LX470 vs. Landcruiser Tailgate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is the tailgate the same between the LX470 and Land Cruiser?

I know the emblems are different along with the chrome trim, but is there anything else?

My LX470 tailgate is rusty and for what ever reason the landcruiser ones seem to go for less.

the clading on the tailgate. lc100 dont have it. the top or bottom section? top i think are the same

Thanks. I should've specified I'm looking at the upper tailgate only.
Top is the same, bottom section is different between the two.

Oops, got my parts mixed up. The top, liftgate is the same, the bottom (tail gate) has an indentation for the cladding.

Last edited:
Thanks. I should've specified I'm looking at the upper tailgate only.

Hatch. I find it easier to refer to the top part as the hatch and the lower as the tailgate. Tailgate is definitely different between the LX and LC. Hatch is identical to my knowledge.

I have serious doubts that an LX tailgate is swapable with the LC tailgate. The lights are ever so slightly shaped different. I mean, the tailgate itself should mechanically work fine. But, you'd have a hard time finding matching lights. Your outboard lights would be different than the inboard and might look funny.

Take a look at the attached images and take note of the tail lights. The hatch/tailgate interface sure looks the same. But, the lower area of the lights is definitely differently shaped.

Very curious to hear if anyone has ever done a swap.

275 70 18 bfg ko2 8.jpg

Gobi Ladder.jpg

This is the only "upper tailgate with rust" thread I found so far. I can't help but notice a pattern. The upper tailgate of the 100 series LC and LX tend to have spot rust/bubble near the latch, sometimes (more rare) just below the glass. Last say the door latch spot rust, how does it happen? My theory is the latch assembly is an "inserted" unit and allows moisture to creep up and sit on the inner surface of the gate. Therefore, maybe once in a while someone should removve the assembly, check for rust and use Corroseal and fluid film.

This is the only "upper tailgate with rust" thread I found so far. I can't help but notice a pattern. The upper tailgate of the 100 series LC and LX tend to have spot rust/bubble near the latch, sometimes (more rare) just below the glass. Last say the door latch spot rust, how does it happen? My theory is the latch assembly is an "inserted" unit and allows moisture to creep up and sit on the inner surface of the gate. Therefore, maybe once in a while someone should removve the assembly, check for rust and use Corroseal and fluid film.

Usually water "creeps" in thru the 3rd brake light at the top and settles at the bottom of the tailgate. The latch happens to be at the lowest point which is water likes to go. That's what causes the rust down there. Always best to seal up that brake light and make sure it's tight so water doesn't get in.

Usually water "creeps" in thru the 3rd brake light at the top and settles at the bottom of the tailgate. The latch happens to be at the lowest point which is water likes to go. That's what causes the rust down there. Always best to seal up that brake light and make sure it's tight so water doesn't get in.

In the LX the third brake light is on the spoiler. I don't think that water can get into the tailgate thru there.

I'll double check mine anyway and perhaps spray fuild film around the brake light.... can you post the link to that good silicone product?

also I'll spray FF into the gate through the drain holes....IF i can find them on the 200 series.

In the LX the third brake light is on the spoiler. I don't think that water can get into the tailgate thru there.

Depends on year. For instance, my 98 has no spoiler and didn't come from the factory with one.

Just done working the tailgate at my Home Depot parking lot in the dark, with a headlamp on my head. I’m sure someone peed in the bush as the whole time I’m inhaling pee. Anyhow, I examine the upper gate, there is no drain hole and it seems they meant to encase the whole hatch. No in no out. When the gate is lifted, you can see two metal brackets wrapping around the corners on both sides. On the brackets, mounts the two rubber damper/door jam, they are fasten with a pair of 10mm screws. The metal brackets however, are not well rust-proofed. They rust a little along the edge. This rust is in direct contact with the painted hatch surface!! So I sprayed FF in between the bracket and the hatch (basically any metal to metal contact I sprayed). Also. The rubber damper hides a center hole, the only two holes opening to the cavity of the hatch. I sprayed inside towards the hatch edge too. I think I’m gonna paint the brackets with POR15 if I can pry the one plastic (metal?) tack rivet off to remove the brackets.

Does anyone have a good source for a LC upper hatch for sale or a good part number to see if they're still available new through Toyota?

@Jimi900 - since you're in Colo. Springs, call Best Foreign on 16th street. They have 3 100 series right now (1 new and 2 picked over) and the proprietor can search for a hatch elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom