[Rookie] Rebuilt his Center Arm and has questions... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, my mechanic skill set is 1...but I didnt let it deter me and I rebuilt my center arm today following the instructions here:
Center Arm Rebuild
and here:
Youtube video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYe8C08GWYk&t=151s

Seemed simple enough...but I have a few questions:
1- I think I overfilled with grease and looks like I popped the seal (see image below)...any easy way to get it back short of starting over?
2- How tight do I need to get the bottom bolt? It feels like its pretty damn tight, but I still have a small gap between arm and the bracket and it also has a bit of movement at the bottom bolt when turning the wheel back and forth. (see video below)
3- In the process of reinstalling the center arm my steering wheel is now off-center...how do I correct this? It was centered when I started.

Play in bottom of bracket/arm:

You can see the seal here:
Center Arm seal.jpg

Last edited:
I'm following .Wish I could help but I have a rebuild kit waiting to go in.

I should add that my steering wheel has zero play and the steering is tight and feels great on the road. It is very responsive. Previous to the rebuild I experienced a hard pull to the left when braking...this seems to be mostly gone, although I still feel some slight pull.

Im mostly curious if the play in the center arm shown in the video is normal or if I did something wrong. Id also like to straighten out the steering wheel.

O...and I used my wife pie spatula to try and push the seal back up...not sure if I was successful, but the pie is great.

Your steering wheel is splined. You can pull steering wheel and move it a tooth or two over.

I haven’t delved into a center arm yet. If you know Mark Algazy you could ask him. He knows center arms.

Can I remove the bottom bolt with everything in place, and pop the center arm off? Then push the seal back in and recenter the steering wheel, or would I need to completely remove the center arm first?

With that much play the seal will always pop out. You need to tighten the link..

Personally, I have never had much luck rebuilding the center link..

Yes, if you tighten it all the way, and the slop is still there, then you need a new center arm (or at least one that isn't as sloppy).

Yes, if you tighten it all the way, and the slop is still there, then you need a new center arm (or at least one that isn't as sloppy).

Should it be completely gone?

IMHO, if it has a new bushing in it already, you are in need of a new pivot housing.

Is this possible?

Can I remove the bottom bolt with everything in place, and pop the center arm off? Then push the seal back in and recenter the steering wheel, or would I need to completely remove the center arm first?

This movement is with the truck parked and engine off. Once the vehicle is on and power steering engaged its not so bad.

IMHO, if it has a new bushing in it already, you are in need of a new pivot housing.

You can pop the seal back into place without issue. But it'll come back out. The seal is not what stops that motion.

Power steering has nothing to do with the center pivot. The slop is still there, you just can't feel it as much. If it does not bother you then drive it. But, it'll be more comfortable if you have the center pivot fixed properly.

Last edited:
You can pop the seal back into place without issue. But it'll come back out. The seal is not what stops that motion.

Sorry I wasnt clear, I meant can I remove the bottom bolt with everything in place, and pop the center arm off? and recenter the steering wheel, or would I need to completely remove the center arm first?

Power steering has nothing to do with the center pivot. The slop is still there, you just can't feel it as much. If it doe snot bother you then drive it. But, it'll be more comfortable if you have the center pivot fixed properly.

ahh..ok thanks. Its not bad at all now...but the whole point of rebuilding it was to make it right.

I think the splines are notched so that the arm only goes on one way but I don't remember for sure.. Was the center arm to the pivot point the only thing that was changed? Meaning, was the steering wheel centered before you started playing with the center arm?

Last edited:
My truck only has 144,000 miles...I can't believe the arm or bracket could be that worn.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom