Mark's Off Road Warehouse Fire Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I haven’t wasted any time. One of the more unique things I inherited from my dad that survived the warehouse fire was a dozen sheets of white plastic ranging from 1/8” to 1/2” thick. I may have mentioned them before in the thread about the 1.5 carat diamond. In any event, I decided that rather than continuing to work on the light-sponging green linoleum, I would cut one of the plastic sheets.

I spent part of Saturday and part of Sunday running power to the workbench and cutting a few odds and ends to fit. I’m already on my fourth carb at the now-well-illuminated workbench, which also has enough light to be a good photo backdrop!View attachment 1779149

@65swb45 When you get this jump seat i'm holding for you to your shop, it could bolt nicely to your swivel pedestal chair for more comfort.:idea:

@65swb45 When you get this jump seat i'm holding for you to your shop, it could bolt nicely to your swivel pedestal chair for more comfort.:idea:

Interesting thought John. However, the fact of the matter is that my chair came with a back, and I took it off...after it swiveled around one day and knocked a carb off the workbench.:mad:

So I’ve had my nose to the proverbial grind stone the last couple of weeks with a lot of great support from MUD users. Tina and I decided to take a couple of days off.

During our desert travels the last few years we befriended an older couple from Sandy Eggo who take monthly walking tours of Tijuana with some foodie friends. Since we renewed our passports last year before I went to Alaska, we already had the necessary documentation.
9B2297E0-BAD8-4084-954C-3003EA0EEA13.jpeg

We parked a few blocks from the border and walked across.

I hadn’t been to TJ since I was in college, and I never made it past the tourist traps and the rundown buildings. So they’re still there. But the evidence of modern culture is seeping in everywhere, and we ended up going to a couple of really good micro-breweries, along with some local food courts with no other gringos, where we ate well for reasonable prices.

Of course the streets and sidewalks are in bad shape, and even the interiors of the buildings are only slowly being improved.

In the first microbrewery they had a tiered floor plan, with a set of steps and a ramp connecting them, but no handrail between the two. Yours truly managed to cross from one to the other, proceeding to fall across the premise with all the grace of Dick Van Dyke. After three lunging, sprawling mis-steps I finally fell ending up on both knees, one palm on a sawdust floor...and one hand still holding my glass of beer, only having lost a half inch off the top!

My back is not happy about it, but I saved the beer!

Last edited:
So I’ve had my nose to the proverbial grind stone the last couple of weeks with a lot of great support from MUD users. Tina and I decided to take a couple of days off.

During our desert travels the last few years we befriended an older couple from Sandy Eggo who take monthly walking tours of Tijuana with some foodie friends. Since we renewed our passports last year before I went to Alaska, we already had the necessary documentation.View attachment 1796065
Fun! :cheers:
And you're alive to tell the tale? :confused:
I keep hearing how dangerous it is down there, squashing my boyhood fanticies of running down the peninsula...?
What time of day did you go and come back?
I'll put on my east coast flame suit, fire away :flipoff2:

Fun! :cheers:
And you're alive to tell the tale? :confused:
I keep hearing how dangerous it is down there, squashing my boyhood fanticies of running down the peninsula...?
What time of day did you go and come back?
I'll put on my east coast flame suit, fire away :flipoff2:

We’ve heard the stories too. We actually went very late in the day (almost 5pm), and stayed well past dark. And there were a couple of times where we went through alleys that were empty except for our group.

But we were in a group, and our hosts, while every bit as Anglo as us, know their way around the place, so at least we weren’t wandering like obvious tourists.

In other news, we donated the last of our 3 Suburbans to charity on Friday. I texted my wife and kids a pic of it being loaded on a transport. They all agreed it marked the end of an era.

Last edited:
Just getting over the flu at the moment, and my 83 year old mom calls me from the hospital two hours ago to tell me the doctors say she is in her final stages.

I ran myself down last Saturday after a hard bike ride helping her with last minute clean out of her house, which is supposed to hit the market this Friday. That probably made me susceptible to the flu in the first place.

So, it’s no fun right now.

I am not going to take any vehicles in for the rest of the month.

Sorry to hear about your mom. However, it's good that you are there to help. Keep your chin up!
John

Just getting over the flu at the moment, and my 83 year old mom calls me from the hospital two hours ago to tell me the doctors say she is in her final stages.

I ran myself down last Saturday after a hard bike ride helping her with last minute clean out of her house, which is supposed to hit the market this Friday. That probably made me susceptible to the flu in the first place.

So, it’s no fun right now.

I am not going to take any vehicles in for the rest of the month.

Mark, wish you the best man. Peace and strength. Take good care.
Good vibes from Mexico City.

Haven’t posted for a few weeks. Too much family drama. My sister says my mother’s being melodramatic; shouldn’t surprise me, but this time it did. But she’s not acting rationally, and every day is a new challenge.

My wife and I went camping for a few days to get some fresh air and get away from the drama. So now. I’m back at the shop, and no sooner do I get done taking two phone orders than the phone system goes out!!! Aargh.

Well, I’ve been having a lot of fun taking new pictures and updating my website. I’ve added several dozen new pics in the last month now that I’ve got the hang of the FileZilla platform. If you haven’t been there recently, check it out.

It would be helpful if I could learn how to embed part numbers into the photos, but I really can’t bug my daughter for more training right now. First, she and my son in law were evacuated because of the recent fire (ended up coming within 150 feet of their house!) and then I found out yesterday she’s two months pregnant and I’m going to be a grandpa!

So I’ve got plenty to be thankful for this holiday.

And I’m going camping with friends in the morning. :bounce:

Last edited:
I like the added photo’s. I see early-71 gas caps are listed as disc. Glad I got one from you. Would love to see a picture of you surrounded by all your carbs. I do recall seeing a portion of your carb stache.:D

Enjoy the camping Mark. I’m going to call you when you are back for some carb help with my 55 when you have time.

phone shystems, phone shystems

Set that big bag of family n biz drama down every chance U get. When I met ya and you helped meto build up the 74 FJ40, I was caring for my grandma who was terminal and very combative with dementia.......

Land cruiser whisperer Algazy helped keep me from tipping over the edge that year.......Time flys bruh

Nature finds a way, just like water seeks its own level.....Karma on your side mister

Peace, from Vancouver, BC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom