Desert Air Intake 2019 Tacoma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ginericLC

Wagon Wheeler!
Threads

I was along for this trip and the video doesn't really do the intake the justice it deserves. The Tacoma air filter was roughly 1/3 dirty where as the 4Runner filter even with the pre filter was about 2/3 dirty. The conditions we were in were very extreme in terms of dust. It wasn't like we ran into one or two oncoming vehicles we were in a constant state of dust as there were a couple of lead vehicles in front of us and due to filming we were closely bunched up most of the time. Often we were too close as we'd lose sight of the vehicle in front of us. It works just like a snorkel but Toyota doesn't call it a snorkel because they want to keep idiots from submerging their rigs in water and wrecking electronics and other components that are not sealed. I normally don't get out of the Land Cruiser realm so I hope this is an appropriate share. BTW as a LC guy I really liked the Tacoma and for someone who wants to bomb down fire roads and through the desert the Fox shocks are pretty awesome too.

That was noticeably cleaner. When you corrected and said it wasn't a snorkle, is that because it isn't watertight? Seems like if your going to add it to your truck, that Toyota should have just made it water tight too... What do you think?

The reason Toyota doesn't call it a snorkel is because they don't want people fording rivers aimlessly. There is a huge liability on their part if people start doing that as the electronics are not sealed. Submersing electronics and even axles over and over will cause problems for them. People are stupid and they would say, "well you put a snorkel on it, it should have been able to take water on up to here." Imagine the warranty claims they'd have. And in the U.S. there will be more benefit from it for dust than there will be for water. Other than Alaska or flood situations fording a river is just not a normal occurrence.

The reason Toyota doesn't call it a snorkel is because they don't want people fording rivers aimlessly. There is a huge liability on their part if people start doing that as the electronics are not sealed. Submersing electronics and even axles over and over will cause problems for them. People are stupid and they would say, "well you put a snorkel on it, it should have been able to take water on up to here." Imagine the warranty claims they'd have. And in the U.S. there will be more benefit from it for dust than there will be for water. Other than Alaska or flood situations fording a river is just not a normal occurrence.

That makes perfect sense - thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom