.

???

Were the gussets for the hangers also supplied by Ruffstuff? The reason I ask is that there is more substantial outboarding than the stock setup, and even the stock setup should be gusseted [I've seen quite a few bent.]

I watched @fc187 do this in his shop once, and he simply cut open a section of rectangular tubing to make a gusset, only his spanned the entire height of the frame rail, which impressed me as less likely to fatigue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom