Taking the 80 to the dunes for the first time. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi all, new to the LC and i have a 95fzj80 ome 3.5 front 2.5 heavy kit w/ slee sway bar drop kit, castor correction plates, sitting on kumho road venture at51 size 305/70/16, slee center diff lock installed (no 7pin mod yet) (no front and rear lockers) front bumper with 12k winch also the majority of mechanical maintenance items addressed. i also have a compressor and i usually drop psi down to 17-20lbs on the trails for a softer ride and traction of course.

growing up i rode dirt bikes, quads and driven sand rails in the dunes. familiar with approach and departure as well as with steering clear from craters.

as i have driven dirt trails and dry sand washes in my 80 it has performed really well. i have had this vehicle for approx 6 months.

wondering if you guys have any tips e.g. (2nd start) (t-case in L or H) (Tranny in D or L) we would also spray the vehicles with wd-40 to prevent rust. is this a good idea underside of the 80 as well? As noted above i will be airing down.. im not sure what the 80 is capable of, if i should stay close to the beach or if its safe to venture out into the dunes. BTW im going put to Pismo.

thanks in advance!

MVIMG_20180915_115715.jpg

These rigs are very heavy, which makes them not the greatest in the sand. I would air down to 12-15 lbs depending on your driving style, you will be fine to venture into the dunes. I always prefer to stay in low to make it easier on the rig. Just good driving habits and you should be fine, don't stop at the bottom of a hill, don't slam your brakes to stop, don't go down a hill you couldn't go up unless you see another path around it, and if at all possible go out w/ a friend in another ride.
Have fun, be safe, good luck

Flag

These rigs are very heavy, which makes them not the greatest in the sand. I would air down to 12-15 lbs depending on your driving style, you will be fine to venture into the dunes. I always prefer to stay in low to make it easier on the rig. Just good driving habits and you should be fine, don't stop at the bottom of a hill, don't slam your brakes to stop, don't go down a hill you couldn't go up unless you see another path around it, and if at all possible go out w/ a friend in another ride.
Have fun, be safe, good luck
Thanks! Yeah my driving style is pretty mellow in the 80, I respect this truck...my younger days I loved going fast and jumping high, now I'm just about exploring and getting back home. So far I've taken this on many camping/ off road trips and have only dealt with minor repairs AFTER I get back. Really impressed with this truck.

Look at "exhaust bag jacks" , and notice if someone in party has one.

Take a spare tie rod ends
I have a new set of tie rod ends, should I swap before going? My 80 has 230k miles..I started to swap em when I did the lift but they were really hard to remove so I left em for another day..

Dont try to jump it like your bikes. The 80 tends to land nose 1st and the front axle housings are not proof.

Just air down and have fun. 18psi if the sand is not super soft. Lower if it is. 4L is a good plan if the sand is soft, even though the auto can cover a lot of issues in 4H you are stressing stuff for no good reason and more likely to overheat.

Sand dunes are fun. Yep, sand flag for sure. Don't blindly drive over the peak of a dune assuming the other side is the same slope as the climbing side - but you already know that.

dune2.jpg

cheers,
george.

Just air down and have fun. 18psi if the sand is not super soft. Lower if it is. 4L is a good plan if the sand is soft, even though the auto can cover a lot of issues in 4H you are stressing stuff for no good reason and more likely to overheat.

Sand dunes are fun. Yep, sand flag for sure. Don't blindly drive over the peak of a dune assuming the other side is the same slope as the climbing side - but you already know that.

dune2.jpg

cheers,
george.
Thanks George - I'll give 4L a go, great picture! wish I had that rear mount for the spare, my full size spare takes up room on my departure angle (trying to decide if roof rack first or rear bumper) =\
Do you also use 2nd start or PWR?

Cheers!

Thanks George - I'll give 4L a go, great picture! wish I had that rear mount for the spare, my full size spare takes up room on my departure angle (trying to decide if roof rack first or rear bumper) =\
Do you also use 2nd start or PWR?

Cheers!

No need for 2nd start, the auto seems happy enough doing 'its' thing.. In 4L the ecu changes the shift points anyway and they feel decent enough that I've not bothered playing with the PWR button. Anyhow, you can play with the them and see what you prefer.

If you have lockers, they will likely dig you in more than just leaving the diffs open - at least in my playing around in the sand.

Of course sand comes in many flavours and texture, so what works great one day may not be good another day. Moisture content can and will make a huge difference.

cheers,
george.

No need for 2nd start, the auto seems happy enough doing 'its' thing.. In 4L the ecu changes the shift points anyway and they feel decent enough that I've not bothered playing with the PWR button. Anyhow, you can play with the them and see what you prefer.

If you have lockers, they will likely dig you in more than just leaving the diffs open - at least in my playing around in the sand.

Of course sand comes in many flavours and texture, so what works great one day may not be good another day. Moisture content can and will make a huge difference.

cheers,
george.
Gr8 thanks! (No lockers besides slee center diff lock)

Your all terrain tires are better suited for sand than someone’s mudders, so thats a plus. I always start out slow as to not dig, bring a shovel and some 2x6’s or tracks if you have em. Park facing downhill always, air down as much as you can safely.

Seriously, I almost died on those dunes in my 80.

Do not drive over anything you haven't gotten your own eyes on, and don't drive near the edge of a hole.

Also, pass the first dunes with all the quads, and drive to the further south dunes where the Jeeps are. You don't want to play around the teenagers on quads - too scary.

Good luck, and bring a strap.

Seriously, I almost died on those dunes in my 80.

Do not drive over anything you haven't gotten your own eyes on, and don't drive near the edge of a hole.

Also, pass the first dunes with all the quads, and drive to the further south dunes where the Jeeps are. You don't want to play around the teenagers on quads - too scary.

Good luck, and bring a strap.
Thanks, I'll definitely be getting out to check anything out that I cannot see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom